Gransnet forums

AIBU

Reaction by my brother

(33 Posts)
Mamma66 Fri 28-May-21 07:35:47

Apologies for the long post. My Father died in October last year. The plan (which my Father fully supported) was that my husband and I buy out my brothers and live in the family home. This way we could keep the house in the family and one of Dad’s grandchildren could buy us out down the line (my niece has expressed this desire already). As my younger brother is not working (but lives nearby) he offered to clear Dad’s house. At first we were pleased with the offer, but as time went on it has become an utter nightmare. He has insisted that everything is done his way, will not allow any involvement and progress has been incredibly slow.

We realised that he was particularly struggling with Dad’s death and almost certainly suffering from depression and tried to be as supportive as possible, but this is growing increasingly hard.

The arrangement was that we would pay off the outstanding mortgage and make partial payment to my brothers (which we have done) and pay the remainder once ownership is transferred to us. We sold our house and moved in to Dad’s (or rather half of Dad’s house in April) as it was still full of Dad’s stuff. Any attempt we make to sort anything out is met with increasing hostility. We got a storage unit for three months and have suggested that we do this again so that we can take the pressure off us all and buy time and space to sort things out, but once again this has met with absolute refusal.

We are in the ridiculous situation of being in a large five bedroom house with only one bedroom and one reception room being usable. Every attempt we have made to decant the stuff into one place has resulted in my brother going off the deep end.

The day we moved in was a nightmare, there was so much stuff in Dad’s house that we only crammed our possessions in through my older brother and his family clearing the loft to give us some space and doing numerous tip runs and taking on a storage unit.

We ordered two sofas and an armchair for one of the reception rooms months ago and a fireplace to be fitted, assuming the house would be empty by then. The sofas are arriving today and there is nowhere for them to go. My husband rearranged a small amount of stuff in the dining room so that there would be space as he is on a late shift and didn’t want it to fall on me (I have some health issues). My younger brother turned up yesterday afternoon and went absolutely ballistic, literally screaming his head off at me as my husband had ‘ruined’ his system. He is quite intimidating to the extent that our dog was actually cowering and shaking with fear. He wouldn’t allow me to explain and moving the things to how they had been would take five minutes.

After he left, I messaged (nicely) and suggested that I box up the remainder of the stuff and take it round to him at a time which is convenient so he can sort things out at his own pace which would take the pressure off all of us. Once again this was met with point blank refusal. He insists on coming round again and doing it himself. I haven’t told my husband about yesterday as he would go mad and this would only make things worse.

As it stands now, the furniture is being delivered in a couple of hours, the only way we can fit it in will be to move everything around and this will almost certainly cause another meltdown.

My Dad absolutely loved the idea of us taking on the house and we were so excited and happy at keeping our childhood home in the family, but part of me wishes we had never done it now.

I feel very sad, part of the reason why we did this was so that we could carry on the tradition of spending time at Christmas, for example, together. My relationship with my older brother and his family is fine, but I doubt that the relationship with my younger brother will ever recover and at the moment I don’t particularly care.

Mamma66 Fri 28-May-21 14:28:57

In response to some of your questions, we had no choice but to act fairly speedily. The equity release scheme that my Father chose was actually not too bad, but time was of the essence. My Father made a calculated risk and told us all along that on his death it was imperative that we acted quickly otherwise the financial penalties would be high. It allowed him to do what he wanted to do and was actually relatively inexpensive as we followed his instructions. He was a cautious and very clever man and found a scheme which met his needs. But it was a calculated risk which did mean that we had no choice but to get the ball rolling fairly swiftly on his death.

On reflection, giving our younger brother time and tip toeing around, whilst well intentioned may not have been the best step. I have decided that I am not prepared to allow him to scream and shout at me like that again and that even though he won’t like it we will pack the remainder up and take it to him to go through at his own pace. I think he needs help. My older brother and I have been quite worried about him for a while. Whilst my younger brother is very angry with me at the moment, he does see my older brother as the voice of reason. So that is probably the best way of steering him towards the help me so clearly needs. Thank you again for taking the time to reply

oodles Sat 29-May-21 15:15:38

That sounds a wise decision

Nonogran Sat 29-May-21 17:37:49

As others are suggesting, get everything boxed up and prepared for storage. Unless you are prepared to pay for a storage unit, don't yet set up a contract though. Just condense as much as you can into a room or two dedicated rooms/spaces.
Your brother will probably have a serious melt down but so long as he doesn't get physically dangerous,what have you got to lose?
Time to take charge Big Sister! Feel the fear & do it anyway.

Hithere Sat 29-May-21 17:52:05

Could your brother have a hoarding problem?

Mamma66 Sat 29-May-21 20:22:03

Hithere, I don’t think he has a hoarding problem as such. I think it’s just that our Father’s death has re triggered his grief over our Mother’s death nine years earlier and he is finding it hard to let go of anything of theirs. I have kept things of significance and things I liked which brought back happy memories. I think he is struggling to the extent that he cannot let anything go. So not conventional hoarding, but he is certainly is attaching importance to things that other people might see as rubbish.

B9exchange Sat 29-May-21 20:26:24

I think as others have suggested, give him a deadline and book a van to put everything into storage. He won't have lost it all, and can go through it at his own pace, but at least it will give you room to make the house your own home now.

He would obviously benefit from bereavement counselling if you can possibly persuade him to go.

Katie59 Sat 29-May-21 20:28:39

Make sure your elder brother is there and put everything in storage, organize helpers if you need to, wether younger brother likes it or not.
Bereavement affects different people so many ways, in the end you have to have order and tie up the loose ends.