Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fresh food

(68 Posts)
Crazygran Tue 22-Dec-20 18:07:14

I really hope that the virus and Brexit make us realise that we should be eating produce when they are in season . When I grew up in 50’s we didn’t eat salad and fresh fruit at Christmas.

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 22:04:27

Casdon

No, I’m not keen to go back to the British diet of the fifties and sixties thanks.

Neither am I. It was boring and fairly disgusting.

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 22:06:11

Casdon

But - no chillis, peppers, avocados, tomatoes, aubergines etc. etc. in the winter, It was so dull compared with the modern diet. Not for nothing did the UK have the reputation of poor food. I don’t understand why anybody would want to reduce choice.

Don't forget olives!

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 22:08:05

vegansrock

Tinned fruit yuk - all that syrup, ghastly fruit cocktail with those horrible cherries. Salad was wet lettuce and a few tomatoes and a slice of cucumber if you were lucky. I can’t imagine today’s children getting nostalgic about that.

That may have been how salad was presented in your household vegan but in ours it was delicious and included
Non wet lettuce, crisp from the garden, radishes, cucumber,
Tomatoes and chopped spring onions.Always sliced boiled eggs as well in a dish and coleslaw.
Have made myself hungry now!

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 22:09:35

Also something you could make easily, Russian salad, which we loved and competed for from it’s small dish.

grandMattie Tue 22-Dec-20 22:12:42

When I first came to the UK in1972, from the tropics, I had to order my aubergine from the greengrocer. Olive oil was impossible to get... food has improved immeasurably but I don’t see the point of strawberries at Christmas as the English ones are so much nicer. Ditto asparagus out of season, etc.
A great number of salad vegetables are grown under glass in Britain, viz. Thanet Earth.

Grandma70s Tue 22-Dec-20 22:23:10

My mother made wonderful winter salads of shredded white cabbage, grated raw carrot (which is very juicy) and sultanas. There were probably other ingredients, but that’s what I remember. We positively never had soggy salads. In summer I particularly remember tomato salad of sliced peeled tomatoes with French dressing and chopped chives.

welbeck Tue 22-Dec-20 22:28:01

www.britishpathe.com/video/yes-we-have-some-bananas

the arrival of the first post-war banana in Bristol dock.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 22-Dec-20 22:36:00

I have grown chills all year round on kitchen windowsill for more years than I care to remember ???

MayBee70 Tue 22-Dec-20 23:16:49

There’s a new programme on Ch5 9 pm tomorrow night called Wartime Christmas (or something like that). Sounds like that excellent Back in time for series. We’ve been watching quite a lot of Ch5 programmes since we started flicking over to watch All Creatures Great and Small. Going back to the OP though we didn’t have a lot of variety, food wise in inner city Birmingham and the only thing we grew was marigolds in our window box. I’ve just ordered lots of freeze dried food to add to stews and smoothies. I’m trying to keep my vitamin intake up without having to go shopping.

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 23:23:21

Grandma70s

My mother made wonderful winter salads of shredded white cabbage, grated raw carrot (which is very juicy) and sultanas. There were probably other ingredients, but that’s what I remember. We positively never had soggy salads. In summer I particularly remember tomato salad of sliced peeled tomatoes with French dressing and chopped chives.

My mother used to make that too.
I've made coleslaw, similar to that, obviously, but without the sultanas.

The purple sprouting broccoli I planted ages ago hasn't sprouted anything yet but it does have plenty of leaves.

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 23:26:57

growstuff

Casdon

No, I’m not keen to go back to the British diet of the fifties and sixties thanks.

Neither am I. It was boring and fairly disgusting.

I feel sorry for some of you who had such boring, horrible food when you were young. Our food at home was excellent.
Apart from broad beans, there's always an exception grin

School dinners were another exception.

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 22-Dec-20 23:48:31

casadon You can’t grow chilies in the UK in the winter OK but you can freeze them and they are brilliant. I've done that for the past three years.
All the veg you mention can be frozen. Tomatoes and in particular aubergines are no different cooked from fresh than if you roast, freeze then use them in a dish later.

