Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is it worth voicing my concern over safety?

(91 Posts)
Marj60 Mon 21-Dec-20 08:51:27

My son and daughter-in-law have a ‘whatever will be, will be’ attitude toward some situations. We were out the other night and they allowed their 4 and 2 year old children to play on very wet and slippery playground equipment in the dark. I am been accused of going overboard on safety concerns so I try to keep my mouth shut. Sure enough they both got hurt as a result of the wet conditions. I know my dil does not like my advice and I said nothing but I fear they will sustain a really serious injury some day. Any advice?

nadateturbe Mon 21-Dec-20 20:08:25

I just remembered, my son fell in the school playground when he was only four and knocked two front teeth out. He was in hospital overnight. Perhaps this has caused me to be anxious.

Callistemon Mon 21-Dec-20 21:03:02

At least they would have been his first teeth tchsmile

I can still remember knocking out my two front teeth (first teeth, thank goodness) when I was six on the Dodgers at the fair when someone bashed their car into mine.

I expect they have to wear helmets, elbow protectors and teeth guards these days.

Callistemon Mon 21-Dec-20 21:03:46

dodgems

Autocorrect doesn't like dodgems

Marthjolly1 Mon 21-Dec-20 21:12:34

yes happysexagenarian when they shout 'look granny, look at me' pleased as punch with their achievement I'm so pleased for them. And they are delighted to tell their mum all about it.

Kim19 Mon 21-Dec-20 21:13:49

Nope. Whilst the rearing of your GC is of much concern it is really none of your business unless they were being in some way abused. Guess you just have to zip it like many of us.

nadateturbe Mon 21-Dec-20 23:09:26

Oh Callistemon! That sounds awful. I still can't bear to think about my son's accident.
I must tell my daughter never to let my GC on dodgems grin

Callistemon Mon 21-Dec-20 23:31:37

I think someone gave me a hanky to mop up the blood, nadateturbe but I can't remember if I rescued the teeth for the tooth fairy.

Callistemon Mon 21-Dec-20 23:33:56

Ps and I do remember walking away when DGS was allowed on the dodgems as I was too anxious to watch!
He was fine, they're not allowed to be as rough these days.

timetogo2016 Tue 22-Dec-20 10:42:01

I agree Oopsadaisy1.
I worry more about my g/children than i did about my sons when they were little.
It`s what g/parents do best.

Florida12 Tue 22-Dec-20 11:56:27

If I reflect back we did much worse, and our park equipment was quite dangerous really. I know your grandchildren are very young and as a mum the antenna never has a day off. I can remember sliding down the stairs on a board with a mound of teddies as a buffer, mum didn’t know about this.

PaperMonster Tue 22-Dec-20 14:35:47

My daughter was a fabulous climber, fearless. And I just let her get on with it. She was great at working out how to get up and where to put her feet to get down. Then she spent an afternoon with Grandma in our local park when she was about 2. The big slide didn’t have steps, she had to climb up a bit of a frame - which she’d been doing for almost a year with no problems. But Grandma was scared of her doing this and her reaction to my daughter’s climbing knocked her confidence way more than any bumps and bruises did.

Buffy Tue 22-Dec-20 15:03:06

Much more difficult with a daughter-in-law than with a daughter’s children.

Granarchist Tue 22-Dec-20 15:05:19

my parents farmed - we were brought up surrounded by danger - climbing haystacks, playing hide and seek in the potato barn - riding ponies for miles and hours alone - the only break was my sister's arm when she fell off the sofa.
I was very proud of my DD who, when she found her stark naked 4yr old at the top of an apple tree, found time to take a photo before coaxing him back down. Having said that, when I was in charge and found my 2yr old GD at the top of a metal five bar gate with concrete underneath, I was very very worried and just quietly praised her for being so clever and then taught her how to come down safely - my heart was really in my mouth -but she shot up that gate so quickly when I was looking the other way!!

BlueSky Tue 22-Dec-20 20:57:00

When my DGC were little I was over cautious when in my care. When they were with their parents it was up to them to look after them, I never said anything, even if just the mention of a particular activity would make me panic straight away!

GreenGran78 Tue 22-Dec-20 22:42:51

My mum was very over-protective. Maybe because I was a ‘war baby’. As a result I didn’t get much experience of playing out with the other children, and was shy and awkward socially as a result.
My five were watched over until about the age of four, then slowly allowed more freedom. Toddlers were taught how to climb backwards down the stairs, etc. They grew up in the days when children spent most of the day playing out, and learned how to assess risks. Apart from a few minor accidents they coped well.
Now we mostly seem to live in a time of over-protected children, who are never allowed out of their parents sight, and have no chance to be adventurous. I find this very sad.
Allowing such young children to play in dark wet conditions isn’t very sensible, but GP have to learn to step back and keep quiet.