Gransnet forums

AIBU

PREGNANT NOT ILL

(227 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Grannie2B Tue 27-Apr-21 16:29:25

about a three weeks ago I had bad news that my dear friend has Cancer. I also had good news that DIL is pregnant.

One afternoon I just got off the phone to my friend who informed me that her treatment was leaving her extremely tired, with a bad headache and vomiting many times during the day.
DS and DIL were over and after the call I said "Poor Sue, says it's really rough, I've not known anybody to be Ill like it"

To which DIL said "I feel the same and it's awful"
I was gob smacked! Luckily my DH jumped in and said "But you're not ILL are you!"

DIL is vomiting quite a bit throughout the day even when visiting our house and I'm sure it's taking its a bit hard being as it's her first time but how dare she say that when my friend is sick with CANCER!

When DS and DIL left me and DH had a long conversation about the audacity of DIL and decided that we wouldn't tolerate her selfishness like that again. DH was angry she said that to me knowing how upset I was about my friend.
Now when ever DIL whinges about being pregnant me and DH both remind her that she isn't Ill. I can't bear to hear her complaining for the next two trimesters when my friend is really suffering.
This was just a rant to get it off my chest.

tinaf1 Fri 12-Nov-21 17:29:27

Oops sorry didn’t realize it was a old thread ?

tinaf1 Fri 12-Nov-21 17:27:34

Grannie2B

The only reason anybody has given me to accept that awful comment was just in case Dil won't let me see GC. That's not right and I'll not be held to ransom. That's not how a family should run is it. On fear?

No family should not be run on fear but you seem to think it’s OK for you DIL to be afraid of saying how she feels to you or your husband

Your both bullies

GrauntyHelen Fri 12-Nov-21 09:27:53

You have been totally unreasonable Don't come crying to us when baby is born and you're excluded

sodapop Thu 11-Nov-21 21:11:54

Ditto BlueBelle & Hetty58 there have been some really old ones coming up recently.

BlueBelle Thu 11-Nov-21 20:00:41

Why has this been revived
Everything that needed to be said was said
How di people find these old threads do you hunt for them ?
Don’t understand ???

mokryna Thu 11-Nov-21 19:41:34

I don’t understand why these old posts are being re started. People should start new ones.

Jezra Thu 11-Nov-21 19:37:24

Oh thanks Hetty58. I should have noticed the date. Ooooops!

Hetty58 Thu 11-Nov-21 19:32:47

Jezra, this post was written in April - so the baby could well be born by now! (We have a lot of ancient posts being dredged up lately - I wonder why?)

Jezra Thu 11-Nov-21 19:30:58

Grannie2b - I think you are awful. Your poor DIL! To jump on a comment that was probably only empathising with your friend’s sickness aspect in the way you did!
You keep going on about how being pregnant is not the same as being ill. You don’t sound very educated. You can be pregnant and very ill at the same time! I know that from experience.

Jezra Thu 11-Nov-21 19:21:46

I think you are being very unreasonable to your DIL. It doesn’t sound as if you like her very much. She probably meant she felt the same - meaning the vomiting aspect. I can’t think she would be implying that pregnancy is on a par with having cancer just commiserating over the sickness aspect.
I had hyper emesis gravidarum when pregnant and ended up hospitalised over it. It can be debilitating and extremely serious. Maybe she has this?

Hyperemesis gravidarum (HG) is a rare disorder characterized by severe and persistent nausea and vomiting during pregnancy that may necessitate hospitalization.

Tbh I think you, your husband and son should be a little kinder and not jump on a comment that was probably made with the best of intentions.

Ali08 Tue 26-Oct-21 05:50:25

Unfortunately, I know how your DiL feels.
Although I've, fortunately, never had cancer and wouldn't wish the treatments on people (my DCs dad did have it, and died) I have had 2 very ill pregnancies which meant me spending loads of time in hospital. Even after my youngest was born, I was still ill and eventually had to go back to hospital. I was very ill and almost died!
So, I actually feel sorry for both your friend AND your DiL.

Dickens Fri 22-Oct-21 09:34:57

Grann2B

"People are saying they were in hospital with their pregnancies I do sympathise, it must have felt awful but you were PREGNANT not I'll. It will any an illness and it may feel awful and drain you but it isn't an illness and today's mums behave like it is all of them "Nearly died" giving birth these days. Never mind women have been pregnant and given birth for generations since time began."

