Gransnet forums

AIBU

Young girls wearing next to nothing on the beach

(80 Posts)
Soroptimum Mon 14-Jun-21 15:10:55

Just spent a week in a lovely holiday flat overlooking Poole harbour and a beach. Excellent weather so lots of young folk out enjoying the sun, especially this Saturday. But! I was quite shocked at some of the girls’ clothing. EXTREMELY small bikinis that left nothing to the imagination, not just on the beach but in the supermarkets etc. The young men were ok - shorts a T shirts mostly. What if they’d been wearing budgie smugglers!!! Now I’m not prudish by ant means, but I found it quite uncomfortable. AIBU?

Mollygo Mon 14-Jun-21 18:31:05

On the beach, why not? I did, in what was considered ‘too brief’ when I was young.
I agree about a cover up in shops though. There are some lovely ones on Shein. When I watch how often girls adjust their bikini bottoms, I’d rather they didn’t touch the items I’m buying.
It’s not just those girls you mention who need to cover up.
I’d still rather see girls in the clothing you describe than some of the sights you can see on any beach.

annodomini Mon 14-Jun-21 18:45:36

It was 32-33 years ago when I was in Spain - Costa Brava - with DS2, then 15. The small resort seemed to be where teenagers from Barcelona congregated with their motor scooters. I was surprised - initially shocked - to see teenage girls riding these vehicles topless and wearing the most minimal of bikini bottoms. The local Catalans didn't bat an eyelid and, surprisingly, neither did my teenage son. Imagine a similar scenario in 21st Century England. No? Neither can I!

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 14-Jun-21 18:59:22

welbeck

yes, i wonder how old is the writer if he/she thinks 60 is elderly !

I’m 68!

sodapop Mon 14-Jun-21 19:00:15

Beach for beach wear but definitely cover up needed in shops, restaurants etc. Good manners only in my opinion.

Jaxjacky Mon 14-Jun-21 19:05:49

Beechnut yes, I’ve been on that Studland beach, also swum naked in other seas and swimming pools, it’s rather lovely.
But, for the OP, the same views were expressed when the bikini first arrived, however, I agree, not in shops.

Grammaretto Mon 14-Jun-21 19:24:54

I agree that it looks unhygienic, even unsanitary, to see naked or nearly bare bodies in shops.

A Spanish girl staying with us a few years ago was shocked to see a man without a shirt on. She said that was against the law in Barcelona! I checked and she was right.

Luckily it isn't often we in Scotland have to see bare hairy bodies outdoors as the weather is not conducive.

Callistemon Mon 14-Jun-21 19:25:27

There is an elderly man in my village - 60ish
???

Confirms my view that Gransnet has been taken over by Mumsnet!!

I went to Studland beach too when I was a teenager but didn't strip- oh dear, I was very shy back then.

welbeck Mon 14-Jun-21 19:33:18

i now have an image of bears' feet neatly stacked outside shops, like a cross between a cycle rack and an umbrella stand, where people leave them while they shop.

welbeck Mon 14-Jun-21 19:34:13

i'm assuming some kind of costume effect, nothing gruesome or against the wildlife act.

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 19:56:38

The title says that the thread is about what the girls are wearing on the beach

Beechnut Mon 14-Jun-21 19:59:46

Jaxjacky

Beechnut yes, I’ve been on that Studland beach, also swum naked in other seas and swimming pools, it’s rather lovely.
But, for the OP, the same views were expressed when the bikini first arrived, however, I agree, not in shops.

We might have been there at the same time, who knows ?

Callistemon Mon 14-Jun-21 20:01:20

Elegran

The title says that the thread is about what the girls are wearing ^on the beach^

not just on the beach but in the supermarkets etc.

greenlady102 Mon 14-Jun-21 20:03:13

Redhead56

I must admit we went for an Indian meal last night at a very modern open restaurant surrounded by glass. I was sitting there and about twelve young girls were just sat on pavements eating takeout food. I said to my DH blimey their shorts are like G-strings. I recalled when I made a pair of brown bib and brace then called ‘hot pants’ in 1970. They were very modest and covered me up!
Every person in the restaurant was looking at the girls their shorts right up their backsides letting everything hang out.

you should have seen what the girls wore in the King's road chelsea in the 70's. I didn't....but plenty did

Elegran Mon 14-Jun-21 20:43:21

That is not in the title, Callistemon and the first post is mostly about the supermarkets.

AmberSpyglass Mon 14-Jun-21 20:47:39

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with what women wear on the beach, and you certainly don’t need to be thin and young to wear a bikini.

CanadianGran Mon 14-Jun-21 21:05:49

I'm not a prude, and love the feel of sun on my body, so really don't have much to say about what people wear on the beach. Although I admit certain styles of bikinis/swimsuits are definitely not very practical nor comfortable looking.

But once off the beach, cover up to a decent level!

Harris27 Mon 14-Jun-21 21:13:24

Wish I had the body to flaunt it!

sodapop Mon 14-Jun-21 21:58:03

Me too Harris I was young and slim once but lost in the mists of time.

Esspee Mon 14-Jun-21 22:18:28

On the beach - you are being prudish.
Elsewhere - you are perfectly correct.

maddyone Mon 14-Jun-21 23:16:32

On the beach skimpy bikinis are fine. Off the beach (or away from the swimming pool) people should cover up. A beach dress, sarong, shorts and tee shirt, it doesn’t need to be much, but I think they should cover up.

muffinthemoo Mon 14-Jun-21 23:48:29

walkin on the beaches lookin at the peaches bass line

timetogo2016 Tue 15-Jun-21 17:13:02

I read today that Weatherspoons told two young females to leave the premises as they were showing too much flesh,and i totaly agree.
Modesty has gone out of the window imo, and yet if these youg women had unwanted advances made at them ,they would be the first to cry sexual harrasment and more.
I don`t want to see their body and i don`t like the fact very young boys also see them,it sends the wrong messages out imo.

muffinthemoo Tue 15-Jun-21 17:56:57

They must have been naked to get thrown out of a Spoons

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 15-Jun-21 18:18:15

timetogo2016

I read today that Weatherspoons told two young females to leave the premises as they were showing too much flesh,and i totaly agree.
Modesty has gone out of the window imo, and yet if these youg women had unwanted advances made at them ,they would be the first to cry sexual harrasment and more.
I don`t want to see their body and i don`t like the fact very young boys also see them,it sends the wrong messages out imo.

I can see where you’re coming from, but at the same girls/women should be able to wear what they want. Men and boys can run around in nothing but shorts but when is the last time you saw a topless woman, apart from on the beach? It is up to parents to educate their sons to treat girls and women with respect. Just because they may have more flesh showing than some would like, that does not mean they should be treated as a tart.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 15-Jun-21 18:20:53

Callistemon

^There is an elderly man in my village - 60ish^
???

Confirms my view that Gransnet has been taken over by Mumsnet!!

I went to Studland beach too when I was a teenager but didn't strip- oh dear, I was very shy back then.

I will repeat - I’m 68! Elderly