Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is it worth voicing my concern over safety?

(91 Posts)
Marj60 Mon 21-Dec-20 08:51:27

My son and daughter-in-law have a ‘whatever will be, will be’ attitude toward some situations. We were out the other night and they allowed their 4 and 2 year old children to play on very wet and slippery playground equipment in the dark. I am been accused of going overboard on safety concerns so I try to keep my mouth shut. Sure enough they both got hurt as a result of the wet conditions. I know my dil does not like my advice and I said nothing but I fear they will sustain a really serious injury some day. Any advice?

inishowen Mon 21-Dec-20 11:12:02

The other evening my daughter was telling her 8 year old to stop running as the pavement was wet and slippery. Of course she was ignored. Next thing my granddaughter had a horrible fall, her two knees hitting the sill of the car. My heart broke for her. She really hurt herself. Later my daughter said I should be proud of her as she never uttered the words I told you so!

ReadyMeals Mon 21-Dec-20 11:15:08

They probably let them take risks and fall in that situation because these days playgrounds are made relatively safe by special surfaces etc. The idea might be that if they hurt themselves slightly by falling in a safe controlled environment they will behave more safely when they find themselves in a more dangerous situation.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 21-Dec-20 11:18:34

First rule for grandmothers (and grandfathers):

Never comment adversely on how the grandchildren are being brought up.

Second rule:

Never offer advice unless it has been asked for.

Third rule: ( applies to everyone in all situations)

Keep mouth firmly closed, unless you have something nice to say.

Callistemon Mon 21-Dec-20 11:20:56

In the event that the children were injured enough to require medical attention they would both have been referred to Social Services.

No, they wouldn't, not in a first instance.

Callistemon Mon 21-Dec-20 11:24:33

Accidents happen, usually just as you arrive on holiday!
We've seen the insides of one or two A&E, both here and overseas.

My DC must take after their mother.
I think one or two of the DGC do too.

MissAdventure Mon 21-Dec-20 11:24:37

Helicopter parenting is the term for those who hover around their children, interrupting their play with health and safety warnings.

LovelyCuppa Mon 21-Dec-20 11:24:44

If you google 'do we become more cautious as we age' you will find lots of explanations for this!

I would definitely not say anything.

Pippa22 Mon 21-Dec-20 11:34:16

Children playing in the playground in the dark. How exciting for them and I guess they weren’t seriously hurt. That just sounds like a fun outing and chance for the adults to have a chat in an allowed situation. It gets dark soon after 3 at the moment, you can’t expect small children not to have any exercise after that time. I would praise the parents for getting the children outdoors not criticising them.

TwinLolly Mon 21-Dec-20 11:36:16

Sadly times are changing to the extent that children are being "wrapped up in cotton wool".

I had so much freedom in colonial Zambia and Kenya. If us children hurt ourselves when we played, we learned from our mistakes. Yes, sometimes we didn't need our parents' warnings and learned the hard way! But it was good for our development, learning through trial and error. It made us who we are today. We were taught not to be afraid of creepy crawlies, snakes, etc, but to have a healthy respect for all creatures ~ but best not touch in case it was poisonous or dangerous.

Us kids had a fantastic childhood because we were allowed to play, get muddy, have genuine fun.

I can understand your concerns regarding your grandchildren but, as other folk on here have said, let them be allowed to enjoy their childhood. Bumps, scrapes and bruises are part of learning what they are able or not able to do in various conditions. Support your son and DIL in their decision in allowing their children to play in the way they want to. And in need, provided a kiss, cuddle and a the occasional plaster. smile

Fernhillnana Mon 21-Dec-20 11:40:41

I don’t know if this helps but we had friends when my kids were growing up who were SO protective. When playing they were constantly told “be careful, don’t do that”. One became an outdoor danger sports instructor. The other has done nothing...

