Gransnet forums

AIBU

Just had my hair cut

(125 Posts)
Sallywally1 Mon 28-Jun-21 20:57:07

Does anyone else hate it and find it traumatic.? It’s not as if it is at a salon anymore (those ghastly bright lights and large mirrors!). He comes to my house and cuts it.

I still hate it though, especially when I’m asked to look and admire it in a mirror! Am I neurotic?

NotSpaghetti Wed 28-Jul-21 12:33:13

My hairdresser is lovely and always does a great job. I just can't get excited about it though.
It's basically a maintenance chore as my hair is long and fine and needs some shapeing.
And yes, to those who ask, I have always hated it.

Spidergran3 Thu 29-Jul-21 18:42:14

Well I hope there are a few hairdressers on here taking note! Glad I’m not the only one that hates going to the hairdresser. During lockdown I got some clippers to do DH’s hair and started doing mine as well. Best cut I’ve had in years. (I got some extra long guards from the States). I haven’t gone back to a hairdresser and probably won’t as long as I can get my arms above my head.

Rosycheeks Fri 30-Jul-21 08:21:22

No I never find going to the hairdressers enjoyable. Im quite chatty person but I cant make small talk and I hate sitting looking in the mirror looking my absolute worse. I never know what to tip either. My DH cuts my hair, its straight and he can cut in a straight line.
I cut his hair always have done because he dosent go to the barbers as he has Psoriasis on his scalp and he would be embarrassed.

M0nica Fri 30-Jul-21 09:02:03

Thanks to 18 months of Zoom meetings, I am now entirely at home with staring into a mirror and looking at my face.

Seeing myself in a mirror has never really bothered me much. I have never been a beauty, but I am what I am, and I am (and have always been) quite happy with that.

Yet, like Dannyrae, I hate having my photo taken, and I am not really sure why, but I have been like that since infancy. I recently found a photo of me, holding my doll, taken when I was 2 or 3. It was just at the end of the war and this photo had obviously been sent to my father, serving overseas. On the back my mother had written This is NOT a photo of M0nica, it is a photo of dolly. So I obviously I didn't like having my photo taken even then.

Gabrielle56 Sat 31-Jul-21 13:08:14

Absolutely not! I've very recently had a terrifying experience with hair salon! Not been to salon for maybe 30years? Always either cut myself or home visits but lockdown colour messing about needed process only salon could manage. Went to Toni and Guy thinking "only the best" and prepared for a hefty bill. Took LOADS of realistic pics including some of myself in years gone by to show my aspirations. .......they did not take any notice........the cutter was so incompetent too I had to tell her to stop! Came out with basically a pudding bowl cut less than one centimetre in parts. Top of bowl cut was WHITE!! yes you read that right. And the biggest insult? A bill of .....£180...... I KNOW!!!! Needless to say I got home emailed both salon and HQ in that London after much to ing and fro ing I did get a full refund .BUT 7weeks on and I'm still nursing my almost absent hair back to some kind of condition. Luckily my thick wavy hair is just perfectly sound and can take a lot of battering so is not in too bad a condition, it's just taking sooooo long to re grow it. In short? NO you are not being neurotic! Hair dresser visits are frought with danger!

M0nica Sat 31-Jul-21 16:43:40

Gabrielle56 I had a similar experience, many years ago when I was a student. I decided to pay to go to a top hair dresser for a really good cu. The saloon was quite empty and I got the head honcho himself to cut my hair. Unfortunately he was clearly drunk. He didn't listen to what I wanted and asked for and just trimmed(badly) my existing cut. I was in tears when I came out, but didn't have the confidence to kick up a fuss.

I just walked down the road to the local John Lewis store went up to the hairdresser they then had. Because I just wanted a straight cut, not a perm or shampoo and set, they sent me to the childrens department where a nice motherly woman cut my hair as I wanted and allowed me to cry on her shoulder.

Blossoming Sat 31-Jul-21 17:02:28

I love getting my hair done, the girls in the salon are lovely and like old friends. It’s a small local salon and I prefer that. I always come away feeling like a million dollars. It took me a while to find somewhere I’m happy with but you don’t have to put up with substandard service. You’re paying for a good service, some of the more expensive places act like they’re doing you a favour.

