Gransnet forums

AIBU

Siblings using the same spoon and cup at the same time

(59 Posts)
Gigi27 Fri 23-Jul-21 18:08:43

My daughter lets her two daughters eat and drink from the same cup and cutlery at the same time. I suggested to her that it would be better if they had their own for each meal. My daughter replies by saying it’s only family germs,but they seem to pass colds and sniffles to each other!
Does anyone have any suggestions how I can make her see my concerns, or is this the way they parent these days?

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 24-Jul-21 20:03:41

Not worth getting your knickers in a knot over!

LovelyCuppa Sun 25-Jul-21 22:28:52

Surely a parent is there when they are eating and can see exactly how much each child has eaten! I love the posters thinking that if the children share cutlery at home they will never learn how to eat in public grin

nexus63 Sun 25-Jul-21 22:45:02

sometimes the younger child eats better because they want to do what the older one does so drinking from the same cup or using the same cutlery is normal, my son was a picky eater until he started sitting at the table with his dad and then he wanted to try the same food his dad had, i think this is normal and it is how kids learn, as for germs they would pass them back and forth as they play or cuddle, no point in an argument, just because you would not do it does not mean it is wrong, let your daughter parent the way she wants, in the end it is nothing to do with you.

Callistemon Sun 25-Jul-21 23:12:03

Perhaps buy them something like these each!
www.prezzybox.com/personalised-teddy-cutlery-set.aspx?glcountry=GB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl_SHBhCQARIsAFIFRVU0iKLDvEq8qcx0wIQr-4w7KAvKdhdMWcTvKDciZyFctROlMaHKqI4aAgzsEALw_wcB
Other makes, retailers and prices available.

Or these for the baby:
lloydspharmacy.com/products/tt-explora-first-cutlery-set?currency=GBP&variant=39249183473727&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl_SHBhCQARIsAFIFRVUXEkeeHenStoNERazZsHddC5l1E75xDhF9-CT8f-x5ZqmMlV3s1VkaAoFKEALw_wcB

That will be called out as passive aggressive by the newcomers from Mumsnet ???

Or just ?

lemongrove Sun 25-Jul-21 23:22:16

Callistemon

Fingers were invented before forks.

That’s what I tell him indoors.?

lemongrove Sun 25-Jul-21 23:24:38

Callistemon

It seems odd to me because you wouldn't be able to judge how much food each child was eating.
Surely the little one is in a high chair?

The germs issue is not concerning because they'll pass germs between themselves anyway.

I wonder why they can’t have a spoon each? Seems a bit odd.
Ours as grandparents not to wonder why though.

Callistemon Sun 25-Jul-21 23:43:30

If I'd given mine one bowl of food and one spoon they'd have been scrapping and the dog would have eaten most of the food from the floor ?

Or DS would have scoffed it all before you could say Jack Robinson.

agnurse Mon 26-Jul-21 09:16:42

I have read that apparently children wanting to eat from a parent's plate is a safety adaptation. If mum and dad are eating it, it must be safe, and therefore good to eat! Really, there are far more serious things to worry about.

Back in the Middle Ages, I believe people commonly shared a "plate" (more commonly a trencher, a large piece of stale bread that served as a plate) and a cup between two people at a meal.