Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sutcliffe

(87 Posts)
Mapleleaf Fri 13-Nov-20 23:28:59

As for Littlejohn, well...
I read his remarks in the mail article and I’m horrified. The lives those women led might not be the lives we would choose, but who are we to judge? We don’t know what led them down the path to prostitution. We can sit in our comfortable homes and pass judgement, but really, should we? There but for the grace of God go I. And, if there wasn’t a market for paid sex, there would be no prostitutes (of any sex) would there, and no exploitation, would there?
I know, I’ll be castigated for looking at it simplistically, but these columnists who write what they write to make a name for themselves, do they ever consider they might have siblings, children, friends, etc, who could quite easily be led onto a path far from what they would wish for them to be on due to circumstances they could never have envisaged?
It’s so easy to make cruel remarks, much greater not to.

Blossoming Fri 13-Nov-20 23:26:04

I’m not shedding any tears.

Mapleleaf Fri 13-Nov-20 22:58:20

No loss at all, I agree “Charleygirl5*.

Charleygirl5 Fri 13-Nov-20 22:43:21

Peter Sutcliffe is no loss.

phoenix Fri 13-Nov-20 22:42:32

Sallywally1 thank you for referring to him as Sutcliffe, to use the name that many in the press ascribe to him is giving him a sort of "status" (sorry, not the right word, but hopefully my meaning will be understood) that is utterly wrong.

suziewoozie Fri 13-Nov-20 22:36:16

Richard Littlejohn - still going strong and a darling of the right

suziewoozie Fri 13-Nov-20 22:35:08

30 years later when 5 women were murdered in Ipswich by another serial,killer, this is what Daily Mail columnist wrote on that esteemed paper ( part of a longer article full of misogynistic elitist filth)

‘That doesn't make it justifiable homicide, but in the scheme of things the deaths of these five women is no great loss.

They weren't going to discover a cure for cancer or embark on missionary work in Darfur. The only kind of missionary position they undertook was in the back seat of a car.‘

He’d write the same today

Hetty58 Fri 13-Nov-20 22:05:50

Glad he's gone!

EllanVannin Fri 13-Nov-20 21:29:35

My other gripe is that the controlling monster still got his own way by refusing to be treated for Covid.

EllanVannin Fri 13-Nov-20 21:27:15

And an apology----how many years later ?----by police who investigated the case.

Galaxy Fri 13-Nov-20 21:24:43

And the way in which the women who were his victims were talked about. I am shedding no tears.

Sallywally1 Fri 13-Nov-20 21:14:38

So glad that monster has gone.

Thoughts with the women who died at his hands and their families Richard McCann, in particular, has been outstanding with his forgiveness to the person who murdered his mother.

I remember that time in the 70s when fear stalked the streets, not just in Leeds, but everywhere. Of course now is worse, but perhaps that was the beginning?