Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be fed up about heating on in late June grrr

(110 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 28-Jun-21 11:54:36

rain and more rain- and today had to put the heating on! Flaming June they said.

Esspee Tue 29-Jun-21 07:34:49

Tuesday, and here in Scotland we've already had breakfast outside in the glorious sunshine. Sky is blue and a hot day is forecast. An osprey has just flown past. Last week we woke to see a wallaby (I kid you not)

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Jun-21 07:39:29

esspee too much whisky???

M0nica Tue 29-Jun-21 08:11:34

Another day with the sky covered with thick cloud. Looking at the weather forecast this is essentially what we are stuck with for the rest of the week. The temperature is right down again. According to the weather forecast 17 degrees is the best we can hope for today.

I feel really down in the dumps. I will go for a walk soon to see if that makes me feel any better.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 29-Jun-21 08:18:26

Yes we went for a walk by the river last evening to blow away the cobwebs and got caught in a thunder storm. One umbrella between us taken as a shall we shan’t we decision.

Thick cloud and rain here.

love0c Tue 29-Jun-21 08:42:52

Weather is hopeless! One day hot, then cold. The times we go back it the house to get a jumper, umbrella or whatever when we have only just got down the road ha ha.

Parsley3 Tue 29-Jun-21 08:45:33

Having breakfast in the garden this morning under a rare cloudless blue sky. ?

Chewbacca Tue 29-Jun-21 09:03:44

Lovely warm day here today, some sunshine and blue sky. Off to the lake for a picnic with GS today, too nice to be indoors.

henetha Tue 29-Jun-21 09:17:02

I like our weather.

Franbern Tue 29-Jun-21 09:18:52

I always get told off by my daughter if I allow my Living Room heat to fall below 18. Get the lecture about not just keeping myself warm with jumpers, etc. but danger of hyperthermia if breathing in colder air!!!
My heating is controlled by the thermostat, but I turn that down to O in the Spring and stays there until the Autumn. I do have windows open throught the spring and summer months, day and night. Even on the damp, cloudy days my Living room thermostat has not fallen below 20. so not that cold although quite miserable at times.

Mazamet07 Tue 29-Jun-21 09:22:09

Beautiful weather here in Lancashire too!

muse Tue 29-Jun-21 10:16:22

I'm nesh and have a cardi handy for the cooler days.

Grey muggy day here today, mid Cornwall.

Don't like the muggy nights though but all windows are shut as I hate insects coming in, which they do in their hundreds.

Kali2 Tue 29-Jun-21 10:24:06

Heating off today- perhaps I just felt a bit under the weather yesterday- but yes temps about 13-14 in the Midlands.

But yes, so much easier to deal with cold than with heat. Friends in San Francisco say it is unberable at the moment, and further north temps of nearly 50C- this must be unbearable- especially for those who cannot afford cooling systems ... a disaster for wildlife.

Namsnanny Tue 29-Jun-21 11:06:14

Sounds awful for your friends Kali2.
I'm glad to be here!
Thick cloud, but a nice temperature today.

Beautiful photo esspee

Hope you feel better for the walk M0nica?

Madwoman11 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:07:33

Have your heating on whenever you want as I do. If I'm feeling chilly on it goes ?

Amalegra Tue 29-Jun-21 11:28:41

‘Nesh’- there’s a lovely word we don’t hear too often down south! I use it a lot and my family are used to it. When we moved to Cornwall from Cheshire when I was six I was always told I was ‘nesh’ when I complained about being cold! I remember real cold ‘up North’ with thick snow and (horror!) no central heating! So I pride myself, adopted southerner as I am, of not being ‘nesh’ at all. More than I can say for my family!

Lulubelle500 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:47:06

DH goes by what's on the calendar rather than the temperature. I'm freezing in the evening and sit with a blanket around me but he just thinks it's some peculiar whim of mine.

Aepgirl Tue 29-Jun-21 12:02:08

My heating has been on and off for the last couple of weeks, and last night I even put my electric blanket on for a short while - thank goodness I am in credit with my gas/electricity supplier.

Suzey Tue 29-Jun-21 12:03:46

My husband always has the heating on I have to go outside it makes me feel ill

Edith81 Tue 29-Jun-21 12:26:37

Still waiting to wear my summer clothes. Hot water bottle every evening.

M0nica Tue 29-Jun-21 12:46:27

Franbern I had hypothermia on Sunday. I was at a carboot sale and had several layers on and didn't feel cold, this is the danger of hypothermia, you do not feel cold and do not realise that you are very slowly cooling down. But when I got home I realised how chilled to the core (quite literally) I was, so I went and lay in a really hot bath for half an hour and then dressed warmly and had a hot drink.

I envy these people who seem not to feel the cold. I have always felt the cold, even as a child, and in recent years more than before. My mother and her sister were lso chilly mortals so I assume it is genetic.

I also hate a hot house so CH is a balance between a cool room temperature, that is not too cool to cause hypothermia and extra clothing. I find a thermostat setting of 18.5 degrees is about right.

BelindaB Tue 29-Jun-21 13:17:03

I gave up last week and put the heating on - but turned it off before I went to bed! I was absolutely freezing. I HATE being cold.

Happysexagenarian Tue 29-Jun-21 13:25:52

Here on the south coast we had very heavy rain yesterday evening which went on all night. The landscape looks rather flattened today and some houses in the village are sandbagged against the runoff from the fields. It's dry and bright but cloudy at the moment.

We stopped using our heating at the end of March and probably won't light the boiler again until early November. I wear cropped trousers, t-shirts and sandals most days and just slip a cardigan on if it's a bit fresh. DH seems to feel the cold more since he had radiotherapy treatment and lost a bit of weight, but he's stocked up on jumpers and cardigans to compensate.

Llamedos13 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:29:30

CanadianGran, I’ll swap your 27 c for my 31 c at lunchtime here in Southern Ontario ?

grannybuy Tue 29-Jun-21 13:53:43

It’s not so fine in NE Scotland, but the sun is coming out now.

GrauntyHelen Tue 29-Jun-21 14:48:09

It's ROASTING in Central Scotland this week Heating hasn't been on for weeks