Gardening, and in particular growing veg, really took off during lockdown. I wonder what happened to all that produce. It would be good to hear people have carried on by growing winter veg.

My freezers are full and there are quite a few jars of tasty treats for winter and beyond on the shelf.

I know that not everyone has or perhaps even wants to turn their garden into a veg plot. However, there are a growing number of farm shops and markets.

My daughter, the one near Manchester, has a farm shop about 20 min drive away. Sell fresh caught fish too.

Teacheranne Tue 22-Dec-20 23:54:06

As always, there is an economic or geographical reason for different experiences of food. Brought up in the inner city of Manchester in the late 1950s and early 1960s, I remember going with my Grandma to a market at closing time on a Saturday to pick over the left over veg to get some for Sunday and to make soup with during the week. This was food that was waiting to go in the pig bin ( not actually in it!) so quite bruised and wilting. Add a small joint of fatty bacon and that was our meal for Sunday, I still remember retching at being forced to eat the soggy fat from the end of the joint! I refused to eat tripe but did enjoy a casserole of sheep’s heart and onions

I guess if we lived in the country and had a garden or allotment to grow fresh vegetables or if my father had a better paid job, my childhood recollections of the food we ate then would be better. I didn’t go hungry, my mum and grandma were very good cooks with what they had but the quality was not brilliant and certainly not very fresh.

My favourites pudding was Yorkshire puddings served with hot syrup - cheap and cheerful as my grandad worked at Trafford Docks and sometimes managed to “ find “ a tin of syrup - I think from the lorries destined for the Kellogg’s factory but that might just be a family myth!

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 23:56:34

Frozen tomatoes can't be eaten raw in a salad.

And what about olives?

The UK hasn't been self-sufficient in food for centuries. Sorry, but some people are living on a different planet.

Nell8 Wed 23-Dec-20 00:19:00

I grew some perpetual spinach in a trough this summer as part of my first attempt at veg self-sufficiency. It seems to be soldiering on - hence the name, I guess.

I've been wondering how I can use it creatively as a substitute for lettuce. It's probably too leathery now to eat raw. Also it's a bit ominous that none of my garden critters seem to fancy it!

What the heck, First World problems. Who needs lettuce anyway?

CanadianGran Wed 23-Dec-20 03:26:31

I would like to see a return to more local produce. It tends to have more flavour, but shorter shelf life. We had raspberries at home which were delicious, but you had to eat them within 2 days of being picked. The ones I purchase come from California or Mexico, and last quite long in the fridge, but don't have that delicious burst of taste!

There is a movement for the 100 mile diet, but it does indeed pose challenges (it would be impossible here since we are so far north), but many try to stay true to in in Vancouver and southern BC. It does take dedication , extra work to put food into storage, and knowledge of food storage. Most younger people have never tinned fruit, stored potatoes and apples in root cellars or smoked and dried fish or meats.

Knowledge and farming technology have improved, as have the vast variety of foods we eat. Climate change can bring some benefits to northern areas ability to grow foods not previously available.

I saw the long lineups of trucks on highways on the news, and fear you may have some fresh food shortages in January while gov't works out the supply chain for safety.

GagaJo Wed 23-Dec-20 07:34:35

My mum was always an adventurous cook. She bought little bottles of olive oil from the chemist to cook with. We ate a lot of 'foreign muck' when I was young. Goulash, paella, curries. Also a lot of freshly shot game and fish. I grew up being bored with pheasant and duck, and it wasn't until I was nanny for an aristocratic family in my late teens that I realised what I had eaten as a child was regarded as posh food.

