Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I wrong to be furious?

(69 Posts)
Esspee Sun 04-Oct-20 08:41:23

I woke just after 7 hearing noises. I used the bathroom and went downstairs only to find my OH wasn’t there. This is most unusual but assumed he had gone to buy his Sunday papers and fresh rolls - a normal Sunday routine, though usually later.
Having made us both a cuppa I sat down and there on my iPad was a note “have a slice of toast, will be back soon with rolls, love you”
I assume the noise that woke me was him going out. The shop is not far but down a steep hill so he had taken his car.
After half an hour I gave him a call but the phone rang out - probably on mute which happens with his phone.
I have been searching for explanations and all I can think of is he has to drop off some keys today, over 20 miles away and he has decided to do it while I was still asleep. This has never happened before.
Why oh why did he not write what he was doing on the damned note? He’s been gone over an hour and a half and if he has gone to drop the keys then the road is a rather dangerous one if done at speed so I am imagining him in an accident hurrying to get back before I wake.
I usually get up around 7. He could have spoken to me or left a proper message. Now I am really getting frantic worrying.

Saggi Sun 04-Oct-20 10:45:49

A good telling off is warranted....and a phone tracker!

rizlett Sun 04-Oct-20 10:47:38

Anxiety (or worry) is living in the future - depression is living in the past.

Better all round if we just focus on living in the moment. (& save all that wasted energy used up worrying)

LauraNorder Sun 04-Oct-20 10:52:17

Glad he’s home safely Espee. Suggest you each put the other on your ‘find friends’ facility on your phones. We have done this as a family. We don’t keep track of each other but it’s handy if any are travelling to know what time to put the oven on. Also peace of mind in a situation such as yours this morning. Have a nice rest of day knowing he’s okay and that he loves you too.

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 10:57:02

My DH went out to the dentist the other morning. I knew he had to have a filling so it would take longer but after 2.5 hours I was worried. His phone was here in the kitchen!
After 3 hours he came in and said he had some work to do for a local charity so went to get on with it.
Happens all the time.
[sigh]

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 10:57:40

I'm glad he's back safe and sound Esspee

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 11:00:57

I came back round to find my DH had locked the door and left me out in the pouring rain in my pyjamas!!! ?
No amount of banging alerted him that I was locked out, as he was totally immersed in Duolinguo!

Marydoll! ?

Where's this car boot sale - it sounds exciting!

jane5 Sun 04-Oct-20 11:01:24

Being quite new to responding to all your comments I am getting a bit frustrated with all the abbreviations what is a OH & DH if it's a husband why isn't he a H ??

Auntieflo Sun 04-Oct-20 11:03:27

Espee, just read your post, and so pleased to hear that all is well.
It brought back memories of when DH was so late coming home from work. Then I had a call from TV Police, panic, but to say that he was OK. The weather was awful, roads bad and huge diversions. It was before we both had mobile phones, but such a relief to know that he was alright.

Marydoll Sun 04-Oct-20 11:05:25

jane, go to the top of the page and look at Acronyms, all will be revealed!

Actually, they are abbreviations, not acronyms, but that's a post for Pedants' Corner! wink

Smileless2012 Sun 04-Oct-20 11:05:31

Thank goodness he's back safe and sound Esspee. I've lost count of the number of times Mr. S. has done the same thing. Popped out to do something that would take 10 minutes, gets side tracked and is out for more than an hour, while I'm becoming increasingly panic stricken.

9 times out of 10 I 'phone him on his mobile only to hear it ringing in the kitchen where left it.

OH is other half and DH is dear husband jane

Silverlady79 Sun 04-Oct-20 11:06:38

Slight over reaction? And catasrophising?

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 11:10:34

what is a OH & DH if it's a husband why isn't he a H ??

Sometimes they are just an H rather than a DH, particularly when they worry us like that jane5

hollysteers Sun 04-Oct-20 11:11:08

A rather sexist thread regarding men.
I’m glad I live alone and would hate someone tracking me like this unless I had dementia or a serious illness.
It’s nice you are so close, but I’m glad my late husband and I did our own thing.
It can make widowhood even harder if you are literally one flesh!

jane5 Sun 04-Oct-20 11:12:20

Thank you MaryDoll makes easier reading to know?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 04-Oct-20 11:14:50

My DH is the same - he 'nips' out and is gone for an hour, where??? Or he takes dog for a short walk and is gone one and a half hours!! (that is apparently the dog's fault). Never remembers to take his phone, so I just twiddle my fingers until he's back!!

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 11:17:37

A rather sexist thread regarding men.

Rubbish!
It's a thread started by a concerned wife who obviously cares for her husband.

If you are male and wish to start a thread about the vagaries of women's behaviour and how we worry you, please go ahead.

I'm sure we would find it amusing and laugh at our oddities ???
And try to do better next time!

Marydoll Sun 04-Oct-20 11:18:50

It's not about tracking partners and over reacting. Espee's husband wasn't there when she got up and the fact that he was away for so long with no contact and was worrying. It could be totally out of character, we don't know the circumstances.
It's normal to worry about someone you love.

As for sexist, my post was intended to be tongue in cheek and meant to be light hearted. My husband was aware of exactly what I wrote and found it amusing.

Why the need for the sharp replies? sad.

Esspee Sun 04-Oct-20 11:18:54

jane5. I understand your frustration with abbreviations. When I was new to Mumsnet and Gransnet I found it terribly confusing. There is, near the top and bottom of your page, a line with links you can click on. (It starts Active/I’m on/etc.)
Click on acronyms. It lists most of the abbreviations used on here. Others I just worked out for myself.
O.H. is other half. I prefer that to partner or boyfriend (a stupid term when you are in your seventies).
The D in front of everything is dear. It is a convention on here that I haven’t ever read an explanation for and made me cringe at first but it quickly becomes easy to ignore.

Galaxy Sun 04-Oct-20 11:20:58

I think it depends on how you feel about this type of thing though. I would hate anyone tracking my phone, I just wouldn't tolerate it in a relationship.

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 11:23:10

I wouldn't know how to track DH's phone.

It would have been helpful if he'd taken it with him though so I could have phone to make sure he was ok.

He's just gone out in this appalling weather to buy some milk. His phone is on the side!

Esspee Sun 04-Oct-20 11:25:32

Marydoll Like you I have explained abbreviations to many new members and actually wrote to GNHQ about changing the word acronyms (which is mostly inaccurate as the page is full of abbreviations) but HQ wrote back saying they are happy with using acronyms.
They seem quite unconcerned with the fact that so many new members are inconvenienced.

BlueSky Sun 04-Oct-20 11:26:26

I’m sure this sort of thing has happen to all of us, worst of all you see their mobile phone on the table! No it’s not checking up on them, it’s caring for the welfare of a much loved partner, otherwise you would give a stuff!

BlueSky Sun 04-Oct-20 11:28:00

Wouldn’t give a stuff!

Juicylucy Sun 04-Oct-20 11:36:45

Glad all is well now. Funny how we are all different I never expected my ex husband to give me an explanation on his every move and neither did I give him one. We just told each other where we’d been when we got home. Different strokes for different folks as they say.

LauraNorder Sun 04-Oct-20 11:38:23

“Literally one flesh”

No Siamese twins on here as far as I know but there are lots of close, loving, caring couples.