Gransnet forums

AIBU

"Sweet"

(146 Posts)
ninathenana Wed 17-Mar-21 11:31:36

I've just had an ex offender trying to sell me goods at the door.
Good that he's trying to make a living but he really raised my hackles by calling me sweet. I said can you not call me that. Oh, it's just another way of saying mate. It's what people say these days, like I'm some old fogey who wouldn't understand.
I wouldn't have been happy with dear or love either. Needless to say I didn't buy anything. Though I have in the past.
Am I being an old fogey ?

Chewbacca Thu 18-Mar-21 10:48:12

JdotJ

Many many years ago I opened the door to a lady who 'tried' to sell me some artwork she said she had painted. She would not leave and said she was trying to make a living so I said, 'so am I', grabbed an air freshener which happened to be on the hall windowsill and asked if she would like to buy it. I kept on and on talking and goading her saying what good quality it was etc and the fact that she had come on to my property meant she was trespassing whereas I could sell what I wanted from my house.
She soon scurried off.

You sound delightful

greenlady102 Thu 18-Mar-21 10:48:16

grandMattie

Beware!+ A policeman told my WI that these "ex-offenders" are nothing of the sort. They are part of the scammers/slavers who sell you rubbinsh at an exorbitant price. Watch out - "sweet" or not!

Yes, important point being missed here...the "ex offenders" "students" "unemployed and needing help"..."single parents" are ALL scammers.

Nannapat1 Thu 18-Mar-21 10:48:23

I'd more concerned about the supposed ex offender being part of a scam and also any cold caller knocking at the door during this lockdown, than any colloquial term he might address me by!

Shirlb Thu 18-Mar-21 10:49:00

Thought cold calling was illegal got sticker on door saying report any?

inishowen Thu 18-Mar-21 10:49:52

I thought cold callers were not allowed at the moment. I have a sticker on my door. Before covid a religious group rang the bell. I pointed to the sticker and the woman said "that doesn't apply to religious groups"! I couldn't believe her cheek. Back to the OP, I hate being called dear or love, but sweet is sweet.

Annaram1 Thu 18-Mar-21 10:50:45

One of those "ex offenders" called on me recently. He seemed a very nice young man. I am gullible and believed every word.
Just to help him on his way I bought a pair of kitchen scissors and an ironing board cover. Paid him £40 by cheque as I had no cash. I knew it was expensive but I believed he was trying to rehabilitate himself. Later I heard that the same man had been very rude to a neighbour down the road and had been abusive. What to do? If you buy they think you are a soft touch. If you don't they may verbally abuse you. In either case they may sell your address to a crook who may burgle you. I am buying a door camera which will allow me to see who is at the door. I may also by a door chain. Another neighbour told me that the local facebook was warning against these people. Beware.

henetha Thu 18-Mar-21 10:52:09

I don't like cold callers, but I don't mind what people call me.
I'm just pleased to be called anything as at my age most people just ignore me.

Suziemarie Thu 18-Mar-21 10:52:14

With the pandemic I'd be furious if anyone was cold calling at my door at the moment.
And I definitely hate when someone I don't know is over familiar.

SueLindsey Thu 18-Mar-21 10:52:55

I was speaking to the water company about a problem recently and their bloke kept saying "Ah bless" which I found rather patronising but my daughter tells me that she says she says it to her elderly service users and I shouldn't be insulted! As my flat door is at the side of the house I thankfully miss out on people trying to sell me things.

LovelyLady Thu 18-Mar-21 10:53:19

It’s what’s someones intentions are that count.
My irritation is ‘mate’ and being called ‘mam’. It’s just me not them.
Think if someone comes to the door selling they are pretty desperate - without some precious house hold asking not to be called ‘sweet’ I’m sure you have been called much worse. Can you imagine if we were desperate enough to do door stop selling.
I put myself in the other persons shoes.
Just my opinion ?

jacquifuller Thu 18-Mar-21 10:53:35

Yes that’s right - also if you google “Nottingham Knockers” you’ll see there is a national network of them and it’s all about scoping out people’s homes for a potential burglary. And I used to think they were just sweet boys who needed a helping hand?

