Gransnet forums

AIBU

Claudia and Tess - Strictly salaries

(93 Posts)
Maybiteifstartled Mon 19-Oct-20 14:40:46

The BBC have finally had to admit that Claudia and Tess each get paid £350,000 for their roles on Strictly.

I don't like swearing but * Bloody Hell *

More than a third of a Million ££ for standing around in pretty clothes making no substantial contribution to the outcome of the show.

If someone gave me that sort of money for turning up for nine weekends I could leave an abusive marriage and be safe.

Am I being unreasonable? I think it's obscene. angry angry

Sarnia Wed 21-Oct-20 08:48:06

It's the way it is these days. Any 'celebrity' , TV presenter, professional footballer etc earn obscene amounts of money. One name mentioned in this thread, better not say who, was invited a few years ago to an awards evening but the demands made on the company my daughter worked for were ludicrous. Over the top loo arrangements, very fussy over who they met, the condition of communal area, etc. In the end they didn't bother and got another famous name who made no fuss and was brilliant all round. Too much money obviously makes some of them think they are royalty.

Trixee Wed 21-Oct-20 10:38:26

I can’t stand Zoe Ball, loved to listen to Tony Blackburn, Jimmy Young and the fabulous Terry Wogan, over the years, suffered Chris Evans but now this woman grates on me with her gabble. So sad, I miss it.

OurKid1 Wed 21-Oct-20 12:27:07

I just wish all of them were better at their jobs, calmed down (Zoe), stopped shrieking (Zoe again), schmoozing 'celebrities' (all three of them), stopped making 'funny' wise-cracks (Claudia), stopped delivering their lines in a way which makes it obvious that they reading from an autocue (Tess) etc etc. I just don't understand why any of them are employed in the jobs they have. Surely a basic level of competency at the job should be a pre-requisite.

Whatdayisit Wed 21-Oct-20 13:32:15

I think the decline of Radio 2 warrants a thread of it's own.

mistymitts Wed 21-Oct-20 14:53:23

I am not bothered about how much they earn. What I am concerned about is that yo say you are in an abusive marriage. I see another poster has signposted you, I would also lo pike to suggest you phone The Samaritans. They are there 24 hours a day to listen to anyone feeling distressed or in difficult times. Please be strong and I send you my love.

mistymitts Wed 21-Oct-20 15:00:07

Maybe they can both donate half their salary to the crippled Arts Culture and Theatre industry and help those struggling dancers/ballet dancers who cannot perform because of Covid.

sodapop Wed 21-Oct-20 16:10:54

I loved Terry Wogan and his banter with Jimmy Young Trixiee and not forgetting the great Ray Moore.

trustgone4sure Mon 02-Nov-20 14:11:33

Well put gullygranny and Chewbacca.

Ngaio1 Wed 09-Dec-20 21:11:31

Cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would pay Tess Daly to do anything. She is so wooden! Apparently, her husband said in the I'm a celeb camp that she is POSH!! Her rough dialect and mispronounced words would suggest otherwise. Claudia on her own, please.

Jane10 Wed 09-Dec-20 21:28:32

As long as they pay their taxes I'm OK with it.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 09-Dec-20 23:02:45

Ngaio1

Cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would pay Tess Daly to do anything. She is so wooden! Apparently, her husband said in the I'm a celeb camp that she is POSH!! Her rough dialect and mispronounced words would suggest otherwise. Claudia on her own, please.

I'm OK with how Tess talks. Perhaps because I'm from Derbyshire too. I've heard far stronger accent than hers. I' lived in Cambridge (late 60s) for a short while and when I went back home my brother said my accent had changed and I spoke "Posh".

I now live in the south west and people often recognise that I'm from 'up north'.

It's good to hear a range of accents/dialects from presenters. We're not in the distance days of "received pronunciation" having to be used any more.. I'm pleased to say.

Lucretzia Wed 09-Dec-20 23:05:57

I speak with RP

It's not my fault. I didn't even know I did until it was pointed out to me

I'm not a huge fan of Tess or her voice. I think she's a very pretty woman and her husband is lovely. But she always seems to be slightly out of her depth

Now I adore Claudia. I think she's a hoot. Love the fringe as well smile

Callistemon Wed 09-Dec-20 23:15:31

Her rough dialect and mispronounced words would suggest otherwise.

If you think that'srough you've led a very sheltered life Ngaio1!

I'm from up that way, too, WOODMOUSE but we had elocution lessons at our school to learn us to speak proper
?

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 10-Dec-20 00:07:44

Ey-up callistemon Geroff wi yer.

Gners like to find summat t' chunter 'bout. I think Tess speaks reet proper.

Hellogirl1 Thu 10-Dec-20 15:17:40

What I didn`t understand when at one of the Strictly shows last year was that when Tess came out between each dance couple`s performance, she was led out by the hand by one of the male studio floor workers. I thought she`d know the way by now!

Kim19 Sat 12-Dec-20 05:16:02

From reading some of the comments here I realise it's a pity individual's salaries have to be revealed. Oh, I know it's the public purse and all that but hey...... At the outset of my way up my own particular greasy pole I always remember being told never to discuss or reveal my salary to colleagues as it would only end up in discontent either for them or me. How true that turned out to be over the years. Happily, I did negotiate my own salary at initial interview and did not have to share it with agents or anyone else. Rather suspect I would never have turned down an outrageous salary offer even if I didn't feel 'worthy' of same. Many of us here choose to denigrate these personalities but I think we only see a side of them their producers/directors want from them. I think their private lives suffer hugely. Sure, there are many I wouldn't give tuppence for but that also applies in big business and they often manage to keep their income away from the knowledge of joe public.

Sielha Sun 13-Dec-20 21:33:44

It’s not their fault that we, as a society, value them to this extent. But I do understand the feeling of “this is completely ridiculous” and “what are we thinking?’