Gransnet forums

AIBU

Second Opinions - Saying NO to Quarentine in Our House with Our Baby

(179 Posts)
SunshineDad21 Mon 07-Jun-21 19:45:20

Hi All
Have already posted in Mumsnet but thought it would be worth getting views of the Grandparents of the Internet...
Are me and my wife being unreasonable that we don't want visitors quarentining in our house with our newborn? We have a small house, and they wouldn't be able to leave at all for the 10 day period.
They are now being incredibly spiteful and sulking. Not only is space an issue (an extra 4 people in our home), they aren't even acknowledging the potential risk of illness to us and our newborn baby. They are spoiling a time that should be special and happy because we have said no and asked to compromise on the visit happening when quarentine is no longer required. They are being completely unreasonable because they've not got their own way and now we just feel like we have to hide what we are doing as a family just to avoid the abusive/bullying/emotionally manipulative behaviour.
My wife is understandably upset at whats happened. Now we dread the visit at all if this is how it is going to be, which makes us both really sad as we did want to see these people when ready and able to

CafeAuLait Mon 07-Jun-21 23:56:58

Even without a baby, it's reasonable not to have people quarantining in your house. Even without Covid, it's reasonable not to have family staying in your home with a newborn. You need quiet and your privacy in this postpartum time. You are completely reasonable. Their reaction isn't yours to manage.

Ro60 Tue 08-Jun-21 00:24:24

YANBU 10 days!! I wouldn't even stop with my best friend or daughter in normal times for that long.
Also agree with all the other reasons.
Tell them you've though very carefully and it just won't be possible.
You don't even need to give them reasons.

You need the time with your new baby & not to be hosting.

They'll get over the sulking.

CafeAuLait Tue 08-Jun-21 00:41:30

Another thought, are they coming to meet the baby? Many GPs around the world have had to meet their new family members via Zoom, through windows or not at all. It's disappointing and I'm sure upsetting but it's how it is at the moment. I feel for GPs that can't make that meeting in person but the cost can be too high if we don't be safe.

Esspee Tue 08-Jun-21 06:20:13

Oh my goodness, of course you are not being unreasonable to say no to your family. Your job is to protect your family which is exactly what you are doing.
Well done.

eazybee Tue 08-Jun-21 08:13:41

There are two issues here; one your family thinking it is right to travel to this country when they will be required to quarantine for ten days after their arrival, because they pose a risk to people here, and secondly, that they think it is right for four people to impose themselves on new parents and their new baby. It wouldn't matter if you had six bedrooms; hosting four people when not long out of childbirth is a huge imposition, and you are absolutely right to refuse to allow your parents to stay with you, either now or later.

Mattsmum2 Tue 08-Jun-21 08:19:50

You are absolutely not being unreasonable and they should not have even assumed they can. If they want to visit they use a quarantine hotel and pay for it. It’s not worth your distress. There have been so many disagreements over this pandemic, we just all need to be kind to each other. Wishing you all the best xxx

Septimia Tue 08-Jun-21 08:26:17

We visited for a few days when our GD was about a week old. DiL asked if we would mind staying in a nearby hotel - we understood perfectly - and she booked it for us. We'd have been an extra 2 in a 2-bedroomed house. We visited daily, but not for all day.

So, like the others, I don't think you're being unreasonable. If you can find your family some suitable accommodation nearby then they would be unreasonable not to accept that.

FarNorth Tue 08-Jun-21 08:34:14

You are being perfectly reasonable.

These people are reacting nastily? That reinforces that you were right not to want to be cooped up with them for that time.

I'd not want to see them at all, since that's their attitude.

NotSpaghetti Tue 08-Jun-21 08:34:50

Is this a cultural difference here?
Just wondering.

MawBe Tue 08-Jun-21 08:40:56

I may be making this up but I am sure the principle of quarantine was to isolate from others not live massively overcrowded with a young baby and its parents - where are the 4 planning to sleep for a start? As your wife has recently given birth, would I be right in assuming she has not been vaccinated? You sound young, so for that matter, have you?
Far from adhering to quarantine regs this seems designed to break every guideline going not to mention, common sense.
You have to say No.

SunshineDad21 Tue 08-Jun-21 08:44:08

No cultural difference, just a parent used to always getting their own way and being a bit of a bully.
We suggested air bnb for the four of them (this is two couples coming from two different Amber list countries) and then for the grandparents to stay with us for one week only and the other family members to visit. This was 2 weeks ago and every call since there has been sulking, spiteful comments, comments about not being loved or welcome.
We've both come of Facebook just because when photos are posted of us with wife's family, I receive aggy messages. Its really upsetting.

