Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU - Friend borrowing car

(229 Posts)
PinkCosmos Wed 21-Apr-21 16:25:32

At present we have a 'spare' car. We are friendly with a couple who had two cars but chose to get rid of one of them. This was OK until the H started working shifts and weekends.

Since then the wife has been asking to borrow our spare car on a regular basis - to go shopping, to go to the doctors etc.

She always asks my husband if she can borrow it as he is soft and never says no

I probably would also be too soft to say no if she asked me.

However, I am finding it a bit annoying that we are, in effect, providing her with a free car whilst we pay road tax and insurance.

Her husband is adamant that they are not getting another car.

I don't want to fall out with them as they are good friends and we have helped one another out in the past.

However, this has been going on for a couple of months now and I think she is being a bit cheeky.

How do I handle this without falling out with her.

Gabrielle56 Thu 02-Sep-21 09:07:07

FarNorth

^I spoke to my H about the insurance situation and he says he thinks she is OK to drive it as a third party. I could not convince him otherwise.^

He actually has no idea if she's insured or not, does he.

You could both be in legal trouble if she has an accident with your car, or if the police happen to check on her.

The issue really is if she hits a pedestrian , praying a car is costly to the pocket but OMG if she were to hit someone! They'd get zero in the case of serious injury problems and it doesn't bear thinking about

Gabrielle56 Thu 02-Sep-21 09:07:48

#pranging!

NotSpaghetti Thu 02-Sep-21 09:17:13

I think this is sorted now.

Good news, pinkcosmos