Riggie Thu 18-Mar-21 10:57:40

inishowen

I thought cold callers were not allowed at the moment. I have a sticker on my door. Before covid a religious group rang the bell. I pointed to the sticker and the woman said "that doesn't apply to religious groups"! I couldn't believe her cheek. Back to the OP, I hate being called dear or love, but sweet is sweet.

When we mkved here we "inherited" a fancy plastic plaque on tje front door saying no salespeople etc. They still used tonring the bell and insist on telling me why the notice didn't apply to them. We didnt bother replacing it when we changed the front door.

janeainsworth Thu 18-Mar-21 10:58:37

I wouldn't be too chuffed if someone on my doorstep introduced themself as an 'ex-offender' either!
Well I applaud them for their honesty and their willingness to try to change themselves.
I usually buy something from them even though I know the prices are inflated.
I just remind myself that someone is their mother or grandmother.

nipsmum Thu 18-Mar-21 11:00:41

I had someone selling a couple of years ago. He got quite aggressive and I bought something just to get rid of him. He was later arrested by police for not having the proper licence. I was told to ask to see their licence if they cold call. Its very rare here that we get cold callers.Even the religious groups don't come.

Jillybird Thu 18-Mar-21 11:03:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bijou Thu 18-Mar-21 11:05:21

I have a No cold callers sticker on my door.

Sherry1 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:05:28

Personally I wouldn't mind. It's a friendly term not a personal one. Besides I've been called far worse ;)

Tempest Thu 18-Mar-21 11:05:32

I see nothing wrong with being called sweet. Sour maybe.

Authoress Thu 18-Mar-21 11:05:40

I volunteer behind the bar at the local pub (in normal times!) and count the number of times per shift someone calls me something irritating. The locals generally see me as a person and call me by name, but visitors will often try "dearie" or "ducks". Grrr! (To be fair, I'm not sure what they could call me, but trust me, I do not look like a dearie smile )

SparklyGrandma Thu 18-Mar-21 11:05:47

I had a cold caller a few years ago, selling tea towels and sponges, dusters etc. He did the spiel saying ‘We are raising money as we the council are building a homeless hostel around the corner’. He was young, so taking pity on him as I worked at the council, I said ‘ It’s your lucky day mate, I work for the council and we would not send people out going door to door. Be a bit clever and quickly scarper, leave this street. Hang around or call at any more doors where I can see you and you won’t be so lucky’.
He left sharpish.

Nanananana1 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:05:54

In our last house I was 'disturbed' to have my sunbathing interrupted by a man standing in my garden saying as he couldn't get an answer at my front door so he had 'popped round'. He was a Jehovah's witness (he said, though I thought they hunted in pairs). I was so incensed (and embarrassed and a little bit afraid) I have him my best 'clear off' language and chased him down the driveway! JW's never called at our house again

Moggycuddler Thu 18-Mar-21 11:09:42

I don't buy things at the door. But as for the "sweet", it's not a thing that bothers me. I am northern and almost everyone (except very young people) calls other people "love". Just a way of being friendly and less formal.

LinkyPinky Thu 18-Mar-21 11:16:19

Here in the West Country, complete strangers call you ‘my lover’. Took some getting used to, but I like it. I don’t mind any of those sort of expressions. I find them friendly, rather than patronising. The English are handicapped by not having a neutral but polite, and not too formal way of addressing strangers, such as ‘ma’am’ or ‘miss’, and ‘mate’ is rarely appropriate for people you don’t know, especially not for women. ‘Madam’ is pretty much obsolete, and ‘missus’ sounds like something from a fifties soap opera.

Danma Thu 18-Mar-21 11:18:53

What gets me when said by strangers is “MY darling, MY love” etc.
I’m not YOUR anything ?

grandtanteJE65 Thu 18-Mar-21 11:21:07

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all.

It is one thing for a person you are fond of to use a term like love or sweet, something quite different for a stranger to do so.