Gransnet forums

AIBU

Attendance Allowance fraud?

(68 Posts)
Nonogran Sun 24-Jan-21 20:33:10

Am I being unreasonable to expect that someone I know is being paid Attendance Allowance but is not, in any shape or form using it for its intended purpose?
This person really does need help in the house, lives in not exactly squalor but very dirty, disorganised and unhygienic conditions.
This person claims that after he's created some "order" himself he will engage external help, presumably with AA benefit. However, he has been procrastinating for months and it looks unlikely the help will ever materialise.
Am I being unreasonable to see that tax payers money is being spent elsewhere & not what its intended for?
Does this amount to fraud? I have no experience of these matters.

nexus63 Sun 24-Jan-21 22:49:36

my partner who lives in is own house and only stays with me at the weekend has been diagnosed with heart failure, he has been told by his cardiac nurse to put in for AA but he can manage in the house just can't walk very far unless he takes a taxi, she said he can use it for anything he likes including taxis, fares for his daughter to come during the week with shopping or his grandsons bus fare for him.
it really is none of anybody elses business what he spends it on and is not for you to judge.

glammanana Sun 24-Jan-21 22:57:31

NanagranThere are such a lot people who have invisable disabilities such as heart disease/cancers/arthritis etc can you be sure your neighbour does not come under this banner,the poor man may be embarressed and coping as best he can on his own where is your empathy.

welbeck Sun 24-Jan-21 23:06:32

some comments on here surprise me; more the sort of thing seen on MN.
the hidden extra costs of living with a disability are many and various.
and if the OP had simply googled AA she/he would have learned that it can be spent however suits the recipient, rather thn accusing him of fraud with no evidence whatsoever.
the person probably paid far more in taxes/NI than he will ever receive in AA.
i also have paid these for many years and am happy for it to go to those who are judged to need it, for them to use however they wish.

GrannySomerset Sun 24-Jan-21 23:08:27

DH receives the higher level of AA. I meet his care needs, with increasing difficulty, and paying for a cleaner and gardener takes some of the load off me. Seriously thinking about Netflix too, and if life ever gets more normal would like someone to care for him occasionally to give me a break. If I go under we are in terrible trouble, so using the AA to try to prevent that seems sensible. Don’t suppose Nonogran would approve of this way of thinking either.

lemsip Mon 25-Jan-21 00:10:32

if people willingly volunteer to help a person then they shouldnt complain that they don't get paid! village dogooders who have a rota as commenter says they do. should mind there own business not talk about the person they say they help.

the person can afford to pay for help and for taxis to take them wherever they need to go.

Chewbacca Mon 25-Jan-21 00:24:52

''According to Citizens’ Advice ‘If you get Attendance Allowance, you can spend the money however you like.” Absolutely they can spend it on whatever they wish because, as has been pointed out by several previous posters, it is not a means tested benefit.

then just give it to everybody then, for tipple, nails, bingo, whatever If that's what gives them pleasure, what's wrong with that biba? Those who are eligible to receive Attendance Allowance have a life limiting medical condition that inhibits them from living their life to its fullest. So if they decide to spend their money on having their nails done, a bottle of whisky or a lovely relaxing 1 and a half hour massage, what of it? Having a beauty treatment is, as we all know, beneficial for the body and soul. Would you deny them that?

Chewbacca Mon 25-Jan-21 00:27:42

A friend of mine uses her Attendance Allowance to path for a gardener to come in and help her. Her garden is her pride and joy and gives her a huge amount of pleasure. Because she's so ill, she no longer has the physical strength to do it herself. Money well spent in my opinion.

lemsip Mon 25-Jan-21 00:58:20

as people get more infirm they are able to pay for carers to come in and people to shop etc.
the jobs Home Helps employed by social services used to do. before being axed ..

nadateturbe Mon 25-Jan-21 01:25:45

I get where Ninogran is coming from. If an allowance is paid for help with personal care one would expect it would have to be used for that. And that's why she thought it was fraud. And if it was fraud it would be the taxpayers business.
But it can actually be used for any purpose.
There is no benefit for over 65s to claim for help apart from AA and that is the problem. If you have been receiving DLA you can continue to get it once you reach 65 but you can't claim it after 65. Which is utterly ridiculous and discriminatory. So good luck to anyone who needs help and qualifies for this small benefit.

