Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to get a bit annoyed every year with SIL giving us a Christmas card from a pack.

(318 Posts)
Kandinsky Tue 15-Dec-20 13:26:10

She’s my DH’s only sibling - you’d think she’d buy a special, ‘to my brother & family’ type card rather than a card from a box that she probably uses for the neighbours & milkman too.
I always buy ‘special’ cards for immediate family.
Also, they have money so that’s not the issue ( I’d completely understand if it was )

AIBU?

M0nica Fri 18-Dec-20 20:49:32

Could suggest daftbags grandson does some more home work on this topic.

Trees are a crop just like wheat or cabbages. They are grown in sustainable forests and cut down and replanted on a regulsr cycle. The economies of several Scandinavian countries and several states (Georgia, North Carolina) are dependent, at least in part on, cropping and managing their forests sustainably. Jobs of all kinds and the lives of many people are dependent on this crop.

Some paper coatings are harmful, but many paper coatings are made from china clay and others by the way the paper is run through special rollers.

Then there are the human and mental health benefits of getting Christmas cards. The happiness they can bring to people.

geekesse you are hard on other children. There are many children who are enthusuastic environmentalists or have a concern for their community. We have seen many examples of this during the various COVID lockdowns. This boy is but one example, there are plenty more.

Purplepoppies Sun 20-Dec-20 18:42:56

I do special cards for my girls. I used to send one to my mum . It was difficult not buying one this year ?
I always buy a cheeky one for my step father.
The rest get boxed cards.
I wouldn't get worked up about it OP, especially this year!!!

Lucca Sun 20-Dec-20 18:49:13

Still going even though op returned days ago !! Read the......

LauraNorder Sun 20-Dec-20 18:57:00

Have you got a big red mark on your forehead Lucca?

Callistemon Sun 20-Dec-20 19:16:54

There are some lovely emojis but I can't seem to download one, Lucca

Greeneyedgirl Sun 20-Dec-20 19:52:24

???

LauraNorder Sun 20-Dec-20 20:02:30

?‍♀️

Lucca Sun 20-Dec-20 20:13:06

Sign of these stressful times that I let this weird behaviour get to me !

Revolucion Sun 20-Dec-20 20:27:23

Wow! YABVU what a weird thing to take umbridge about. I view “special“ cards as ultra naff and certainly never send any of that type of card. A card is a card in my opinion although a homemade one or a personal photo one for me trumps a normal card.
Be grateful that you receive a card and quit with the weird and unnecessary judgements.

geekesse Sun 20-Dec-20 21:58:01

M0nica, I wasn’t referring to other children, I was referring to many recent posts to Gransnet!

Blencathra Mon 21-Dec-20 07:20:15

People simply don’t bother to read the thread!
I was going to say that I never sent special cards and everyone got one from a pack but then I thought I had better read and Kandinsky came back a whole 6 days ago to say that she realised she was being unreasonable!!
If you see that a thread has been going for days you do need to assume that it has moved on!

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Dec-20 07:30:44

MamaB247

I think you sound very entitled. Is your first name Karen by any chance. My family get whatever cards I have, some are from the year before. A couple of family members who don't get a chance to see my son thru the year as much as others get a peronslais d photo card to update them. But even my husband and mam n dad get normal cards. The fact that you get a card shows they are thinking of you. Why go out their way to spend a fortune on cards when like other people have said a box of charity christmas cards goes a long way and helps others at the same time. Do you really need her to affirm the fact you are her sister in law are you really that concieted. If my sister in n law ever suggested she was "entitled" to a special card because of who she was. I'd make her one every year out of toilet roll and trust me I'd not guarantee it was unused. If I send a Christmas card it's because I want to not because your entitled to one becaus your a Karen.

Is this satire?
If so, brava madam!

(Yes, I see what you mean Lucca re RTFT. On the plus side my investigations unearthed this gem.)

Lucca Mon 21-Dec-20 07:51:22

Bizarre! One wonders what has been consumed .....

Elegran Mon 21-Dec-20 08:39:46

If anyone is seeking immortality, look no further. Just start a controversial thread on Gransnet and sit back. You'll be getting answers from irate readers till Doomsday.

FannyCornforth Mon 21-Dec-20 08:43:44

Elegran tchgrin

Lucca Mon 21-Dec-20 09:28:00

And it’s no good starting a thread about “reading the thread” ,people talk about not having enough time to read the whole thread which begs the question as to how they have time to bother being on gransnet in the first place !

Greeneyedgirl Mon 21-Dec-20 10:28:53

I think Elegran the best thread to start is one on a trivial matter, you will get posts til the cows come home ??