Gransnet forums

AIBU

Claudia and Tess - Strictly salaries

(93 Posts)
Maybiteifstartled Mon 19-Oct-20 14:40:46

The BBC have finally had to admit that Claudia and Tess each get paid £350,000 for their roles on Strictly.

I don't like swearing but * Bloody Hell *

More than a third of a Million ££ for standing around in pretty clothes making no substantial contribution to the outcome of the show.

If someone gave me that sort of money for turning up for nine weekends I could leave an abusive marriage and be safe.

Am I being unreasonable? I think it's obscene. angry angry

win Tue 20-Oct-20 11:47:24

So coud I Gulligranny cannot stand watching them and as for that fringe, don't get me started.

Startingover61 Tue 20-Oct-20 11:54:20

I’m far more concerned about your comment about being in an abusive marriage; really couldn’t care less about the over-inflated salaries. I put up with emotional and financial abuse for far too long. I’m now divorced. Coercive control was made illegal in 2015; wish I’d known at the time. No way do you have to put up with the abuse. Please use the links given.

FlotheCrow Tue 20-Oct-20 12:17:50

Can't stand Claudia. What was she doing wearing those ghastly lurex pyjamas on Saturday? With all that money, you'd think she could afford some decent clothes.

Bijou Tue 20-Oct-20 12:30:35

My son and I have stopped watching Strictly. Too bright, flashy and noisy. Both being pensioners we do not get value for the TV licence.
Why two presenters. Brucie did it alone.

CarlyD7 Tue 20-Oct-20 12:43:24

Firstly, Bruce did not present Strictly on his own - he did it with Tess.

Secondly, there are loads of male presenters and broadcasters who get paid these sorts of salaries and people don't say boo about it - it's just another example of misogyny ("let's bash the women"). Personally, I think they both do a good job and I'm very happy to see Strictly back.

Thirdly - the government decided to end the free licence for the over 75s and then saddled the BBC with the extra responsibility and shifted the blame. It's a bit rich to complain about the BBC doing it when they had no choice! People on Pension Credit will still get free TV licences which seems very fair to me - not every pensioner needs one. (I know a couple who both have fat final salary pensions, a house worth £750,000 and around £500,000 in savings and investments, and STILL get a free TV licence. Madness).

Juneandarchie1 Tue 20-Oct-20 12:50:59

I don’t give a poo how much anyone earns, I measure them up by their compassion and heart. Everyone is struggling in one way or another, even the high earners, bigger houses, bigger bills ??

sparklingsilver28 Tue 20-Oct-20 12:52:19

Now quite clear why no free licence for over 75s!!

earnshaw Tue 20-Oct-20 13:07:15

it does seem all wrong, what with Zoe Ball, Lineker, footballers, and at the other end of the scale, the medical profession , salaries should be reversed, its just not right ,i was watching a tv documentary about surgeons and what fantastic jobs they do, i was in awe, then i see that million pound house Zoe Balls just bought, and the footballer in Greece saying to the police, Do you know who i am. i am a footballer, i am the captain of man united

ExaltedWombat Tue 20-Oct-20 13:13:28

"Yes, my daughter, you can be Anything You Want To Be, if you work hard enough. But we're putting a cap on your salary."

icanhandthemback Tue 20-Oct-20 13:17:24

If you are lucky, as a presenter, a film star, etc, you get a good long run and can wrack up a fantastic money. However, only a few of the presenters (particularly women) get lifetime's career out of what they are doing. Furthermore, if you get accused of something, even if you are cleared, you find you are no longer chosen to present anything. You only have to look at the previously very popular John Leslie to see how your career can be scuppered by unproved allegations.
These days, presenters have to have thick skins to put with the Social Media bullying, the scrutiny of their private lives, etc. It seems like a lot of money but I wonder how many of us could live like they do in a goldfish bowl. The flak a "private" star gets is almost hysterical.
The BBC have to compete with other tv companies and need to attract the talent especially in a day and age where the newer generations don't actually watch live streamed tv but tend to watch Netflix or the like. How on earth do we expect the BBC to maintain high standards, decreasing viewing numbers, no advertising income and free tv licences and still be a going concern. Just like the NHS, we expect far more than they can realistically achieve and many elderly people can easily afford to pay their tv licence.

