Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU To feel really upset about this?

(55 Posts)
sazz1 Tue 06-Oct-20 00:19:01

I sent a present to my DGD aged 6 over 3 weeks ago using my normal courrier H......s. I've sent many parcels with them over the last few years and never had a problem. I sell things as a hobby on an auction site.
This was a pair of wellies and I put a little poem in the box for her but the parcel didn't arrive. Looking on the tracking it said delayed but this week I tried to ring them. 8 times I tried and they kept hanging up. Finally got through today and was told parcel is damaged. They had the name of the sender as someone else too, but I had a receipt from the parcel shop to prove it was me.
I've asked for it to be sent back to me so I can check if it's just the box or they've smashed the wellies. I've ordered another pair for DGD and will give them to her Saturday as they are visiting.
But I'm so upset about it as I feel very let down. Had a cry to the dog today. It's not the money but I feel very low and the fact they didn't tell me straight away but left it until I contacted them hasn't helped. I think it's because it was for DGD that it's upset me so much. The replacement pair aren't the same but they are ok
DGD doesn't know it was to be a surprise. Perhaps I'm depressed I don't know why I'm so upset about it.

sazz1 Tue 06-Oct-20 10:53:54

Thank you for all your support. I'm feeling more positive today. I think it was the last straw as there have been a lot of other problems in my close family, redundancy, medical problems, etc plus my own health problems.
They have said they will repack and send the parcel back to me to I can see how badly it's damaged. We shall see if it ever arrives.

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Oct-20 10:57:06

Fingers crossed for you that it’s not too bad, sazz1.

blubber Tue 06-Oct-20 11:12:49

I would never use H....s. In our area they sort the parcels in the road outside an industrial unit and often leave them there unattended. Vehicles are unable to use the road as the parcels are spread everywhere.

lizzypopbottle Tue 06-Oct-20 11:15:56

I've had all kinds of beefs with H****s deliveries over the years. I don't think they are a very professional outfit at all. My daughter sends me the occasional parcel using DPD. They are fast, they collect from her and deliver to me, which is handy with her having two boys under six and a newish baby. I use the Post Office but, obviously, they don't collect.

Caro57 Tue 06-Oct-20 11:33:41

I am struggling big time with DHL who have part of a kitchen I have been waiting for since early Aug. It has been collected by them from the company I purchased it from but I have no tracking / shipment number and DHL will only speak to the customer - not the shop! The numbers I have for DHL ring into full voicemail boxes? and I am now tearing my hair out!

Chezabella Tue 06-Oct-20 11:34:56

Sazz1, you feel upset and let down by the courier and I can totally sympathise.

I’ve had this situation twice with RM over the years. Each time sending presents to my AC living abroad. A lot of thought goes into buying what you’re sending, wrapping it carefully and then trusting the service to deliver. You imagine what a lovely surprise they will have when they receive it. You wait.. and wait then you realise the package is lost or damaged. I don’t think you’re being unreasonable and I don’t think it’s just because of Covid etc either, it’s disappointing and upsetting.

I remember when the remnants of a present I sent to my DD eventually arrived, the wrapping was tattered and it had been placed in a clear plastic bag, the treats and gifts were gone and had been replaced by RM staff pensions leaflets. My DD sent a photo wondering why on earth I had sent them confused. The leaflets must have been put inside whilst the package was in the UK although the person I complained to insisted it was the Middle Eastern postal service at fault. I was livid! I felt like they were taking the P and charging me for it to add to the insult.

Nowadays, although I understand why they have to ask, it makes me feel uncomfortable when the post office staff ask what is in my parcel. I am wary of disclosing the contents especially if foodie treats are involved.

I hope you have a lovely time with your DGD, sazz1. Im sure she’ll be pleased with the new wellies and if you’re in the UK it looks like she’ll be getting plenty of opportunity to wear them! x

Maggiemaybe Tue 06-Oct-20 11:49:28

Can I just ask why so many people are doing this dot, dot, dot thing lately on GN? H....s, C.......s, T...o etc? Or even worse, “the online retailer named after a river”, the shoes sold by “the firm that’s the opposite of Colder”?

What’s it all about? We’re not crossword compilers, or MI5.

Sorry if I’ve offended any secret agents posters. I seem to have got out of bed on the wrong side. I think I’d better stay offline for the rest of the day. grin

Janiepops Tue 06-Oct-20 11:57:38

“So badly damaged” ???? How can a pair of little rubber boots, properly wrapped, become so “badly damaged??”

I agree with other posters, Hermes are a terrible company, I’ve had parcels “ lost,” and I would never choose to use them,unfortunately, some companies use them to deliver goods.
Glad you’re feeling better now Sazz.

sodapop Tue 06-Oct-20 12:04:23

Think people may be worried it would be seen as advertising Maggmaybe
Have a good grump you will feel better.grin

Gwyneth Tue 06-Oct-20 12:19:11

I agree with susiewoosie and the other posts of a similar vein. Sometimes it just is ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back’. It’s happened to me over things that I wouldn’t normally be upset over.

lizzypopbottle Tue 06-Oct-20 12:38:27

Hermes use people with private cars. I don't know if they provide any training but we've had many a parcel left in bizarre places, often when we're at home and there's been no ring on the doorbell. They have also opened my front door and left a parcel in the porch, again with no doorbell alert. One unexpected advantage of the current Covid situation is that they take a photo of your parcel on the doorstep, from a safe distance, so at least it's not in the recycling bin or amongst the mayhem of my open garage!

lizzypopbottle Tue 06-Oct-20 12:39:42

...in the recycling bin on collection day...?

maddyone Tue 06-Oct-20 12:41:17

I agree with suzie I think there’s been so much stress lately and this terrible situation seems to go on and on forever without an end in sight.
However sazz it might be a good idea to have a chat with your GP about how you’re feeling. You might be depressed. Depression is a real illness, and you can’t just pull yourself out of it. You would need professional help if you do have Clinical Depression.