Paperbackwriter Mon 21-Dec-20 11:45:24

If you're going to say anything to anybody (and personally, I absolutely wouldn't) surely it would be your son? Why does your DiL have to take sole responsibility for his children's safety?

PollyDolly Mon 21-Dec-20 11:51:16

Oops, blooming predictive text! Meant to write 'I agree with Jane10' !

Toadinthehole Mon 21-Dec-20 11:52:07

Please don’t say anything unless you think their lives are endangered. Playing on a cliff edge for example! It sounds like it was fun for the kids, and this is the best time to get knocks, when their bones are soft. After all...your DIL has to do all the washing!?. Just enjoy knowing you don’t have to clean them up?

nadateturbe Mon 21-Dec-20 12:06:10

I wouldn't have let my children play on slippery equipment even in daylight, especially so young. And if out with my daughter and the children were doing this I would probably ask nicely, Do you think its safe, because I'm a bit nervous watching them? And I would probably go sit in the car. I know children need to be given freedom and mine were given plenty. And probably did things I didn't know about. But I wouldn't watch them doing something I know to be risky.

Galaxy Mon 21-Dec-20 12:10:36

They absolutely would not be referred to social servicesgrin. Crikey under no circumstances go into early years settings you would pass out!

janeainsworth Mon 21-Dec-20 12:22:57

One of my childhood memories is of going out into the street in the dark, in the snow, with the other child inhabitants of the street and making icy slides in the road. You ran up to the start of the slide, & then slid at high speed for at least 10 yards, probably more.

No one died or even broke anything.

Namsnanny Mon 21-Dec-20 12:50:27

eazybee

Four adults supervising two small children on play equipment and they both were hurt.
Ummm?

You've missed the point easybee only the parents were supervising.
If the OP had her way she doesnt think the accident would have happened.

Namsnanny Mon 21-Dec-20 12:58:56

Fernhillnana

I don’t know if this helps but we had friends when my kids were growing up who were SO protective. When playing they were constantly told “be careful, don’t do that”. One became an outdoor danger sports instructor. The other has done nothing...

There in lies the lesson!smile

narrowboatnan Mon 21-Dec-20 13:04:14

www.verywellfamily.com/why-risk-taking-is-healthy-for-kids-4118491

Baggs Mon 21-Dec-20 13:06:26

Obviously it wasn't so dark that nobody could see what the kids were doing. Playground equipment for two and four year olds is carefully designed with risks in mind, such as having soft surfaces below.

Without knowing more detail about what the kids were doing, and also whether the parents were keeping an eye on them, nobody can really say whether there were real safety issues.

And, quite apart from all that, of course it is not worth voicing your concerns. It is unreasonable to consider doing so unless you are solely in charge of the kids.

Hetty58 Mon 21-Dec-20 13:12:32

Marj60, just carry on keeping that mouth shut. Never expect others to follow your own rules - or behave as you would.

It can be argued that those overly concerned about safety do cause lasting damage to a child's development.

Constantly protecting them and discouraging their adventure/play with 'Careful, you might fall!' just tends to make them cautious and timid.

Coco51 Mon 21-Dec-20 13:19:17

I think the new Scandinavian ‘Forest Schools’ allow all weather activities and climbing etc. so that children can learn from their own experiences. Isn’t usually the case that the cautious molly-coddled child is the one that gets hurt?

Galaxy Mon 21-Dec-20 13:20:52

Yes coco lots of nursery age children out in all weathers, toasting marshmallows on real fires etc.

Summerlove Mon 21-Dec-20 13:21:37

Jane10

As I said 4 and 2. Pretty irresponsible to let such small children 'learn about bumps and scrapes'.

I completely disagree.
Perfect timing to help them grow and be brave.

Bumps and scrapes come from having fun.

Hetty58 Mon 21-Dec-20 13:23:59

The way we learnt about safety was by trial and error. Slipping, falling and sometimes getting hurt was just a part of childhood - and learning (a valuable one, too).