Samiejb Tue 20-Oct-20 13:26:42

As far as I'm concerned they have updated the judges on several occasions and I think it's about time Tess was replaced - thinks too much of herself and is almost boring. To earn money on that scale is scandalous - she is not the reason people switch on. Similar to Gary lineker - people watch for the football not the presenter.

Gilmul Tue 20-Oct-20 13:29:23

I was just about to comment the same . The most I
Port any particular of that post is that a woman is trapped in an abusive relationshipsad(

songstress60 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:36:15

it is obscene what they are paid, and they are a pair of talentless z-listers. Yet over - 75's will have to pay for a tv licence. It makes me really angry.

Patticake123 Tue 20-Oct-20 13:40:26

It needs ‘ordinary ‘ people to stand up to these inflated salaries. While we accept that it is OK for CEO’s and TV stars etc to earn eye watering amounts of money in comparison to the vast majority of us, it will continue. I worked for 44 years as a nurse and a nurse tutor and I don’t think I earned as much in a lifetime as some of these people ‘earn’ in a year.

Ellie Anne Tue 20-Oct-20 14:13:15

Gulligranny totally agree

Greciangirl Tue 20-Oct-20 15:15:14

It’s a programme full of luvvies.
Gushing and fawning over each other.

Having said that, I do enjoy the dancing.
It’s a little bit of escapism.

hulahoop Tue 20-Oct-20 16:06:18

I would like to see some different presenters it's the same old faces who get ridiculous salary and that's not enough a lot of them do adverts has well I know some people are influenced to buy things they ??use but the majority of people are not .

FannyCornforth Tue 20-Oct-20 16:07:18

Chewbacca

The one that really annoys me is Zoe Ball earning £1,369,444 a year for her radio show.

Absolutely. The Radio 2 breakfast gig has Ken Bruce's name all over it.
But too male, stale and pale.

123kitty Tue 20-Oct-20 16:08:12

Just like the rest of us, they get paid what their employers consider they are worth, well done them.

seadragon Tue 20-Oct-20 16:24:20

inews.co.uk/culture/television/gary-lineker-pay-cut-bbc-new-deal-match-of-the-day-salary-reduction-645497 Even with a paycut of 23%, Gary is still on over £1m a year... as for the over 75's license fee: @CarlyD7 - what you said!

Cp43 Tue 20-Oct-20 18:24:04

I agree totally. It sickens me, they ponce about talking inanely wearing shoes they can’t balance on let along walk in. That salary is just beyond belief. I hope they are generous to charity.

Nvella Tue 20-Oct-20 19:20:04

Doesn’t bother me in the least. I think they do what they do very well. As far as I am concerned they are much more valuable to the nation in terms of helping us feel good than the current government!

jerseygirl Tue 20-Oct-20 19:35:45

I like Claudia but i cant stand Tess Daly. Wooden and false!

Whatdayisit Wed 21-Oct-20 06:14:14

One of the reasons i switched off the BBC the amount of adverts for Strictly - probably more frequent and more annoying than the GoCompare adverts! And the amount of time taken on Radio 2 talking about the bloody show.
I don't pay the tv liccence fee as i do not have a tv or watch anything on my ipad so the amount anybody gets paid by the BBC is nothing to do with me.
But these ladies would get paid more for a similar role on ITV.
I pulled the plug on Radio 2 after they treated Simon Mayo very shoddily. But it seems a lot of stalwarts are turning their backs too like Andrew Neil.
I do find it sick when the same overpaid faces promote themselves shaking buckets for children in need.

Firecracker123 Wed 21-Oct-20 08:22:00

16:08123kitty

Just like the rest of us, they get paid what their employers consider they are worth, well done them.

How ridiculous you really believe Tess Daly, Claudia, Zoe Ball and crisp man Gary Lineker deserve these astronomical salaries. The licence fee pays their salaries which households have to pay £157 with threat of a large fine if they don't, the BBC are sending out letters to oaps threatening them. The BBC is past its sell by date if people want to watch they should pay a subscription like Netflix or Amazon Prime.