GagaJo Wed 23-Dec-20 07:36:40

Nell8, you could get the spinich vitamins in by putting it into smoothies. When I have been post op and not wanted to eat healthy raw veg, I've had a raw smoothie a day to top up. The only thing that isn't good raw in a smoothie is beetroot. Tastes like dirt uncooked!

travelsafar Wed 23-Dec-20 07:55:43

I think if there are shortages of certain foods some enterprising Artisan will find an alternative here in the UK. More and more farmers are turning to producing fab cheeses, poly tunnels and climate change meanswe may be able to grow salad items during the winter and plenty of soft fruits. If not we will have to turn to different kinds of salads as mentioned on here, cabbage, carrots, onions etc. Where there is a way and with the knowledge we have i am sure people will be able to. smile

growstuff Wed 23-Dec-20 08:04:35

I do eat mainly fresh, home grown veg throughout the year. I have a miniscule garden, but I grow salad leaves, tomatoes, courgettes, beans and raspberries during the summer. I also have rhubarb and chard and some other crops. I also have a friend who is a commercial veg gardener and brings me a veg box every couple of weeks and another friend who gives me plums, apples, pears and walnuts from her trees. I'm only cooking for one, so it's not a problem. I don't think I could cater for a family, especially if I were working full-time and/or lived in a city/town.

However, it really is impossible to grow citrus fruit and veggies (fruit?) such as peppers and aubergines successfully without a greenhouse. I've never had much success with outdoor cucumbers either.

And olives! I eat loads of them plus olive oil. I have a small olive tree, but it only produces fruit like small and very hard peas. Olives and olive oil are only things I've stock-piled blush.

I could survive with what is available locally, but it would restrict what I eat and I certainly wouldn't choose a 1950s diet, especially as I don't eat potatoes.

growstuff Wed 23-Dec-20 08:05:50

travelsafar

I think if there are shortages of certain foods some enterprising Artisan will find an alternative here in the UK. More and more farmers are turning to producing fab cheeses, poly tunnels and climate change meanswe may be able to grow salad items during the winter and plenty of soft fruits. If not we will have to turn to different kinds of salads as mentioned on here, cabbage, carrots, onions etc. Where there is a way and with the knowledge we have i am sure people will be able to. smile

But how many would choose to make such changes? And for what? A blue passport?

GagaJo Wed 23-Dec-20 08:09:00

Exactly growstuff. All that guff about sovereignty when actually what we've done is turned ourselves into the untouchables. Doubly so with the mutated virus. The sick man of Europe. Much good my British passport is doing me now!

MamaCaz Wed 23-Dec-20 09:02:05

23:48WOODMOUSE49
You can’t grow chilies in the UK in the winter OK but you can freeze them and they are brilliant. I've done that for the past three years.

I can vouch for that - I froze lots of chillies three years ago from the two plants that I had grown, and am still using them.
Just as well they have kept so well, as my attempts to grow them since then have failed miserably!

I've only successfully managed to grow bell peppers (outdoors, sheltered yard) once, but since learning a couple of months ago that they also freeze very well, I have started doing that with any excess shop-bought ones, so have a few in the freezer now for emergency use.

I also freeze rhubarb and raspberries for year-round use, amongst other things.

The freezer is a wonderful invention ?

Redhead56 Wed 23-Dec-20 10:19:51

I grew up in Everton Liverpool we only got sprouts at Christmas never any other time strawberries only in the summer never got bananas or peppers.

We moved in 1962 to the farmland borders of Liverpool our dad grew veg and the hedgerows were full of goodies. Our meals always seemed to be stews or thick soups and in the summer we had salads. My mum couldn’t afford the chippy but occasionally my mum would buy Birds eye rissoles and fish fingers which we loved. It was a change from lamb neck soup roasted heart and everything else with over boiled cabbage. I still forage and cook old fashioned meals I don’t buy ready meals everything is made from scratch. I grow my own and pickle a lot which can be a hit and miss it’s my most favourite pastime. Looking forward to the new programme Wartime Christmas.

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 10:27:15

I've only successfully managed to grow bell peppers (outdoors, sheltered yard) once, but since learning a couple of months ago that they also freeze very well, I have started doing that with any excess shop-bought ones, so have a few in the freezer now for emergency use.

I've never managed to grow sweet peppers (capsicums) in this country, even in the greenhouse.

Ages ago I bought some sprouts out of season and then noticed when I unpacked them they were 'Produce of Australia'.
I usually try to buy British produce but it's not always possible.
That was a lot of food miles.