Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sutcliffe

(88 Posts)
Sallywally1 Fri 13-Nov-20 21:14:38

So glad that monster has gone.

Thoughts with the women who died at his hands and their families Richard McCann, in particular, has been outstanding with his forgiveness to the person who murdered his mother.

I remember that time in the 70s when fear stalked the streets, not just in Leeds, but everywhere. Of course now is worse, but perhaps that was the beginning?

harrigran Sat 14-Nov-20 09:12:12

The " my name's Jack " tape came from a man living in our town, he was of low intelligence and died some years ago.
Every male in the town was visited by police so they could listen to their voice and a sample of handwriting had to be given to cross reference with the letters he sent to the police.
Sutcliffe was pure evil, I don't imagine he repented on his death bed.

LauraNorder Sat 14-Nov-20 09:21:12

After the Christchurch terrorist committed that horrid atrocity, their premier Jacinda Adern refused to ever speak his name thereby denying him notoriety. I would like to do the same with all evil murderers.

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 09:22:33

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/13/peter-sutcliffe-crimes-women-police-investigation-murders-misogny?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

This is worth a read if you want an expansion on the points I was making.

And yes Galaxy the BBC had to be shamed into even mentioning Reeva Steenkamp’s name in their pre broadcast publicity of the programme about him.

The basic point I’m making is that what the media and press and public ( who lapped up RL’s comments) did and said re PS has not gone away. Asking ‘why was she out so late’/ ‘why was she drunk’/ ‘why did she have an affair with someone else’/ ‘why didn’t she just leave him’ is as frequent today as ever.

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 09:26:06

Here’s the BBC apology for ignoring the murdered woman.

www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/statements/oscar-pistorius

Alegrias2 Sat 14-Nov-20 09:35:28

On one of the news programs last night - I forget which one - they slowly read out each woman's name and showed her picture. No mention of how she earned a living. I liked that.

BlueSky Sat 14-Nov-20 09:35:47

Suzie truly horrified at that quote! I can’t believe anybody could write that, let alone get away with it. Disgusting!

Shropshirelass Sat 14-Nov-20 09:40:34

I too am glad he has gone, I hope he suffered but he chose not to have medical treatment so he chose his way to die unlike his poor victims. The cost to the taxpayer of keeping this evil monster alive for so long is enormous, he didn’t deserve to be kept alive, and we all paid towards it. A good case for the death penalty but that is for another thread!

Galaxy Sat 14-Nov-20 09:44:38

And we collude in it in some way I think by using the Oscar Pistorius name (as I did) rather than Reeva Steencamp.

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 09:45:22

BlueSky

Suzie truly horrified at that quote! I can’t believe anybody could write that, let alone get away with it. Disgusting!

You should read the whole article. There are many reasons for despising the DM but RL may well be top of the list. He’s do the same today

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 09:48:01

Galaxy

And we collude in it in some way I think by using the Oscar Pistorius name (as I did) rather than Reeva Steencamp.

I don’t agree about not using people’s names - it’s how we allow their victims to be treated and talked about that matters. It’s window dressing to not use their names whilst so many of us are complicit in the demonisation and victim blaming of women.

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 09:53:01

And on another thread this morning, one poster calling another one a ‘b***h’. And so it continues.

Sarnia Sat 14-Nov-20 09:56:29

EllanVannin

My other gripe is that the controlling monster still got his own way by refusing to be treated for Covid.

Why worry about that? It frees up those resources for somebody who deserves it.

Sarnia Sat 14-Nov-20 10:02:44

Alegrias2

On one of the news programs last night - I forget which one - they slowly read out each woman's name and showed her picture. No mention of how she earned a living. I liked that.

Me too. That's the way it should be as well. They were all someone's daughter and ought to have been treated with respect. I recently read The Five by Hallie Rubenhold. It's a factual book about the 5 victims of Jack the Ripper. They were all portrayed as prostitutes which was incorrect as it turns out but it suited the men of the day to label them as such and imply that they had asked for their brutal end.

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 10:18:11

Next time there’s a thread on GN which results in victim blaming , there’s clearly going to be an increase in posters criticising that approach. I look forward to it.

Anniebach Sat 14-Nov-20 10:33:53

Peter Sutcliffe’s first attack on a woman , he followed a prostitute who he believed was the woman who had stolen money from him. He hit the woman with a stone in a sock,
She reported the attack to the police , they questioned him,
he said he had hit her but only with his hand, the police told
him he was lucky the woman didn’t want to press charges.

The woman was ‘ a known prostitute her husband was serving
a jail sentence’.

I find it amazing that someone can be diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia by four psychiatrists but a judge could
dismiss this. Three years later he was transferred to Broadmoor , in 2009 he was declared sane. How did they cure
paranoid schizophrenia !

timetogo2016 Sat 14-Nov-20 11:05:50

Should have gone years ago and saved the country a load of money.

suziewoozie Sat 14-Nov-20 11:25:23

Annie I found your post extremely insensitive and inappropriate in the circumstances. I don’t think any of us want to go over the details. He’s dead and it’s the future treatment of women that should concern us

Hellogirl1 Sat 14-Nov-20 18:31:23

Am I alone in being horrified that we, the taxpayers, have to pay up to £3,000 towards the cost of this monster`s funeral? That is, unless his family are footing the bill.

Iam64 Sat 14-Nov-20 18:52:15

Two women each week are murdered by partner/ex partner. I read recently this has increased during lockdown, along with incidents of domestic abuse.

I echo was Suziewoosie says and hope that next time we have a gransnet thread on victims of sexual violence, whether its within a relationship or not, more empathy and understanding is shown for the victim.

Patsy70 Sat 14-Nov-20 18:52:58

No, Hellogirl1 you are not alone. I find it horrific that taxpayers should have to pay for this monster’s funeral. Just heard it on the radio. Surely there are alternatives.

varian Sat 14-Nov-20 18:57:49

This ghastly person was directly responsible for thirteen deaths, much more injury, terror and anxiety and an enormous expenditure of public money.

We have, in the last year, seen some public figures who will never end up in jail, responsible for many more deaths, much more misery and a colossal amount of public money.

Patsy70 Sat 14-Nov-20 19:08:44

Public figures, in my view, have not murdered thirteen innocent women, inflicted pain, injury, anxiety and lifelong mental illness deliberately on so many others, as this monster has. This ‘Pandemic’ has affected the world, the ‘public figures’ did not bring it about.

Galaxy Sat 14-Nov-20 19:11:33

I think its quite important that the focus of this thread is women killed by violent men. And the reasons for that which include society's view of women.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 19:27:33

Sarnia, meaning that in its dying breath it remained to be the controlling monster that it was.

Anniebach Sat 14-Nov-20 19:28:37

We need to learn from the past, how the police handle those
murders and attacks , has much changed ?