Gransnet forums

AIBU

Netflix The Crown do you think it is disrespectful?

(63 Posts)
Sadgrandma Tue 01-Dec-20 10:58:08

I haven't seen this programme but, from what I have read, it seems to me that it is disrespectful to make a programme about people, royal family or not, without their express permission, certainly if, from what I have read, much of it is fictionalised. What do you all think?

pigsmayfly. Wed 02-Dec-20 08:30:52

Most of us have lived through the history covered by season 4. There were no real surprises in it for me. Most of the events included were presented to us at the time by the media, hence not necessarily factual anyway. Who knows what was said behind closed doors?
For me, the scandal I cannot get past is the one apparently involving Andrew. They lost me as a fan at that point

lemsip Wed 02-Dec-20 08:54:15

It is based on truth, if embroidered somewhat!

Harris27 Wed 02-Dec-20 08:59:09

Not disrespectful but damaging it’s brought a lot to the fore.

Oldwoman70 Wed 02-Dec-20 09:24:03

The difference between a programme like this about the RF and one about any politician or celebrity is that politicians and celebrities can and do respond. The RF don't, so some younger viewers may take what they are watching as a documentary rather than a drama.

Anniebach Wed 02-Dec-20 10:47:14

Can a conversation between two people in private be claimed
to be fact ?

Jaffacake2 Wed 02-Dec-20 15:56:07

Just listened to a podcast on Guardian online with Jennie Bond the Royal correspondent being interviewed about the Crown. Very interesting,recommend it to all .

nanna8 Tue 08-Dec-20 11:46:03

Wonder if they will go into who arranged Diana’s death in future episodes? Guess it will come out one day in the distant future.

Anniebach Tue 08-Dec-20 12:20:00

Diana’s death was arranged by Phillip, Robert Fellows her brother in law and private secretary to the Queen stormed the
Embassy in Paris that night, ordered the hospitals not to treat her, ordered the French police to allow the paparazzi to hound her, a man was seen in the tunnel at the time of the crash, he was on a motorbike with a dog riding pillion , there were ten men in grey suits standing in the tunnel too.

No matter Robert Fellows was attend a lecture in his village that night , a lecture given by a famous author.

This came from people who believed the same as nanna8

eazybee Tue 08-Dec-20 13:01:35

A long time ago there was a series called 'Edward and Mrs. Simpson' dealing with the Duke of Windsor and the events surrounding his abdication, but I don't remember there being any accusations of it being inaccurate. It was not flattering to him; some of the people involved were still alive but I can't remember whether he or his wife were.

Missfoodlove Tue 08-Dec-20 15:59:01

The RF motto is;

Never complain.
Never explain
Never apologise.

They will remain tight lipped while the “ men in suits” get to work.

Fuchsiarose Fri 11-Dec-20 16:00:22

Not seen it. Not likely to, there are skeletons in everyone's cupboards.

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:04:44

I didn’t enjoy it as much as the earlier series, not because of content but some of the actors just seemed a bit strange especially those portraying Charles and Margaret Thatcher.
As far as I know this will be the last series and Diana’s death will not be serialised. At least not for some time.
Netflix insist it’s a drama which it may well be but I don’t think it’s fiction as am old enough to remember events as they occurred.

Anniebach Fri 11-Dec-20 17:10:53

You were witness to private conversations silverling or you
remember what was claimed in the press ?

Jane10 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:14:36

It's not the last series. The next one will have the Queen portrayed by Imelda Staunton. Hmmm

silverlining48 Fri 11-Dec-20 17:22:09

Clearly none of us were witness to private conversations. I am not a particular fan of the RF but do remember what was happening at the time ( it couldnt be avoided) via our media and the foreign press who have no rules about not reporting about our RF.
Ages before it was announced we knew that C and D were divorcing and further back, the divorce of Margaret and Armstrong Jones. None of this had been reported by our press.

Lolo81 Sun 13-Dec-20 04:36:03

As far as I am aware there will be at least another series, casting as others have said is ongoing. The creators have said they will take it through to the end of Tony Blair’s term in office so 2001?
I’ve found the whole series very interesting, especially the earlier seasons and the episode on the outcasted family members in institutions was heart breaking. I do think that it could potentially re-ignite the public distaste toward the Duchess of Cornwall though.

Blencathra Sun 13-Dec-20 07:44:03

It is just a drama - take it all with a large pinch of salt! I wouldn’t make your mind without seeing it.

Jules48 Sun 13-Dec-20 07:48:18

www.bt.com/tv/drama/the-crown-season-5-netflix-cast-characters-release-start-date-time-period-true-story-history-plot-storyline-filming-locations

Seems there will be a further series, with Imelda Staunton as the Queen - but filming delayed due to Covid

GrannyLaine Sun 13-Dec-20 08:02:00

The series as a whole has been interesting. I don't think its disrespectful but we found the latest season rather grim watching. I particularly disliked Gillian Anderson's portrayal of Margaret Thatcher.

EllanVannin Sun 13-Dec-20 08:06:24

I've never watched it and have no desire to I'd rather watch old reels of film about the Royals as I did last night when watching the life of Princess Alice, bless her.

fevertree Sun 13-Dec-20 08:07:41

Crikey, Anniebach you'll be had for libel! You can't possibly state those as facts. Diana died in an accident.

She really was like a candle in the wind that Summer. I watched a programme (with actual news footage) and she was all over the place, U.S. (Versace funeral), Angola, Bosnia, back and forth to the Med, it was as if she was on a speeding train. I felt so sorry for that young woman.

Newly divorced, she had no apparent guidance from a mother, or even her ex mother-in-law. And then she lost her life in a car driven by a drunk driver in what should have been a five minute journey. A great tragedy.

I agree Season 4 of The Crown is not as good as the earlier ones.

Anniebach Sun 13-Dec-20 08:40:34

fevertree. You didn’t follow the inquest ?

Diana wasn’t speaking to her mother or her siblings at the end
of her life. You really think she would have listened to anyone?

EllanVannin Sun 13-Dec-20 08:44:53

The Royals can't fight back about the programme can they ? It's not fair.

Lucca Sun 13-Dec-20 09:14:00

Can’t fight back against GN prejudice either....

lemongrove Sun 13-Dec-20 09:56:46

I have only seen the first two series, which were excellent drama based around actual events with much guesswork and
Made up conversations.Great acting from all concerned.
From hearsay, the later series are not as good.
Disrespectful? Possibly in certain parts, but it also shows flawed human beings, like all of us.Damaging perhaps, as the mystique about the RF is that they are somehow different!