Buttonjugs Tue 06-Oct-20 12:49:56

@Maggiemabe @CarolAnne I sell online and had no problems with Hermes while the courier collected from my home but when I used their Parcelshop service all that changed. I sent four parcels, only two arrived. There are loads of similar reviews online.

Unigran4 Tue 06-Oct-20 13:10:10

I sell bits and pieces on line so have to package all sorts of items. My test for "robustness of packaging" is carried out by tossing the parcel downstairs. If you are not confident enough to do that, or you do it and the packaging is damaged, it's not wrapped well enough!

I worked in a Royal Mail Delivery Office for more years than I care to remember. There was always pressure to get the parcels sorted in minimum time, so they were not treated with kid gloves. If your parcel was first in the sack it would have to withstand many parcels going in on top of it until the sack was full.

I know you used Hermes and not Royal Mail, but the procedures are similar.

I'm sorry this has happened to you sazz1 and I hope it soon gets resolved.

Kim19 Tue 06-Oct-20 13:29:38

sazz1, I totally empathise. When I have the joy of finding exactly the 'right' thing for someone important the whole detail becomes equally important. After strategic planning, I am SO disappointed when an inefficient outside service spoils the whole thing. Recently had this happen with something as simple as a bd card. Rubbish! Have had no difficulty with H (that I know of!!!) but recently had a real hiccup with one starting D. Two unsuccessful deliveries because 'a signature is required'. I was home for the 'third time lucky' event. VERY pleasant driver. When I proffered my signing hand he said 'oh, that's not necessary'. You couldn't make it up!

PipandFinn Tue 06-Oct-20 14:12:38

CaroleAnne

I would not use Hermes if it was the last courier service on this earth as I have had several bad experiences. Better to use a more reliable courier service such as DPD et al.

Same as above...

Hymnbook Tue 06-Oct-20 14:15:04

I have been trying in vain to contact IKEA for about a week. I can't find an e-mail address for them .Each time I've tried phoning it's anything up to an hours waiting time. Or the message says the customer service department is now closed! I can't get to the actual store. I'm sure l'm not the only customer trying to get through to them. They must be losing an awful lot of business.

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 06-Oct-20 14:28:15

We had a terrible experience with Hermes. Ordered goods off the internet and a few days later got the chance of a very last minute holiday. On the Friday an email came in to say accommodation was available we had asked about a few weeks before and could now have due to cancellation. So on the Saturday off we went for the week. Came home to find note in the letterbox that parcel was in our black wheelie bin. Opened bin to find empty! Neighbour thinking doing us a favour put the bin out and parcel went to the tip! Hermes weren't interested at all and said had to get the refund from the seller who wouldn't give us a refund.

When Hermes courier came next time I told her never to put parcels in the bin again and said we had gone away last minute. She was so aggressive with me telling me I shouldn't have gone away when ordered a parcel, I politely pointed out to her none of her business and her job was to deliver parcels properly and in a safe place or to a neighbour. She started to use the F word at me and my husband came out and asked her to leave our property and just put his hand on her arm to ask her to leave and she started to hit him over the shoulder with her signing module f'ing and J'fing at us. What a disgrace, I reported this to the police and will never use them ever again. But you know what they say pay peanuts and you employ monkeys. I was upset for days and couldn't believe this happened on my own front door step.

Greciangirl Tue 06-Oct-20 17:08:32

I wouldn’t cry, but I would be very angry.

AGAA4 Tue 06-Oct-20 17:20:41

sazzl I would have been upset too as the parcel was for your DGD so must have been so frustrating.
I have had problems with Hermes too. Received a parcel once that was soaking wet and the box was disintegrating.

NemosMum Tue 06-Oct-20 17:41:34

I would be very cross, and I can see how it might be the straw that broke the camel's back at the moment! I sent a John Lewis china salad bowl to my SIL. They dispatched by Hermes. They waited in for the delivery person, but had to go pop out to collect their grandson when the delivery didn't arrive in time. On their return, they found the package, stamped 'FRAGILE' all over, had been THROWN over the 6 foot side gate. Of course, it was smashed to smithereens! I complained to JL, who sent a replacement by another carrier. However, it took the gilt off the gingerbread and it doesn't help filial relationships!

JaneRn Tue 06-Oct-20 18:02:25

lizzypopbottle

The Post Office have just started a collection service for parcels. I would guess they will be more expensive than other courier services but hopefully more reliable.

GreenGran78 Tue 06-Oct-20 18:48:42

I think that many deliveries are problematic right now, due to Covid. Even two Moonpig cards bound for Australia, which I ordered three weeks in advance of the dates, arrived two weeks late. That upset me out of all proportion, as the recipients were very understanding about it.
I think that we are all feeling a little fragile, right now, and even small mishaps can tip us over.

Minerva Tue 06-Oct-20 19:53:58

Just felt I had to report that our Hermes delivery driver is excellent. We have had the same driver for many years and never had a problem. I have seen him go from looking as if he dressed from a charity bin and driving a really ancient car to being smartly dressed with a bigger car. Always a big smile and a greeting. He is no doubt being paid peanuts as MrsGreenfingers pointed out but he is intelligent and efficient. You can’t generalise about people.