Allsorts Mon 02-Aug-21 07:07:45

I think you’re right Blossoming, I prefer going to a small salon where they listen to what you want.

silverlining48 Mon 02-Aug-21 07:36:25

I was 16 and prevaricating about an appointment with Toni and Guy in Leicester Square and it was going to cost the equivalent of a weeks pay.
Confided doubts to friend who I was due to meet later that evening ,
When we met friend said „”I see you decided not to go after all „”.
No said I, I went and had it done”. Lesson learned.
Having mine cut tomorrow by hairdresser who comes to the house. I don’t have to look in a mirror. am Always satisfied and it doesn’t cost my pension

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 02-Aug-21 08:09:48

I enjoy going to the hairdresser and the lady who does my hair is a hoot. But she cuts brilliantly and I have my roots done every few months too. I find the whole thing a treat. I also have thinning hair at the front (caused by at least three of the tablets I take!) but she does her best to disguise it. Maybe those ladies who hate visiting the hairdresser should simply grow their hair and put it up in a bun?

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 10:04:12

I always go full of joyful anticipation, Ladyleftfieldlover, occasionally with a picture of the style I want in my hand, and invariably leave disappointed!

Callistemon Mon 02-Aug-21 10:05:26

Ps don't suggest trying another hairdressing salon - I have (might have to find another town!). grin

Smith35 Fri 13-Aug-21 04:58:07

Each type of hair needs its own approach. Someone knows how to care for their hair, and someone thinks that it's enough just to comb. For example, on the site lovehairstyles.com/all-you-need-to-know-about-2a-2b-2c-hair/ you can find out all the ways to care for different types of hair. I think everyone here can find useful information for themselves.

sodapop Fri 13-Aug-21 09:13:18

Aveline

The lady sprays on stuff before blow drying and then more afterwards. I usually end up looking like I'm wearing some sort of artificial fibre wig! I must just stop going.

Aveline why do you not just tell the hairdresser you don't want spray on your hair ? It's not compulsory.

Redhead56 Fri 13-Aug-21 09:18:47

I had my cut hair when lockdown relaxed last year same hairdressers as usual. Never again it was a mess so this year I have cut it myself. It’s wavy so the odd mistake is concealed.

rubysong Fri 13-Aug-21 09:19:16

I don't enjoy going to a salon. I had been going to have my hair cut by a hairdresser in her home but I let it grow in lockdown. I can manage my fringe but recently the rest was looking a bit tatty. I got my sister to take about an inch off while it was wet. It took about thirty seconds and will last me another year.

rosie1959 Fri 13-Aug-21 10:15:31

Have been with the same hairdresser for around 40 years we are friends as well.
Lockdown was a nightmare I looked like a badger with the grey bit down the parting
So good to go back to regular 6 weekly appointments to get my roots done and a cut. Never ever thought of doing it myself for me it’s a job for professionals She also wax’s my eyebrows
Same with the beauty salon so great to be able to have a facial pedicure ect

Witzend Sat 14-Aug-21 12:44:49

Had mine cut last week, first time since March 2020! I’d actually found long hair quite easy, twisted up into a claw thing.

However, de tangling after washing, and drying, were
turning into a PITA. So had a major chop, chin length bob at the salon I’ve used for ages. TBH the owner isn’t the best cutter in the world so I should have remembered on which days the other is there and specified one of those, but just wanted it done.
She’s nice enough, so from that POV it’s all right, but I’m always glad when it’s over.

I’ve tried other salons locally over the years, but none has been anything like amazing. The only really brilliant cutter I ever found, who always knew without telling what’d suit you best, was a Lebanese bloke in a hotel salon when we lived in Oman. Oh, for another like him…..

Esspee Sat 14-Aug-21 12:54:58

I love my hairdresser. Even when I lived at the other side of the world we kept in touch.

bf7ayl809mxm0 Tue 13-Sep-22 15:10:32

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 13-Sep-22 15:11:43

Reported

FannyCornforth Tue 13-Sep-22 15:15:14

I thought that it was a case of de ja vue!
(Apologies for spelling)

TwiceAsNice Tue 13-Sep-22 15:47:57

I love going to the hairdresser. I have a gay man who does it, he is fabulous , chats about interesting stuff, cuts and colours it exactly as I like it. Gives me a head massage when he’s shampooing and remembers what I’ve said last time eg asks did I enjoy my holiday etc. I love him! Much better than any female hairdresser I’ve had on the past. The last time I went my coffee was waiting by my chair for me already!

MerylStreep Tue 13-Sep-22 15:55:38

TwiceAsNice
My daughter is an Indian head massage practitioner, so I have one whenever I feel like it. ?

Esmay Tue 13-Sep-22 16:05:58

Hi Sallywally ,

I hate it !

The noise , the radio , the bright lights and yak yak yak of the hairdresser .

My head feels like someone has scrubbed it when they shampoo and then , even after a conditioner - the comb feels like a rake .
And it's another bloody disaster of a hairstyle .

So it's long .