Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sutcliffe

(88 Posts)
Sallywally1 Fri 13-Nov-20 21:14:38

So glad that monster has gone.

Thoughts with the women who died at his hands and their families Richard McCann, in particular, has been outstanding with his forgiveness to the person who murdered his mother.

I remember that time in the 70s when fear stalked the streets, not just in Leeds, but everywhere. Of course now is worse, but perhaps that was the beginning?

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 20:21:52

Anniebach

We need to learn from the past, how the police handle those
murders and attacks , has much changed ?

Do where did your post with gratuitous details fit in?

lemongrove Sat 14-Nov-20 20:24:32

It was a terrible time in the North, all those years while Sutcliffe continued his killing spree.The tv programme about it recently was an eye opener.The top detectives in the case were hopeless, and when he was finally captured ( by the Manchester police I think, and on a minor matter) then they realised what they had and put two and two together and then the West Yorkshire force ( the senior team on the case) tried to bask in the glory! It was a catalogue of errors from start to finish.

lemongrove Sat 14-Nov-20 20:27:58

Anniebach

We need to learn from the past, how the police handle those
murders and attacks , has much changed ?

I really do hope so Annie
I think times have changed though, ( attitudes to women)and also computers have made such a difference, I doubt there could be so many mistakes made today.It really was a sexist era, the 1970’s and early 80’s.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 20:32:03

If the death penalty was still around these monsters wouldn't murder again would they ? It's the way I see it anyway.
It might be barbaric to many---but so is murdering innocent women !

Anniebach Sat 14-Nov-20 20:39:42

Thank you lemon for replying to my post without personal
snide comments.

EllanVannin if the death penalty was still around innocent
people would be hanged as well as the guilty. And women like
Ruth Ellis would be hanged.

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 20:41:39

EllanVannin

If the death penalty was still around these monsters wouldn't murder again would they ? It's the way I see it anyway.
It might be barbaric to many---but so is murdering innocent women !

Well, he never murdered again after they caught him, did he?

lemongrove Sat 14-Nov-20 20:45:52

There being a death penalty for the crime of murder never stopped murderers, and as Annie rightly says, innocent men and women were executed at times.

Anniebach Sat 14-Nov-20 21:07:31

Just one more thought on the hanging of Ruth Ellis, she did
murder her lover, she was guilty .

She was a peroxide night club hostess, her lover a wealthy former public school educated man, he was given to battering
her, he did so when she was pregnant and caused a miscarriage, she had severe depression , but she was guilty so they hanged her.

Atqui Sat 14-Nov-20 21:08:19

A thread about Peter Sutcliffe is bound to invite a variety of posts, so taking the moral high ground against Anniebach s post seems unnecessary.

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 21:16:11

If you are referring to Anniebach's post about the death penalty Atqui, I will always speak out against the death penalty in any circumstances.

LauraNorder Sat 14-Nov-20 21:31:13

Sallywally1

So glad that monster has gone.

Thoughts with the women who died at his hands and their families Richard McCann, in particular, has been outstanding with his forgiveness to the person who murdered his mother.

I remember that time in the 70s when fear stalked the streets, not just in Leeds, but everywhere. Of course now is worse, but perhaps that was the beginning?

The original poster remembers the fear on the streets in the 1970’s, comments that things are worse now and wonders if this was the beginning.
Can I just point out the Jack the Ripper was murdering women in 1888.
I agree with Anniebach and Lemongrove, the death penalty won’t deter a serial killer.
I do think the police have a far more respectful and sympathetic view towards female victims than they did in the past.
Always room for improvement and good to hold to account the ones with their head in the past.

Anniebach Sat 14-Nov-20 21:31:45

I have joined the discussion on Peter Sutcliffe, because I
gave my opinion on the police, the judge, a severe mental
illness I got flack for not simply expressing sorrow and calling
for the death penalty.

I don’t think he refused treatment because he was controlling,
he had many attacks over the years, lost the sight of eye, i think through a knifing. Doubt very much he was treated kindly by the warders, God knows how tormented his mind was , he wanted to escape and the only way was death.