You appear quite unforgiving and harsh in your attitude towards your DIL, and certainly seem contemptuous of "today's mums" who, I suspect, are no different from mothers all down the generations. Some are stoic, others not.

It's understandable you are upset about your friend's diagnosis and that might be colouring your perspective towards your DIL's 'whingeing' but I think you need to take a step back and examine your own attitude which comes across as being rather despotic and ruthless. It's possible your DIL was, in that moment, simply unable to comprehend the magnitude of a cancer diagnosis but latched on to the symptom of nausea and vomiting and sympathised. It was, at worst, a thoughtless comment, but you and your husband seem to now be on a crusade against her and determined not to let it go.

It doesn't bode well for your future relationship with her and if she ultimately avoids contact with you it might not really be to "punish" you but because she's made uncomfortable by your obvious scorn and contempt towards her. Only you know your DIL - we don't - but on the face of it, I think you are being unreasonably harsh and intolerant.

May7 Wed 20-Oct-21 12:40:54

Spam reported

Blossoming Wed 20-Oct-21 12:18:54

Spam. Reported.

lemongrove Wed 20-Oct-21 12:13:33

Thanks Disco hadn’t realised it was an old thread.?

lemongrove Wed 20-Oct-21 12:12:05

GrannyGravy13

Some women feel extremely ill throughout their pregnancies, constantly vomiting is in itself debilitating.

Yes, my DD had a terrible pregnancy all throughout, non stop vomiting.
A pregnancy itself, where the woman stays well ( although most go through a rough first 3 months and get very tired towards the end) isn’t an illness it’s true.
Your DIL may just have been sympathising with your friend regarding sickness.
You don’t want to fall out with her over this, or your son either, so I would keep your feelings to yourself.She is the Mother of your future grandchild.

DiscoDancer1975 Wed 20-Oct-21 12:05:12

ChristopherChapman8Abb

I didn't quite understand your attitude.. But if you still want to help with the pain, then I can advise you on collagen. Collagen is one of the main sources of flexibility of muscles and joints. Undoubtedly, living collagen, cosmetic and food, too, is very useful for the whole body. It is especially useful for older women to maintain the beauty of the face, skin, and hair. I even smoothed out the wrinkles on my face. I think it's great and most importantly it's harmless and completely natural, without any chemistry. It is produced using the latest technologies, which preserves all the useful amino acids and proteins. Bought in www.thorne.com/products/dp/basic-prenatal . Thanks to the developers.

What on earth does this have to do with the thread....which is 6 months old?!

ChristopherChapman8Abb Wed 20-Oct-21 10:31:02

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Newatthis Sat 01-May-21 09:30:20

So much negativity towards your DiL. Shame on you both when she is in a vulnerable state. Carry on like this and you may not see much of them ( including your new GC) in the future. AnotherDiL bashing post.

DIL17 Fri 30-Apr-21 21:54:28

I think you're looking at it wrong for two things.

1 - extreme sickness in pregnancy is tough and to throw the old 'you're not ill just pregnant' out is really cold and insensitive.

2- just because your culture has the older son at home, it doesn't mean all do. If dil is from a different culture then you need to compromise and find a way to combine both cultures as your GC will be part of both.

Lucca Fri 30-Apr-21 08:12:47

Lucca

Yes I think the traveller suggestion has been mentioned already.............

Just ignore that. Posted in Error.

Lucca Fri 30-Apr-21 08:09:04

Yes I think the traveller suggestion has been mentioned already.............

mumofmadboys Fri 30-Apr-21 07:56:14

Granny2B I wonder if you are jealous of your DIL? You can certainly be ill when you are pregnant.

Oswin Fri 30-Apr-21 01:53:46

OP you are a bully. Not some powerful matriarch you seem to have imagined yourself as.
Just a common nasty bully.

Ro60 Fri 30-Apr-21 01:41:11

Just out of interest Granny2B; What is the situation of you visit your grand-child in your son & Dil's home? Would their rules then apply?
Secondly, some Asian households also live in extended families.
It must be difficult transitioning from one culture to another.