Gransnet forums

AIBU

I think I need to put my heating on..

(136 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Thu 24-Sep-20 17:33:48

Aibu to put the heating on? Have you put yours on yet? This is the first day I've felt chilly. My wall thermometer says it's 20C inside but this is an old house & my feet & hands are cold. I wanted to hold on longer before switching it on but I don't think I can.

Shropshirelass Mon 28-Sep-20 09:17:43

My DH feels cold all the time, he has health issues and is very thin now, no fat to keep him warm! He has the heating on when I don't need it but it is horrible to be cold. I just have to sit in a T shirt and thin trousers! But I have had the underfloor heating on in the conservatory for a couple of nights. I sit in there in the mornings with my coffee and my dogs. Lovely.

Riverwalk Mon 28-Sep-20 09:23:26

Lulubelle500

I dread the Winter in our house, it is sooooooo cold! In a heatwave it is ideal, just a little cool. I grew up in an enormous Victorian house where we had ice flowers etched on the windows each morning and at weekends my sister and I would wait to hear the rattle of the coal scuttle before we ventured out from under the covers. I swore when I grew up I would have heat in every room but who could have foreseen the rise in power costs. Every year around this time my DH and I have the Big Row about the Heating! When we dragged our ancient central heating into the twenty-first century DH told the builder we would turn the heat on as we needed it, which as far as he's concerned is when snow is on the ground! We've just had this year's row, I am reduced to tears (at least they're warm). And apparently I only have to ask if I want it on. But, really, it's only September you know. I have MS and when I'm in one position for any length of time and am cold (as at night)I seize up like a rusty old jalopy. Getting downstairs to put the heating on in the morning in Winter is positively hazardous.

That's about one of the saddest posts I've read in a long time.

You have MS, you're cold, and your husband reduces you to tears by dictating when the heating goes on - just why do you put up with this behaviour?

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 10:06:59

I agree Riverwalk.

Why do you stay in that big old house? Is it time to downsize to a modern, warm house or bungalow?

DH has been 'testing' our heating system. It's gone off now but it's taken the chill off the house.

We're not wasteful but we see no point in being cold and miserable in our dotage.

Callistemon Mon 28-Sep-20 10:08:24

I'm just going to put the autumn duvet back on.

jusnoneed Mon 28-Sep-20 11:23:29

I have flannelette sheets for our beds when the weather gets colder, lovely to get into. I haven't got duvet back on my bed yet, just the cover and a light bedspread and it's lovely not to be hot in bed. OH has kept his on all summer! Thank heavens we have separate rooms.
It's not too cold here, I have been out chopping back shrubs in the garden this morning, just a tshirt. The chilly wind has dropped.
The aim is if at all possible no turning on the fire until November, always make me think of my Gramph - he wouldn't light the coal fire until November. We haven't used it since March.

craftyone Thu 01-Oct-20 06:44:41

I put the heating properly on yesterday, I have the new (complicated) electronic thermostats that control zones, 5 of them. I changd the time as they were still on winter time and this morning have woken to a warm cosy bedroom, en suite and living room. There are lots of time intervals andtemperatures to set within the thermostat/timer. Its a bit of a daunting task but I also wanted to fully check the heating before the boiler gets serviced next week.

I like an upstairs boost to come on about 5.30am and later it will go lower for the whole day. Sheer luxury and it will stay on now, it won`t come on unless needed and I can switch each zone off by a button press

NfkDumpling Thu 01-Oct-20 08:32:39

Must ring the chimney sweep today. It's been on the Really Must List since Lock Down finished but ....

Charleygirl5 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:35:31

I have switched mine on from late afternoon for nearly a week now. For some reason my gas bill is cheaper than my electricity and living on my own I am careful re switching off lights.

Puzzler61 Thu 01-Oct-20 08:38:18

Our radiators come on at 6.30 am for an hour until we’re dressed. Not yet needed it in the evening but our living room faces west and we get the last few hours of sunshine when there is some. Not needed the gas fire on in that room ..... yet.

craftyone Sat 03-Oct-20 07:48:47

The boiler is being serviced next week and that is me done and dusted and ready for winter. I had to wait two months for the sweep who also does stove servicing, its a new stove but I thought I would get him on board from the start

I had to go back to basics a bit this morning, never realised that I still had the summer woollen duvet on, I had a welsh wool blanket on top but kept waking last night, a bit cool. Duvet is now swapped and while at it, I did the bedding in the airing cupboard, all sets are individually packed in their pillowcase, very much easier this way. The wool blanket is now in the ottoman at the bottom of my bed, ready for colder.

I still don`t have the temperatures exactly right, lowered the living room this morning. I think it depends on grey and rain, just looking at it makes me feel cooler