Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to get a bit annoyed every year with SIL giving us a Christmas card from a pack.

(318 Posts)
Kandinsky Tue 15-Dec-20 13:26:10

She’s my DH’s only sibling - you’d think she’d buy a special, ‘to my brother & family’ type card rather than a card from a box that she probably uses for the neighbours & milkman too.
I always buy ‘special’ cards for immediate family.
Also, they have money so that’s not the issue ( I’d completely understand if it was )

AIBU?

MamaB247 Wed 16-Dec-20 17:18:05

I think you sound very entitled. Is your first name Karen by any chance. My family get whatever cards I have, some are from the year before. A couple of family members who don't get a chance to see my son thru the year as much as others get a peronslais d photo card to update them. But even my husband and mam n dad get normal cards. The fact that you get a card shows they are thinking of you. Why go out their way to spend a fortune on cards when like other people have said a box of charity christmas cards goes a long way and helps others at the same time. Do you really need her to affirm the fact you are her sister in law are you really that concieted. If my sister in n law ever suggested she was "entitled" to a special card because of who she was. I'd make her one every year out of toilet roll and trust me I'd not guarantee it was unused. If I send a Christmas card it's because I want to not because your entitled to one becaus your a Karen.

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 17:22:49

MamaB247....... have you read the thread ?

GillT57 Wed 16-Dec-20 17:36:45

MamaB247 rather an unnecessarily snarky comment from you. Kadinsky; you have raised a question, got your answers and very graciously replied, I hope you have a lovely Christmas, and a happy, healthy 2021. flowers

cc Wed 16-Dec-20 17:39:44

YABU, everyone I know gets the same card except children and my husband - as he has seen the card.

Fecklar Wed 16-Dec-20 17:56:40

I find cards cause uneccesary pressure to reciprocate. I'd rather not receive any. Call me weird but that's how I feel about it.

Artaylar Wed 16-Dec-20 18:21:36

I'd say don't sweat the small stuff. I sent db and sil a 'special' card this year just because I felt like it, and got a pack one back - its no biggie though.

Plus (whispers) I'm going to recycle DH's 'special' this year from last year. Am sure I've got the original envelope somewhere (how sad is that). He won't notice at all, and .........its the thought that counts.

Magrithea Wed 16-Dec-20 18:21:54

I'm with those who don't buy/like 'special' cards, I think they're a bit naff!

SueDonim Wed 16-Dec-20 18:25:50

Lucca

READ THE THREAD
READ THE THREAD
READ THE THREAD

I’ll just quote and reproduce Lucca’s post here.

“READ THE THREAD.
READ THE THREAD
READ THE THREAD.”

Patsy70 Wed 16-Dec-20 18:36:40

Lucca SueDonim smile

Macgran43 Wed 16-Dec-20 19:03:48

Have never sent that type of card at Christmas.This year I decided not to send cards to people who had said previously that they were not sending cards. I love getting cards. the thud as they fall on to the hall door. the examination of the address the reading of the latest news etc. Long may the tradition continue.

Reggiecat Wed 16-Dec-20 19:11:24

I buy all my cards in packs from charity. I send the same cards to everyone - my dad used to get the same as I left out for the postman and the veg delivery lad,

I hate those 'special' cards, especially the big ones. The bigger, the tackier and the more I cringe.

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 19:14:00

Patsy70

Lucca SueDonim smile

Thank you but they are still piling in and only reading the OP before repeating what everyone has said and ignoring the fact that Kandinsky has replied ! What is the matter with everyone ?

Greeneyedgirl Wed 16-Dec-20 19:20:20

Be careful thread ?‍✈️about grin

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 19:25:33

Don’t think so. Post about a thread possibly.

Greeneyedgirl Wed 16-Dec-20 19:33:54

Chill, Lucca it’s nearly Christmas.
People like to air their views, however frustrating it can be when the OP has returned, very graciously to acknowledge comments. People hardly ever read the thread before they post. It’s wot happens on GN tchwink

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 19:38:07

Greeneyedgirl

Chill, Lucca it’s nearly Christmas.
People like to air their views, however frustrating it can be when the OP has returned, very graciously to acknowledge comments. People hardly ever read the thread before they post. It’s wot happens on GN tchwink

I’ve had an annoying day including a Flat tyre a hideous visit to hideous Asda and a cancelled treat. So yes I will chill and ignore the anti thread readers!

Greeneyedgirl Wed 16-Dec-20 19:42:37

OMG Lucca that’s grim. One bad experience can set the ball rolling, but your evening can be great now. Have a wee dram and cosy up with some/thing/one nice and forget us naughty thread miscreants.

LauraNorder Wed 16-Dec-20 20:24:19

Kadinsky came back on page 4 or 5 with a very gracious reply. Now on page eleven and in spite of Suedonim and Lucca letting everyone know some posters are still weighing in.
Stop it please, as our FannyC would say ‘shoo’ nothing more to say here.
tchconfused

Tweedle24 Wed 16-Dec-20 22:10:50

I love buying and receiving cards. Like many on here, I get charity cards (from Parkinson’s U.K. and RNLI.) The only special cards are for my grandchildren and great grandchildren’s birthdays, although the latter are all grown up now. I also donate regularly to several charities during the year. I do not buy the charity cards for show or to ‘pretend that I am making a donation’.

Judy43 Wed 16-Dec-20 22:15:10

Always give a Xmas box and card to the milkman and paper boy

HillyN Wed 16-Dec-20 22:30:59

I would normally agree with you Kandinsky, as I always buy special cards for close family and they reciprocate. However with the difficulties shopping for cards and queueing for stamps this year I think I would just be glad to have one.

Hetty58 Wed 16-Dec-20 22:39:18

Kandinsky is being totally unreasonable. If she wants to buy and send 'special' cards, then that's fine, but expecting others to do so is just completely bonkers!

Hetty58 Wed 16-Dec-20 22:43:06

Judy43, same here - and especially this particular year, the milkman, postman and refuse collectors will receive a very generous Christmas tip in appreciation!

misty34 Wed 16-Dec-20 23:07:37

My other half always buys special cards for his brothers and sister but not this year as we are not going out shopping.

All food is delivered etc. This may be the reason. I personally would not want to stand in a card shop perusing numerous cards, reading verses and putting them back once I had touched them in the current climate.

Lucca Wed 16-Dec-20 23:13:17

Hetty58

Kandinsky is being totally unreasonable. If she wants to buy and send 'special' cards, then that's fine, but expecting others to do so is just completely bonkers!

I do not believe this !, Read the thread! Read Lauranorder’s post !