Gransnet forums

AIBU

Updating will

(60 Posts)
Chookcook Wed 07-Apr-21 18:43:46

Hi, I just want to know AIBU. I don't think I am because things change over the years but I'd appreciate others views. This is a very long post I do apologise

My dh and I met in our teens and were on and off until we got into our 40s.
He was a very troubled man and very violent towards me, not the best dad to our two daughters and abused hard drugs and alcohol. I made sure my dd's did not notice this and I protected them throughout our many breakups, marriage, divorce and marriage again.

Fast forward until we were in our 40s my dd1 had a dd of her own who I doted on. DH who had been gone for a few years came back when dd was pregnant and informed me his mother had added him as a sole beneficiary to her will. We decided to stay together and got married as we'd been divorced. I did this because I thought my dd's and gd would benefit from the money in the future.

My dh and dd's just could not rub along together and in the end, because oh DH heavy drinking and aggressive behaviour both dds left our lives I was devastated not to see my gd and missed her terribly.

When dd2 came to collect her stuff there was an awful row dh said that anybody would have thought he'd sexually abused her the way she was behaving and then he said perhaps he should have done. She blew this out of all proportion as he didn't mean it like that and my friend who was there also said he didn't mean it like that.

I never saw either dd or GC again and that was 20 years ago. I kept them in my will and stayed in an unhappy relationship with a drunk waiting for the day his mother died so we could get money to help my dd's if needed.

I have s large family and when they were in contact with my dd's they would come back and give news and photos to me. I gave them gifts to hand to gd with secret letters inside she could read without her mum knowing but these started coming back and soon my dd's lost contact with all of their aunts uncles and cousins. Our family grew closer than they ever were and my gd has missed out on this.
Dd2 got married and had children and I wasn't involved. I haven't even seen my gc from her. Despite this I stayed with DH for them.

When DH mum died he died shortly after and I now have all of the money, although I've lived on most if it and now work in a lovely job that I really enjoy.

Sadly my brother and his wife died in 2019 within a few weeks of eachother and left their two dd's and 4 GC with no parents/grandparents.

I have become very close to my nieces and their children. I am closer to them than I ever was to my own dd's and I have plenty of wonderful contact with their children, I feel like their real gran.

As my two dd's have got on with their lives and won't have any contact with me would it be unreasonable to take them out of the will and put my nieces in their place.

My other siblings say it is lovely that I am now being given the opportunity to be a real gp just like them after missing out all those years. They say I shouldn't begrudge myself a little bit of happiness after all I've been through.

I put up with an awful life and an unloving marriage for my dd's but they have moved on should I move on too?

Katie59 Thu 08-Apr-21 13:43:12

I think it probably is a true story, when you are a victim of abuse yourself it’s easy to become abusive and intolerant, you get very hard. As for the money I’d leave it to my daughters it’s up to them what they do, bequests to others can be made as well. As you get older there may be friends or relatives who look after you, it would be nice to leave them something.

Curlywhirly Thu 08-Apr-21 13:45:35

Hmm, this is the second post this week from a mother giving details of a very strange home life and who fails to see that they have contributed to their children's unhappiness - I'm finding hard to believe either story.

FlexibleFriend Thu 08-Apr-21 13:48:21

Your daughter wanted for nothing are you deranged? They may have been fed and clothed but they certainly wanted a decent and loving mum and dad and they had neither. You're surprised they were not well behaved, I'm not kids act up when they want and need attention but you couldn't see it. Once they were 18 you wanted money off them to replace the benefits, I would have left so fast you wouldn't have seen me for dust. My sons carried on living at home well into their 20's because it was a good and happy place to be. Yours were only welcome if they could pay and job seekers wasn't enough for you. Leave the money to your daughters they've earnt every penny.

Sandytoes Thu 08-Apr-21 21:52:28

If this is for real it is incredibly sad you feel you acted in their best interests . You did not , your children needed a parent who prioritised their safety and emotional wellbeing , not a potential inheritance. No amount of money could make up for the abuse they witnessed and suffered .

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 13-Apr-21 07:59:56

Strewth, I’ve just read this thread again. What a strange woman! Is she real? One of my sons, who is in his 30s, moved back home for 18 months. I didn’t charge him rent as he had little money, he cooked and cleaned and was good company. Money was not on our minds at all. When he had any he would pay for some of the groceries. I don’t think that woman was real at all, who stays in a rotten marriage for their children’s sake? No one I know.

Shropshirelass Tue 13-Apr-21 08:10:19

You should leave your money to exactly who you would like to benefit, you are not morally obliged to leave it to family members who you don’t see and who don’t bother with you. Your daughters don’t bother with you and didn’t support you when you needed it, if that was me then I wouldn’t leave them anything at all but would put a letter with your will explaining that you have given beneficiaries great thought and your decision to omit certain family members is final, you can state why, this will help should they raise a dispute in the future when you pass. Believe me, they all come out of the woodwork when they think they might benefit!!!

nellgwynne Sat 24-Apr-21 16:16:34

Chookchook, I don't often comment on threads but this is unbelievable. For a start, this could be a fake story it's so extreme. If it is true, I'm sorry but you sound like an awful person, a terrible mother with no empathy, kindness or understanding. Your daughters have been scarred by your lack of protection. I'm sure they don't want you anywhere near their children. So zero sympathy with you.

Newatthis Sat 24-Apr-21 17:11:16

It would seem you stayed with him for the money. He seemed like a vile controlling man and the comment he made to your daughter was evil and nasty.Are you really surprised that your children don't want anything to do with you. Most of us here are not.

annodomini Sat 24-Apr-21 17:33:21

All you wanted when your daughters left school was a share of their incomes. Did it ever occur to you to have a job yourself?