Gransnet forums

AIBU

Second Opinions - Saying NO to Quarentine in Our House with Our Baby

(179 Posts)
SunshineDad21 Mon 07-Jun-21 19:45:20

Hi All
Have already posted in Mumsnet but thought it would be worth getting views of the Grandparents of the Internet...
Are me and my wife being unreasonable that we don't want visitors quarentining in our house with our newborn? We have a small house, and they wouldn't be able to leave at all for the 10 day period.
They are now being incredibly spiteful and sulking. Not only is space an issue (an extra 4 people in our home), they aren't even acknowledging the potential risk of illness to us and our newborn baby. They are spoiling a time that should be special and happy because we have said no and asked to compromise on the visit happening when quarentine is no longer required. They are being completely unreasonable because they've not got their own way and now we just feel like we have to hide what we are doing as a family just to avoid the abusive/bullying/emotionally manipulative behaviour.
My wife is understandably upset at whats happened. Now we dread the visit at all if this is how it is going to be, which makes us both really sad as we did want to see these people when ready and able to

welbeck Thu 17-Jun-21 01:29:17

that will grow over time,

eazybee Thu 17-Jun-21 08:05:16

I would be inclined to send a brief, very carefully worded letter from both of you explaining pleasantly but firmly one more time why it is not possible to have your family to stay; covid and a two-bedroomed house being incontrovertible reasons.

End by saying you will continue to update them by email. If you get unpleasant ones in return, delete them. Leave zoom meetings in abeyance for the present.

Then concentrate on you, your wife and baby.

ExD Thu 17-Jun-21 09:27:47

As a matter of interest, if there was no covid, and before the baby, - could you have put them up in a 2 bed house? When we were first married we didn't have a spare bed nor a sofa big enough to sleep on.
Their request isn't possible at the moment. You, yourself, really want them to stay don't you?
You asked for advice, take it or leave it.