Gransnet forums

AIBU

Fresh food

(67 Posts)
Crazygran Tue 22-Dec-20 18:07:14

I really hope that the virus and Brexit make us realise that we should be eating produce when they are in season . When I grew up in 50’s we didn’t eat salad and fresh fruit at Christmas.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Dec-20 18:35:51

Yes, a few tangerines at Christmas, plus some ‘Eat Me’ dates.

Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, spring onions, radishes in the summer, often home grown.

Never heard of peppers, avocados, kiwi fruit, mangoes, passion fruit to name just a few.

kittylester Tue 22-Dec-20 18:46:44

But, it was boring! Sorry, I agree in principle but there was often the option for the exotic, at a price, which was a real treat.

Casdon Tue 22-Dec-20 18:51:36

No, I’m not keen to go back to the British diet of the fifties and sixties thanks.

PollyDolly Tue 22-Dec-20 18:52:32

I'm not a fan of foreign strawberries so we only have them in the summer, British crops and lots from our own garden. Same with raspberries too.
I agree on the salads in winter too but I do recall mum getting celery, but I could be mistaken.

Ilovecheese Tue 22-Dec-20 18:56:30

No, thank you. While I do think we should be doing more manufacturing in this country, I see no benefit or value in reducing variety in our diet.
Fresh fruit and different vegetables are now available all year round and that is a good thing for the health and wellbeing of us all.
I just wish that all our citizens and particularly our children were able to afford it, without recourse to charity.
What on earth is the point of deliberately restricting our diet for the sake of it. Just silly.

EllanVannin Tue 22-Dec-20 19:22:24

I don't remember any shortage of fruit and I was born in 1940. We had bananas, apples, oranges and tangerines-----not mass produced then and certainly better quality than now. In fact everything was better quality with far more taste to it.

I'm sure many will join me in saying that we suffered few ills given the difference in diets of then and now.

People grew their own produce, including salads. I don't remember being deprived of anything as regards food in the 1940's . It was mainly fresh food as there was no frozen stuff and the only tins we had in the pantry were those of fruit, beans and processed peas.

My own diet hasn't changed much over the years, replicating meals from my former years. I wouldn't thank you for fancy restaurant food.

Elegran Tue 22-Dec-20 19:43:42

Not bananas for many years, EllenVannin When they first reappeared, many (well, some) people didn't know you had to peel them and bit into them whole - then couldn't understand why they had been so eagerly awaited.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ngEwqoP5A

Retiredwell Tue 22-Dec-20 20:00:33

EllanVannin, regarding your post at
19:22, I am not aware of in which country you live but here in Britain throughout the 1940s and into the 1950s and many other countries through Europe, there was severe food shortages due to the continuation of wartime rationing.

I was born in 1943 and can well remember my mother wondering how she could create a meal for the four of us with what coupons she had left in her ration books. It was not a case of what you would wish to have but more a case of what would be available to have in the shops even if you have the coupons.

varian Tue 22-Dec-20 20:02:31

Surely going back to the 1950s was what the brexit vote was all about?

Grandma70s Tue 22-Dec-20 20:17:40

My father grew our fruit and vegetables in the 1940s and 50s. We had apple trees (I remember picking an apple in the morning for the mid-morning break at school), and a pear tree with hard fruit that needed to be cooked. We had lovely raspberries. I don’t remember having bananas when I was child.

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 20:23:29

Growing up in the 50’s we always had a fruit bowl as did all the relatives, full of apples, pears, oranges and bananas, no shortages then. In Summer, blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries and raspberries grown in the garden, and a rhubarb patch.One Grandfather even had a vine in the greenhouse.
With all that fruity largesse, my favourite thing was tinned pears?

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 20:24:27

Perhaps eating what is in season in the climate where we live might be better for us.

Just a thought.

Callistemon Tue 22-Dec-20 20:26:39

With all that fruity largesse, my favourite thing was tinned pears

We always had tinned fruit, didn't we! I liked peaches best.
With evaporated milk.

"That's Australian Gold, my friend, and don't you forget it"

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 22-Dec-20 20:34:25

We still bring fruit and tomatoes, cucumbers in from South Africa.

Don’t forget we had the Banana boats coming into Southampton Docks in the 1950s.

janeainsworth Tue 22-Dec-20 20:35:08

Elegran is right ev. The import of bananas was actually banned in 1940.
“ On November 9, 1940, the Minister of Food, Lord Woolton, ordered a complete ban on the import of bananas. The tropical fruit had to be transported in refrigerated ships, which were needed for the war effort. The sudden dearth of soft, sweet tropical fruit was a devastating blow to Britons. Wartime songs memorialized the elusive banana. Dance hall favorite Harry Roy belted out “When Can I Have a Banana Again?,” London’s Tin Pan Alley endlessly covered the American revue hit “Yes We Have No Bananas,” and the novelty song “I’ve Never Seen a Straight Banana” got regular airplay”
From www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.atlasobscura.com/articles/banana-substitute.amp
Hunter Davies entitled his memoir of growing up in Carlisle in the 40’s “The Co-op’s got Bananas’ - it was such a momentous event.

Casdon Tue 22-Dec-20 20:35:29

But - no chillis, peppers, avocados, tomatoes, aubergines etc. etc. in the winter, It was so dull compared with the modern diet. Not for nothing did the UK have the reputation of poor food. I don’t understand why anybody would want to reduce choice.

petra Tue 22-Dec-20 20:36:06

Ilovecheese
Fresh fruit and different vegetables are now available etc etc
Yes, your right. But at the cost of cheap labour and inhumane living conditions and no workers rights, no health care.
And that's just a 2/12 hour flight from the uk.

lemongrove Tue 22-Dec-20 20:38:06

Spain?

petra Tue 22-Dec-20 20:50:10

Some of you on here obviously missed the announcement that the uk have signed a tariff free trade deal with Mexico the worlds largest producer of Avocados.
You can grow your own chillies in this country. I would suggest that some educate themselves with the 'new' technology of growing salads in underground hydroponic plants.

Jaxjacky Tue 22-Dec-20 21:04:42

I’ve always tended to cook using seasonal fruit and veg, mainly because of the weather, winter suits more comfort foods, root veg etc. I freeze a bit of summer veg, green beans, runners, ratatouille, my Mum used to bottle tomatoes and plums. But I like having the option of a healthier diet, it’s balance and I certainly wouldn’t want to go back to the 50’s for anything.

Casdon Tue 22-Dec-20 21:18:13

Petra there’s no need to be patronising. You can’t grow chilies in the UK in the winter - and it’s ridiculous to suggest importing avocados from Mexico is better for the environment - some of us do indeed need to educate ourselves. I’m hoping to get a grow light for Christmas to grow my own salads.

vegansrock Tue 22-Dec-20 21:24:51

Tinned fruit yuk - all that syrup, ghastly fruit cocktail with those horrible cherries. Salad was wet lettuce and a few tomatoes and a slice of cucumber if you were lucky. I can’t imagine today’s children getting nostalgic about that.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 22-Dec-20 21:54:35

Tinned fruit comes in its own unsweetened fruit juice as well, no added sugar syrup unless you want it.

growstuff Tue 22-Dec-20 22:02:59

Elegran

Not bananas for many years, EllenVannin When they first reappeared, many (well, some) people didn't know you had to peel them and bit into them whole - then couldn't understand why they had been so eagerly awaited.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1ngEwqoP5A

Exactly!

Rationing continued for years after the end of WW2. Attlee arranged a special one-off delivery of bananas in 1946 to boost morale.