I feel so much for his victims and their families, but I also
think it too easy to judge someone who was seriously mentally
ill.

What of the mass murderer who cut up his victims bodies, kept parts in the fridge because he ate them

Seems a person with a serious mental illness is evil.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 21:33:48

Plenty more in his place though Alegrias---and yes, Ruth Ellis was guilty, she shot the man didn't she ?

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 21:34:24

I'm sorry Anniebach, I misunderstood. I hope I haven't caused any distress.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 21:35:04

It'll please you all to know that you're all paying for its funeral-----out of your tax !

Atqui Sat 14-Nov-20 21:35:27

I was referring to the post which criticised Annie for being insensitive for including details of his first attack*Alegrias*.

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 21:43:30

Atqui

I was referring to the post which criticised Annie for being insensitive for including details of his first attack*Alegrias*.

Yes, I completely misunderstood Atqui, apologies to you too.

Atqui Sat 14-Nov-20 21:45:49

I agree Annie ,the man must have been seriously deranged to commit such heinous crimes , and how anyone could have considered him sane ......Are all misogynists mentally ill, or are some the product of our culture ?

Galaxy Sat 14-Nov-20 21:51:23

I think it's probably a bit of both. If you send a message that it's ok to buy consent then we shouldn't be so surprised if some men view those women as worthless.

Gwyneth Sat 14-Nov-20 22:00:32

I agree Galaxy the focus is women killed by violent men not politics.

Anniebach Sat 14-Nov-20 22:08:23

No apology need Alegrias2 I am not offended,

Atqui 4 psychiatrists declared him a paranoid schizophrenic,
the prosecuting team were willing to accept this, the judge
overruled them. He was later sent to Broadmoor , schizophrenia.

He had to spend his life in prison so the sentence was the only
one which could have been passed.

Were the crimes evil ? Yes. is a schizophrenic evil ?

Atqui Sat 14-Nov-20 22:22:14

We still know so little about what drives people to behave in different ways . So many shades of abuse , but that’s no consolation for the victims

Iam64 Sat 14-Nov-20 22:48:56

Peter Sutcliffe was moved to Broadmoor about three years into his sentence. That wouldn’t have happened if he wasn’t diagnosed with significant m.h problems. The diagnosis was schizophrenia and he was successfully treated. That doesn’t mean cured, it means his symptoms responded to treatment. He returned to prison.

Many people live reasonably well with a diagnosis of schizophrenia, providing the remain compliant with meds’ and other treatments. Few become murderers.

If the police had computers and cctv he’d probably been caught earlier. They were drowning in paper, poorly led in West Yorkshire and not working in partnership with Manchester. I was living on a road leading to the red light area Moss side/Whaley range. We had police cars either end of the road, taking number plates. They were also talking with sex workers to make sure they felt safe if they suspected a punter

I’m with Anniebach and others on rejecting any talk of death penalty. Of course the tax payer will fund his funeral. I doubt it’s goung to be a public affair

Sparkling Sun 15-Nov-20 06:50:57

With respect. If someone can hold down a job, still has capacity to reason and be crafty enough to fool psychiatrists, they are responsible for what they do. His wife didn't appear to have a problem with what he did, just described as a cold uncommunicative woman, but she remarried,yet still lives alone in the house she had shared with Sutcliffe. That's weird.
My sympathy is with these victims families. We don't have the death penalty so many serious offenders are given parole and commit the same crime so another grieving family pays the cost. Thankfully not him.Whatever happened to him is nothing, he grew old and fat in prison, his victims most of them barely out of their teens. At least we are not funding him any more.

Sparkling Sun 15-Nov-20 06:56:44

Ruth Ellis was not a serial killer, she was a vulnerable woman if you read about the case it's tragic. She should have not been hung, she needed help. Sutcliffe committed murder 'most foul' Ellis driven to a a crime of passion when she was suffering.