MawBe Tue 08-Jun-21 08:49:39

I am pretty certain what they want is illegal so you should have no part in it, as well as dangerous and frankly bonkers.
3 couples in a 2 bed house?

SunshineDad21 Tue 08-Jun-21 08:51:02

Neither of us vaccinated yet. And wife understandably worried and also not wanting them staying here for so long, regardless of covid.
We both wanted to see them when it is safe to do so, but after this behaviour we don't want them here at all, which is so sad.

timetogo2016 Tue 08-Jun-21 08:52:50

I agree 100% with the majority.
A big fat NO.

MawBe Tue 08-Jun-21 09:13:15

Tell them it is out of your hands- it is simply illegal.
End of.
Then try to get over how let down you probably feel personally - if they are family, they’ll still be family for many years to come. Not worth a rift or lasting bad feeling.

25Avalon Tue 08-Jun-21 09:20:16

Good heavens this is way too much worry! Do they want your wife to have postnatal depression? Usually parents stay to help not to cause extra work and worry. Yes, of course they want to see their gorgeous grandchild but everyone has had to make sacrifices due to Covid. You have to put your foot down. They have to meet our quarantine rules and do they really want to put your family at risk? I hope not. They are the ones being unreasonable. If they come they must isolate for 10 days in a quarantine hotel which means they can’t see anyone in that time. Then they could move to a b&b near you. Do they have the time and/or money for that? It may be they will have to wait until later in the year. Plenty on here have not yet seen new gc in Australia and NZ or been able to visit for a couple of years.

Shropshirelass Tue 08-Jun-21 09:23:49

You are not being unreasonable at all. I think your family members are very selfish and inconsiderate to expect to be able to stay with you. I cannot understand their reasoning. Stick t9 your guns, you are so right. Good luck.

H1954 Tue 08-Jun-21 09:32:08

But why do they need to quarantine with you? Is it to avoid a costly hotel bill? If so, that's just too bad imo. YANBU, stand your ground and enjoy this special, precious and lovely time with your new baby.

Kalu Tue 08-Jun-21 09:46:48

Hello SunshineDad YANBU at all. Who in their right mind would even suggest a young couple with a newborn should accommodate 4 adults, allowing them to quarantine in your home, with complete disregard to the risk to your family is beyond thoughtless and anymore pressure put on you to do this is, quite frankly, bullying.

You and your wife must stand together against these people, family or not. They should be supportive and happy for you both at this point. As you may have been told on Mumsnet, your house, your rules.

Stand your ground and tell them this is no longer up for discussion.
Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

Kalu Tue 08-Jun-21 09:51:58

It is sad when family rifts happen but you are not the cause of this situation.

ExD Tue 08-Jun-21 10:01:51

NO they must stay away.
My son was working overseas when the first lockdown began, when he returned home he quarantined 14 days (as was required at that time) in a tiny caravan in the garden.
If you feel really obliged to accommodate them could they stay in a caravan somewhere?
You really must NOT have them in your house, and please don't let them touch your baby. Babies CAN catch it, I remember one in France and the poor little thing died.
Your wife will still be hormonal and it is criminal of them to subject her to this, she needs time with her baby.
Keep us informed - I find myself quite distressed for you both.

TerriBull Tue 08-Jun-21 10:04:01

As Margaret Thatcher was prone to say No! No! No! You both haven't been vaccinated, two bedroomed house, they're coming from two different amber list countries.........and a fourth even bigger No! you have your new born baby to think about.

You and your wife have nothing to beat yourselves up for, totally unreasonable, if not illegal request.

Wishing you all the best flowers

FarNorth Tue 08-Jun-21 10:20:21

But why do they need to quarantine with you?
So they can multitask being quarantined with seeing the baby, I expect.
Too bad for them. YANBU.

MerylStreep Tue 08-Jun-21 10:28:09

I’m sure you’ve read the government guidelines on quarantining.
Just in case you haven’t, here they are.
Look carefully under the heading checks to make www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-quarantine-when-you-arrive-in-england#quarantine-for-10-days-after-you-arrive sure your following the quarantine rules
Then email this information to your relatives.

Kali2 Tue 08-Jun-21 10:32:06

Why are 4 of them coming from different countries at the same time. A special celebration, Christening or similar?

Hotels might be expensive, but they can share a rented cottage or holiday home, B&B, RBnB, etc, and you can arrange for food to be delivered to them.

Just say it is illegal- and could get you all into big trouble.

I feel for you.