Gransnet forums

AIBU

I think I need to put my heating on..

(136 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Thu 24-Sep-20 17:33:48

Aibu to put the heating on? Have you put yours on yet? This is the first day I've felt chilly. My wall thermometer says it's 20C inside but this is an old house & my feet & hands are cold. I wanted to hold on longer before switching it on but I don't think I can.

ninathenana Thu 24-Sep-20 19:21:00

Still mild in Kent. Can't see us having the heating on for a while. If I felt chilly I'd put a cardie on.

PinkCakes Thu 24-Sep-20 19:33:42

I've just put the heating on. It's cold here, the cat has been crying grin but he's cosy now smile

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 24-Sep-20 19:43:09

We put ours on last night, nice and warm now.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Sep-20 20:01:38

A sniff of cold ours is on, much to my husband’s chagrin, I have Raynauds, annoying.

BBbevan Thu 24-Sep-20 20:02:51

Clipped our 2 duvets together this morning. Should be nice and toasty tonight .

Shandy57 Thu 24-Sep-20 20:04:44

I've just got back from Devon to Northumberland, what a difference. The room stat was showing 13 degrees! Heating is on but I'll have to turn down the radiaors upstairs as my sheltie can't stand it.

sodapop Thu 24-Sep-20 20:09:38

Still got my fan going here phew

annsixty Thu 24-Sep-20 20:49:38

Keep my thermostat at 18% at this time of year and it comes on about6:30 and again late evening.
I sit in the conservatory most of the day ( temporarily disabled) and it is really warm in there.
Will not put up with being cold now, I did that as a child in the 40’S.

NfkDumpling Thu 24-Sep-20 20:54:55

I set our thermostat at 18. I figure that if it comes on, it's cold enough to need to. It turned itself on this evening. It's cold enough. (I may sneak it up to 20, 'cos I'm chilly!)

annsixty Thu 24-Sep-20 21:04:35

I obviously don’t keep my thermostat at 18 percent.
I am very tired I meant 18 degrees?

SueDonim Fri 25-Sep-20 00:08:06

If you’re cold, put the heating on. It doesn’t matter what a thermometer says. There are no medals for being a martyr.

Our heating is on - it was 5deg outside when we came home tonight. A few days ago it was so hot that I almost got the fan out but that was then and this is now.

kircubbin2000 Fri 25-Sep-20 07:31:16

It never got really warm here and the sea breeze is always cool.I never got into summer clothes this year and the heating has been on every day for at least an hour.

trustgone4sure Fri 25-Sep-20 08:31:35

Yes mine is on,and will be every time i feel chilly.
I can`t do with being cold it makes me cough for a start off.

Auntieflo Fri 25-Sep-20 08:50:20

Ours has turned itself on this morning. Cosy smile

downtoearth Fri 25-Sep-20 08:55:47

Been lucky enough to have new double glazed windows fitted by the council,to alleviate the cold damp and condensation problem of dripping windows and wet towels on all the window ledges.

It feels toasty but I am waiting for a really cold snap,just so that I can enjoy feeling warm cosy,it us an avsomute pleasure to wake up in the morning and not have to open the windows ,letting all the warmth out,and sqeejee the whole flat before I even make a cuppa smile

downtoearth Fri 25-Sep-20 08:58:29

That is meant to be squeejee,one of those wiper blades window cleaners use, and of course an absolute plesure ..oops fat fingers

downtoearth Fri 25-Sep-20 08:58:54

Pleasure ...grrhhh

harrigran Fri 25-Sep-20 09:11:06

Our heating has never been off, here in the far north there is rarely a day when it is warm enough to do without.

JackyB Fri 25-Sep-20 09:25:24

For several years now I have noticed that there seems to be no transition from summer to winter any more. Only two days ago I was sitting in the garden with a t shirt on drinking a cuppa. Yesterday evening I cycled into the village with a cardigan and a jacket on, as well as a rain cape. It poured all night and this morning it's quite chilly.

olliebeak Fri 25-Sep-20 09:40:58

I live in a Housing Association flat, and feel very lucky to still have a gas fire as they are not being replaced due to us also having Central Heating. The fire is, most definitely, on for a while this morning. Once the room warms up a bit - and the sun starts to shine onto the windows - I'll turn the it off again.

It'll probably go back on again this evening, once the sun has disappeared wink.

Froglady Fri 25-Sep-20 09:41:28

If you feel cold then put the heating on. I don't care what my room thermometer says, if I'm cold then the heating goes on.

Shortlegs Fri 25-Sep-20 09:41:40

Why not put it to a 'Gransnet' vote?

mbody Fri 25-Sep-20 09:42:20

Put it on!!!!!

henetha Fri 25-Sep-20 09:44:42

The whole house felt chilly yesterday so I put the central heating on. But I've turned it off again as today is sunny.

BassGrammy Fri 25-Sep-20 09:51:00

Our heating is set to 20C all year round (during the day - lower at night). If the temperature drops below that, the heating comes on to being it back to that temp. It’s been on for an hour or so a couple of mornings this week! Hubby is always cold.....I’m not!