Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder why people don’t read the thread

(114 Posts)
Lucca Sat 30-Jan-21 11:37:11

Ok so I probably am BU. I just don’t understand how it happens. Do posters literally read the original post and reply without reading ANY other posts ? I’ve seen some threads where OP has returned several times to say the issue is sorted but posters still keep posting ! I’ve heard the excuse of not having time to read the thread but in that case why are you spending time on GN at all ??

Baggs Sat 30-Jan-21 14:32:12

Why is repeating what's been said before a bad thing? I cannot be the only gransnetter to be totally unperturbed by someone saying the same as I've said. I don't understand why that bothers people.

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Jan-21 14:49:26

Me neither, Baggs. In fact I started a thread last year asking GNHQ to let us have all OP comments highlighted in green, as happens on Mumsnet. The fact that people keep repeating the request is great. Perhaps one day GNHQ might listen!

TerriBull Sat 30-Jan-21 14:50:23

Baggs has made some good points, sometimes threads meander and digress and throw up similar problems, where posters may respond to those. I think that's the nature of public forums and it's not like a meeting where issues have to be discussed within a time frame. Although having said that I don't disagree with the OP either, of course if a thread is very long it's often too time consuming to go through the whole lot, and if you don't, sometimes salient points will be missed.

That's me though, I like to sit on the fence!

Bathsheba Sat 30-Jan-21 14:53:46

It happens on all SM. I always chuckle on Facebook when someone posts a picture of something, asking "anyone know what this is? I found it when sorting out my late mother's house." Immediately someone will answer saying "it's an 'xyz' ", followed by someone else saying exactly the same. The OP will thank them, "Ah yes of course, thanks!". Which is followed by 20 or 30 people all saying "it's an 'xyz' " grin

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Jan-21 14:57:31

Or it’s an abc. There’s always one. grin

sodapop Sat 30-Jan-21 14:57:59

The OP posts are all highlighted in green for me and mine in pink/purple. Why can't this be done on both mobile and desktop sites,

sodapop Sat 30-Jan-21 15:00:13

Then the game could be endlessly repetitive Kim19

Jaxjacky Sat 30-Jan-21 15:01:29

I’ve been guilty recently of not properly reading the OP, once. My own fault for speed reading, I’m trying to slow down, but I do try and skim the whole thread.

Doodledog Sat 30-Jan-21 15:06:11

Of course no-one "is meant to" bring others up to speed. It's a simple choice. Bring people up to speed if you want to; don't if you don't want to.

Which is what we all do (or don't do). There is nothing stopping people thinking it's rude, though, or starting a thread to say so - as you say, you can't chair Gransnet.

Vickysponge Sat 30-Jan-21 15:06:57

Baggs

Why is repeating what's been said before a bad thing? I cannot be the only gransnetter to be totally unperturbed by someone saying the same as I've said. I don't understand why that bothers people.

Couldn’t agree more. What does it matter.

Daddima Sat 30-Jan-21 15:10:58

Riverwalk

Never mind reading the whole thread, some people don't even read the original post properly!

For example 'my 13 year old granddaughter is blah blah'....

Someone will then ask 'how old is your GD?' grin

Some threads are very long so it's inevitable that things move on, and posters don't have time to read the whole thing.

I agree with Riverwalk and felice that it’s not just not taking time to read all posts, but original posts too. To me, it gives the impression of not being listened to, when, as well as the examples above, replies don’t reflect the original question. It’s not very helpful to someone who may be needing a wee bit of support.

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Jan-21 15:12:37

sodapop

The OP posts are all highlighted in green for me and mine in pink/purple. Why can't this be done on both mobile and desktop sites,

So you’re seeing all Lucca’s comments highlighted, sodapop? That doesn’t happen for me on my iPhone or on my desktop. confused

sodapop Sat 30-Jan-21 15:28:00

Yes that's right Maggiemaybe does make things a bit easier.

LauraNorder Sat 30-Jan-21 15:30:22

Yes I have read the whole thread.
Yes I do find it irritating when issues are resolved, the original posters says thank you and yet the repetitive advice and goes on and on,
Yes I find it beyond irritating when the original post has only been skimmed as in a previous example of ‘my child is 13’ followed by ‘how old is the child’.
Yes I am grumpy.

Baggs Sat 30-Jan-21 15:30:39

Doodledog

*Of course no-one "is meant to" bring others up to speed. It's a simple choice. Bring people up to speed if you want to; don't if you don't want to.*

Which is what we all do (or don't do). There is nothing stopping people thinking it's rude, though, or starting a thread to say so - as you say, you can't chair Gransnet.

Haha! Neat, doodledog.

Except no-one is trying to chair this thread. People are just discussing the issue brought up by the OP smile

Elegran Sat 30-Jan-21 15:39:08

Baggs When I said that the perhaps the OP could close down a discussion once they feel they have enough advice, I meant they could do it via GNHQ. They could cap it at the length it had reached. True, there would be some disappointed would-be posters complaining that they were being discriminated against by not getting in their two-pennorth, but that would be nothing new.

muse Sat 30-Jan-21 16:13:47

I always read the opening post but wonder what I'm doing wrong when I preview what I type before posting it but then go back to reread the OP or someone's comment only to find my comment has disappeared before I can post it. angry

I've started to copy and paste my comment now, when I remember.

Lucca Does the 'set up' of GN ever change?

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of Facebook, it is so much more user friendly than GN.
You can edit your comments (as much as you want) and even delete them.
You can hide comments.
You can close a post you have created.
You can like, love etc
OP comments have "author" at the side of their comments.
It's easier to put smileys on + there's more choice.

Maggiemaybe Sat 30-Jan-21 16:22:29

sodapop

Yes that's right Maggiemaybe does make things a bit easier.

Wow, it’s not fair, I want that (stamps foot)! I’m going to have to put in a complaint to GNHQ about this. grin

Alternatively, can anyone tell me where I’m going wrong?

Blossoming Sat 30-Jan-21 16:27:43

Maggiemaybe

sodapop

So you’re seeing all Lucca’s comments highlighted, sodapop? That doesn’t happen for me on my iPhone or on my desktop. confused

It’s only the first post that’s highlighted in green, Lucca’s later comments aren’t.

SuzannahM Sat 30-Jan-21 16:40:28

The only time it bothers me is if there are continuous posts castigating the original poster for something that was said in the opening post that has since been explained.

At that point I hope the OP never returns to the thread - but then someone would start suggesting the OP had disappeared and it was probably all a scam.

Gotta laugh.

Sparkling Sat 30-Jan-21 16:48:48

I have been reprimanded several times for not reading pages and pages of comments. If it is a subject that is of interest to me I cannot surf through every comment, I read the original post and perhaps the last two pages, then make my point, only to be reprimanded by someone that has known the poster for ages and ages and some aspect of their personal history that has been mentioned on another thread. I haven’t enough hours in the day and choose what subjects I like.

Blossoming Sat 30-Jan-21 17:08:31

I do read threads I’m interested in and may reply to. However, it takes me so long to compose my comments that by the time I post it 2 or 3 others may have said the same thing before me grin

Luckygirl Sat 30-Jan-21 17:17:45

I sometimes do this as I have vestibular migraine and scrolling down computer screens can trigger it.

sodapop Sat 30-Jan-21 18:00:55

Yes Blossoming I see the OP and all their subsequent posts highlighted in green and mine in pink.

I do love a good tantrum Maggiemaybe grin

Blossoming Sat 30-Jan-21 18:02:58

Sodapop you must have special Gransnet privileges grin