Gransnet forums

AIBU

Claudia and Tess - Strictly salaries

(93 Posts)
Maybiteifstartled Mon 19-Oct-20 14:40:46

The BBC have finally had to admit that Claudia and Tess each get paid £350,000 for their roles on Strictly.

I don't like swearing but * Bloody Hell *

More than a third of a Million ££ for standing around in pretty clothes making no substantial contribution to the outcome of the show.

If someone gave me that sort of money for turning up for nine weekends I could leave an abusive marriage and be safe.

Am I being unreasonable? I think it's obscene. angry angry

Susiewong65 Tue 20-Oct-20 07:56:47

Yes Zoe Ball’s salary is obscene !

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Oct-20 08:20:08

Zoe Balls salary might be high but it is not just for her radio 2 morning show, it covers her It Takes Two presenting and all other jobs across the BBC.

I cannot cross about large salaries, I save my crossness for the unscrupulous employers who pay less than the legal wage in back street sweat shops ?

MamaCaz Tue 20-Oct-20 08:26:59

How much the BBC pays its presenters (and I include news presenters in that) has bugged me for quite a while.

I would like to see BBC find and use new talent where possible instead of established 'celebrities' - there must be a huge pool of people out there who could do their jobs just as well, for a tiny fraction of a price.
Once those people become established household names and acquired celebrity status, and want to make bigger bucks out of it, let them go do it elsewhere, and replace them with another newcomer!

If the fully commercial channels want to pay silly salaries, fair enough, I don't have a problem with them doing that - even if I genuinely don't understand why anyone would even employ half of these talentless 'celebrities" (I've kept it polite there), let alone the obscene amounts of money that they seem to get.

EllanVannin Tue 20-Oct-20 08:30:29

GG13, while we're on the subject, the pittances paid to many carers in nursing homes for their difficult and sometimes trying work at times looking after the elderly.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 20-Oct-20 08:51:53

EllanVannin I totally agree, there are some privately run homes, the owners with multiple care homes who make very large profits whilst paying their staff a pittance.

I have no experience of State/Council run/owned homes so cannot comment.

shysal Tue 20-Oct-20 08:57:19

It beats me why these highly paid presenters also feel the need to supplement their earnings by advertising too!

sodapop Tue 20-Oct-20 09:20:40

GG13 from personal experience some years ago the staff in County Council establishments were reasonably well paid. Pay was commensurate with experience, training, skills etc. Training facilities were good and staff had paid holiday/sick pay.
The care given in CC establishments was monitored and generally of a much higher standard than many private establishments charging large fees.

PECS Tue 20-Oct-20 09:26:46

But celebrity pay is capitalism at its best! These celebs are a commodity that are in high demand because they pull in viewers to watch programmes. A basic princple of capitalism is to create demand for your " product" whilst limiting supply so price & profit goes up. And the viewing public feed it.

Margs Tue 20-Oct-20 10:22:39

But Claudia NEEDS that much to afford all that eyeliner she wears.

Panda-Eyes or what?

Teetime Tue 20-Oct-20 10:26:46

Reminds me of a Hancock sketch (Tony not the other one)much quoted in our house....'there's Adam Faith earning more than the Prime Minister'.

Yes we have a dated sense of humour.

kevincharley Tue 20-Oct-20 10:36:21

£350k each? Hmm... They could've got someone decent for that price.

dolphindaisy Tue 20-Oct-20 10:36:35

I was surprised to see that Lauren Laverne is the 8th highest paid BBC presenter - on £395,000. I would rather watch Claudia anyday, at least she has some personality

Craftycat Tue 20-Oct-20 10:41:02

I think they are worth every penny.

Saggi Tue 20-Oct-20 10:50:58

Well done NotSpaghetti for seeing the real post..... please Maybiteifstartled...do not stay in an abusive marriage. I know it’s difficult if money is a problem.... but NotSpaghetti has sent you a good link. Use it ...please

Aliceharper1 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:53:28

Claudia is not that funny and they certainly are not worth that much for nine weekends
What on earth do they do ?

helgawills Tue 20-Oct-20 10:55:50

I have never understood celebrity culture, and to me those two have zero personality, and I can't stand the way Tess paws all the dancers. I agree with the post about trying out new talent.
The BBC should ask all licence fee payers to vote if the prefer certain 'glamorous' presenters or no licence for over 75s.

Lesley60 Tue 20-Oct-20 10:59:53

Nankate it does irritate me that it’s us paying these ridiculous wages to two talentless wooden women and the BBC can’t give old people free licences
I can’t bare to watch them, and the non celebrities dancing, I used to watch when I could recognise the celebrities but they are scraping the barrel now.

Lesley60 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:02:00

Craftycat I can’t tell if you are joking or serious ?

Margliz2912 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:03:36

There’s a competition on ITV at the moment that states the average wage in the UK is £32000. Perhaps they should tell the government. I retired in March after 40 years in the NHS. I was on the top of my band & earned just over £28000. These people are grossly overpaid.

Kamiso Tue 20-Oct-20 11:03:42

Perhaps their pay could be dependent on viewing/listening figures? Zoe Ball has lost nearly half the morning listeners on the radio. Her screeching is bad enough later in the day but definitely not appreciated first thing. I dare say their Agents get a good whack of their earnings.

We went to some kind of exhibition years ago on the embankment (can’t remember the name though MOMI just surfaced in my brain) and the public could queue up to try newsreading. It’s a lot harder than most people thought!

When he was driving for a living a Japanese man explained that the top boss can only earn 10x the lowest paid worker so it’s in his interest to ensure better wages for all. They do have to bow a lot and the whole workforce comes out to greet the top person which possibly feds the ego.

Unigran4 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:20:34

Each participant will have had their payment negotiated by their agents, independent of each other. That's why there are discrepancies. It all depends on how hard the agent negotiates and how much the BBC wants them. Different deals are struck accordingly.

Aepgirl Tue 20-Oct-20 11:21:02

Maybiteifstartled - their clothes aren’t even pretty. Claudia looked like an escapee from a Quality Street tin this week.

Neither of them is worth that money. They aren’t particularly talented, and why do there need to be 2 overpaid presenters? There are many ‘celebs’ who would do it for less.

Granartisan Tue 20-Oct-20 11:24:11

If they were paid less, we wouldn't receive any more! With all that's going on in the world are these salaries that important? And who'd want Boris's job?

Coco51 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:26:07

Adding footballers, TV ’personalities’...And lawyers £250 + per hour. There must be a lot of wealth around for law firms to be viable going concerns!
The world would be a much nicer place if we practised the Swedish concept of ’Largom’ - not too little and not too much.

25Avalon Tue 20-Oct-20 11:29:55

Then the BBC want to charge over 75’s for their TV licence as they are short of money!!!