Gransnet forums

AIBU

Claudia and Tess - Strictly salaries

(92 Posts)
Maybiteifstartled Mon 19-Oct-20 14:40:46

The BBC have finally had to admit that Claudia and Tess each get paid £350,000 for their roles on Strictly.

I don't like swearing but * Bloody Hell *

More than a third of a Million ££ for standing around in pretty clothes making no substantial contribution to the outcome of the show.

If someone gave me that sort of money for turning up for nine weekends I could leave an abusive marriage and be safe.

Am I being unreasonable? I think it's obscene. angry angry

FlexibleFriend Mon 19-Oct-20 14:54:47

It's probably a fraction of what Bruce was paid .

Septimia Mon 19-Oct-20 15:13:38

Agreed. And you can add footballers to the list!

Septimia Mon 19-Oct-20 15:15:01

Although the latter do at least have to turn up for training each day..... not just for matches.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 19-Oct-20 15:18:49

Yes, I agree - how many houses can one person live in, how many cars can they drive?? (I'm just jealous!!)

kittylester Mon 19-Oct-20 15:33:21

Why have they had to admit it? Claudia does lots of other stuff for the Beeb and is really funny.

Oopsminty Mon 19-Oct-20 15:35:35

I don't actually mind. Not at all.

The programme is hugely successful

TV presenters can earn a lot of money

It is what it is

Ngaio1 Mon 19-Oct-20 15:39:22

Claudia is good value. The wooden one - so surprised that she keeps her job!

NotTooOld Mon 19-Oct-20 16:45:46

Wouldn't it be a good idea if no-one was allowed to be paid more than the prime minister of the day? I don't actually know what Boris is paid but it's nothing like as much as, say, premier league footballers or Claudia and Tess.

Callistemon Mon 19-Oct-20 16:53:27

What I don't understand is why some of the dancers get paid far more than the others.

Why should AJ Pritchard get paid more than the others?

kittylester Mon 19-Oct-20 16:57:13

My Granddaughters would think AJ should earn more than all the others put together!!

sodapop Mon 19-Oct-20 16:58:41

Apparently the PM salary is around £150,000 pa. NottooOld seems ridiculous that those two presenters of Strictly earn so much. Not sure that 'earn' is the correct word to use.

NotSpaghetti Mon 19-Oct-20 17:06:08

Maybiteifstartled
Please don't accept abuse in your marriage. No one should be living with abuse even if they don't earn a lot (or indeed anything!).

Contact Women's Aid
www.womensaid.org.uk/
Open an incognito browser - All leading web browsers have a “private browsing” mode that, once enabled, stores nothing about your activity on your computer in that browsing window. This won’t stop online services from seeing what you get up to, but it won’t leave any traces of your activity on your computer (no history, web cache or anything else).

There is info about covering your tracks online on the Women's Aid website.

gulligranny Mon 19-Oct-20 17:11:47

I think they are both humourless, talentless and wildly overpaid. I record Strictly so that I can fast-forward through their ghastliness.

Gosh, I feel better for that!

NotTooOld Mon 19-Oct-20 17:18:22

gulligranny grin
I used to be a big fan in the early ears but I can't abide all the screaming and luvvying that goes on now so I don't watch it. I wish they'd concentrate on the dancing and less on 'personalities'.

NotTooOld Mon 19-Oct-20 17:18:52

years not ears!

EllanVannin Mon 19-Oct-20 17:21:32

So this is why there's no free licence for the over-75's ? Too busy giving it away to nonentities.

Not sure, but I think Nicola has been kicking off about pay because of her sexual status as well as her popularity in the sports industry.

They'll all price themselves out before long.

Amanda Holden is even thinking of joining the BBC. Oh Yuk !

I bet none of the greedy so-and-so's give a hoot over the grim Christmas that it's going to be for many !!

Maybiteifstartled Mon 19-Oct-20 20:03:20

@NotSpaghetti. Thanks hon, but I am safe. No physical danger. And I no longer let him get inside my head. I am biding my time, have a plan, and am OK. Although £350K would accelerate matters somewhat!!!

But thank you. xx

NotSpaghetti Mon 19-Oct-20 20:08:42

Maybiteifstartled SO pleased to hear you are ok.

You are definitely fortunate that he's not in your head! Good luck with the plan.
flowers

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 19-Oct-20 20:39:56

Claudia doesn't get that salary for just doing Strictly. It is for all her BBC work.

According to this list of salaries, Claudia is the 13th highest paid presenter:

www.radiotimes.com/news/2020-09-16/bbc-pay-2020-salaries/

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 19-Oct-20 20:46:59

Maybiteifstartled
Seek out some help if you need to talk - it does help. I left it a long time before I went to see a counsellor. With no savings, (but I was earning), I eventually left him.

PECS Mon 19-Oct-20 20:54:21

It does seem we (society) have gone very wrong. I cannot imagine that any business , and the BBC is a business, would pay out high salaries unnecessarily. It seems that the general viewing public want/like glamour/celeb presenters on shows and that that, apparently, draws in the punters. The BBC needs to be competitive and so if commercial companies use highly paid celebs on shows the BBC has to do similarly.
It is a 'chicken and egg' situation..did the viewing public prefer shows fronted by 'beautiful people' so the TV companies were pushed to pay for 'the best'..or did TV companies persuade the viewers that they wanted glamour??

Chewbacca Mon 19-Oct-20 21:06:03

The one that really annoys me is Zoe Ball earning £1,369,444 a year for her radio show.

rafichagran Tue 20-Oct-20 07:27:57

Why does it bother posters what other people earn? If you had the chance to earn that sort of money would you turn it down.
It's the industry they are in, it pays well.

NanKate Tue 20-Oct-20 07:40:38

Gulligranny I could have written your post word for word. ?