GrannyRose15 Mon 25-Jan-21 01:57:39

I too find it strange that it is not means tested and can be used for whatever you like. I wasn't aware of that. I think the OP only wanted to know. And if you think a fraud has been perpetrated on the government ( i.e us ) then yes it is your business. Only sometimes people get it wrong. OP doesn't deserve to be castigated for asking the question. Now she has the answer she doesn't need to worry. And we are all a bit wiser.

growstuff Mon 25-Jan-21 02:15:39

biba70

of course- but all the same, makes no sense for it not to have to pay for support- which the many forms filled prove it is required for good reasons. If it is not for support to help with the said reasons, carefully stated and confirmed by doctor- then just give it to everybody then, for tipple, nails, bingo, whatever. I would never report someone, but it makes no sense.

AA is awarded if a person can't cope with looking after themselves independently or has mobility needs. The only fraud would be if the person has lied about his/her needs.

If, for example, a person has mobility needs but has a kind friend or relative who provides a taxi service for free, why shouldn't the person use the money to pay for a treat or two?

It's not defrauding the taxpayer because he/she could use it legitimately to pay for taxis. It's a way of supporting those with disabilities and - goodness knows - they get little enough help. Means testing AA would not only cause admin costs, but would mean those just over any threshold would lose out - as they do so often.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 25-Jan-21 06:35:22

lemsip nobody was complaining in the Village, the Church ladies provided the care willingly,
Without Village ‘do gooders’ the lady would have been in a home, so no need to make snide remarks.
Maybe if the son hadn’t bragged whilst he was in the pub that he was spending his mother’s allowance, nothing would have been said. As it was they all sighed and just carried on helping her.

kittylester Mon 25-Jan-21 06:51:37

It can also be used to buy convenience foods based or meals on wheels.

M0nica Mon 25-Jan-21 07:01:57

In all the years I acted as a Benefits Advisor, I never came across any fraud.

AA goes nowhere towards paying for the kind of help people need, which for many is somone standing outside their door all day, waiting to come in at a second's notice to give the help they need. If they spend it all on a carer it will barely buy half an hour's care in total - that is if you can find a carer, they can be as rare as hen's teeth.

The other point many are ignoring is that AA is given to support mental care as well as physical and many of the things that some posters are being so censorious about are activities that support the mental health of the recipient.

I had a client living alone who could not leave the house except by taxi. She got out once a week to meet other people at a social club, except if she had a medical appointment, and had a taxi, she couldn't afford a taxi for the social group as well - as her medical appointments became more regular, and she rarely got to the social club she was getting lonely and depressed. AA meant she could have 2 or 3 taxis a week and keep her limited social contact.

AA cannot alleviate pain, cannot help someone renew their previous life, cannot pay for the amount of care someone actuaally needs, but it can provide little comforts and pleasures that help alleviate the painful, lonely and limited life many disabled people live.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 08:40:03

Monica, an excellent post! There are posters here, who have no conception of living with disability or chronic illness. As as been said, many disabilities are hidden.

Let me give you a couple of examples. Yesterday, it took two me two hours to wash and dry my hair, due to my RA and heart failure. I was exhausted. Attendance allowance or PIP could have paid for a visit to the hairdresser.
I can't cut my toenails, DH does it ( badly). He often nicks my toes and as I'm on blood thinners, its not a good scenario. ? Attendance allowance could fund a trip to a podiatrist, if it was allowed.

Both would have been beneficial for both my physical and mental health. Walk in my shoes, as they say.

Galaxy Mon 25-Jan-21 08:44:17

Thankyou Monica and Marydoll. I dont think we should be making the lives of those with disabilities more stressful by making judgements about them. Or just being nosy about them.
I do worry about the unintended consequences of this pandemic for example, the whole 'why arent they wearing a mask' etc. A demanding to know why people are exempt etc. I worry about the culture we may create and it will be people will disabilities who will be at the sharp end of it.

nadateturbe Mon 25-Jan-21 08:46:05

Many disabled people over 65 need help but can't claim AA as they don't need help with personal care and therefore don't qualify for this allowance.
Why can't over 65s claim PIP? That in my opinion is a major problem. Especially as retirement age has risen.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 08:56:49

Natatertube, I do agree with you.

My brother in law had heart failure, kidney cancer and was on dyalisis and wouldn't claim, as he felt it wasn't morally the right thing to do.

He couldn't walk, but his car was falling to pieces and he couldn't afford to buy a new one. He would have qualified for full PIP, which would enable him to have a car for hospital appointments.
Eventually we persuaded him to apply just before his 65th birthday. His award letterr arrived, the day after he died!.

nadateturbe Mon 25-Jan-21 08:57:16

Sorry I've just seen that you can claim PIP until you reach retirement age.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 09:03:42

It must have changed nadertube, it was 65.

pensionpat Mon 25-Jan-21 09:09:07

The age limits for PiP and AA are the same as the lowest State Pension age was once upon a time. My theory was always that once someone retired they did not go to work and contribute to the economy. Therefore mobility was not considered for AA.

Before I retired from DWP they introduced something called Direct Payments. It was discretionary, and could be claimed for any reasonable reason. For example I met people who had been given it to buy a greenhouse. I was at a workshop with Age Concern to discuss how things were going and a customer was quoted. He had made an unusual claim. It had gone to the highest level to be decided on. The result was that people are entitled to claim for the kind of things that was their normal lifestyle. So I know that at that time, in that city, you could pay for a prostitute for £15. And pay for her/him for £15. And a Direct Payment would be paid.

Kalu Mon 25-Jan-21 09:16:25

What doesn’t make sense to me is that anyone would begrudge or judge those with disabilities, an allowance which would make their lives easier to bear, no matter what the recipient decides to use the money for. Only the recipient knows what their needs are.

Marydoll Mon 25-Jan-21 09:32:48

I was reading the OP again and think that the recipient of the PIP, sounds like my mother, who lived in a dirty house, but would not allow me or any carers to touch it. In my opinion, the recipient needs support and compassion, more than anything else.

nadateturbe Mon 25-Jan-21 09:50:05

My theory was always that once someone retired they did not go to work and contribute to the economy. Therefore mobility was not considered for AA.

So disabled pensioners don't need to get out?
Many would be housebound without their cars. They have contributed to the economy during their working life.

The attacged shows the only criteria for which disabled pensioners can claim help. According to this all they need to do is wash dress and take medication. They don't need to shop cook or have a social life.

Callistemon Mon 25-Jan-21 09:54:54

then just give it to everybody then, for tipple, nails, bingo, whatever
shock
I can't believe I read that!

I agree with most (not all) posters on here.
Nonogran you obviously know this person well enough to know about his financial and household affairs and he has obviously qualified for Attendance Allowance as it is not given out without good reason as others point out.

As you describe this person, he has some difficulties with everyday tasks but realises he needs to clear his house and take better care of himself but is unable, whether for physical or mental health reasons, to do so.

It could be used to help him do this but he is possibly embarrassed by the mess he finds himself in but can't find the energy or will to do anything about it.

At present, you must know it is difficult or impossible to find carers or anyone to come in and clean.
I feel sorry for him, he sounds overwhelmed and unable to cope. Would you have offered to help under normal circumstances?

It's up to him how he spends the money to which he is entitled; for all you know he may be saving it for when he is able to get cleaners in and can pay for some personal care too.