Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dogs to be kept on lead.

(138 Posts)
Santana Tue 10-Aug-21 13:58:32

AIBU to expect dog owners to keep their dogs on a lead, as per signage, in my local park. There are open spaces available next to it where dogs can run free.
The park has enclosed and unenclosed children's play areas, plus sport's pitches. I have checked the government website and parks like this are covered by Public Spaces Protection Orders and a fixed penalty fine can be issued.
I asked 3 dog owners yesterday, in a non challenging way, if they were aware of the signage. One said I was a dog hater, another looked at me blankly and continued to search for her dog's poo which she was unaware of until I told her.
Another lady was lovely and instantly put her elderly lab on the lead.
I think a visit from local PCSO might be helpful.

olliebeak Wed 11-Aug-21 12:27:22

Zoejory

*I'm not over-keen on the 'ankle-biter breeds' - I've had TWO Jack Russells in the past, and found them to be far nastier than any GSDs that I'd previously owned.*

Why would you have 2 Jacks if you find them to be nasty?

At that time, I lived in a house with a smallish garden - certainly no place for a larger breed to be cooped up inside.

We got JR1 as a puppy from a neighbour whose 'bitch' had a litter that they needed to home at 8-10weeks. Having taken him on, we found him to be a lovely dog WITHIN OUR OUR HOME - but outdoors he seemed to think that every other dog was a challenge to be beaten and 'the bigger, the better'. He had a similar outlook with taxis (black cab style) / buses / lorries. I had to double-check the local dog-walking field before going on there with him when it came to walkies - but I didn't let him off-leash. He had one of those retractable leads where you could 'halt their progress' as they tried to leave you, while you could 'home in on them' shortening the lead at each movement. He was good with myself, my husband and my children - who all knew better than to over-excite him when playing. We needed to have him put to sleep due to a health issue and thought we'd try again. It was good to have a dog around, as we lived on a Housing Estate where houses were very often burgled.

JR2 was very similar to JR1 but not quite as 'nippy' though he had a thing about 'boys on bikes' (poor paper boy!) and 'milkmen/postmen/binmen' - all people who came to our home to leave something (post/paper/milk). We had to establish a very strict regime of locking him in one room, before opening the door that lead into the hallway/front door. Next-door had a female Dobermann that he was totally besotted with - definitely a 'changed creature' in her very regal presence. We had him for about 10yrs and he proved to be an excellent guard dog - we were one of the few houses NOT to get broken into. He was run over after one particular escape attempt' and unfortunately didn't survive - I was devastated on behalf of the Lorry Driver who actually hit him.

I've never had another dog since that one - had a cat for 14years instead.

I've now developed a 'reaction to pet fur/dander' to that's the end of my pet owning sad.

Kamiso Wed 11-Aug-21 12:28:57

We wouldn’t have been allowed to have our golden retriever if we hadn’t agreed to let him have at least one hours free run every day plus a garden large enough for him to run around in.

His Crufts breeder told us that we must hold on to his collar and ensure all paws are on the ground when he greets people, which worked really well.

Unfortunately lots of people bought dogs, some from puppy farms, and don’t do any training with them at all.

Perhaps it’s time to bring back dog licences with a training element attached?

Maddison Wed 11-Aug-21 12:32:24

MayBee70

Oh Maddison, that’s really awful. My grandson used to be scared of dogs. Less so now that he has a dog of his own but he’s still scared. So is his dad. People need to realise that. My dogs have been attacked so many times but quite often, if I ask people to move their dogs away I just get a mouthful of abuse. Most times when a dog has gone for mine the owner has just said ‘that’s never happened before’ even though their dog is loose and mines on a lead. And then they just carry on walking as if nothing had happened.

Hi Maybee you are right, i just wish people would start being nice to one another, i really can't believe the dog owner who say's it's never done that before!!!! it must be upsetting for you to have your dog attacked take care

Chewbacca Wed 11-Aug-21 12:41:42

I'm not phobic. I just don"t like them.

Same here. I understand that dog owners believe that their dog is well behaved and "just wants to say hello and be friendly, he won't hurt you"; but I don't want your dog to run over to me and jump up at me with its filthy feet all over my coat, drool all over me or rub its snotty nose down my clothes. I just want to go about my business with no interaction with your dog. It's fine that you love it. But please don't just assume that the rest of us feel the same way about your dog.

Blondiescot Wed 11-Aug-21 12:50:26

Kamiso: "Perhaps it’s time to bring back dog licences with a training element attached?"

I don't think any responsible dog owner would disagree with that.

Yammy Wed 11-Aug-21 12:54:32

We have had holidays nearly spoiled by dogs both in England, Italy and France. Our already covid restricted holidays were spoiled by dogs. . The dogs were very much in evideidence The time we went out to the garden for lunch it was spoiled by the dogs patrolling the table even putting their paws on us. It happened every time we tried.
The exit from the drive was difficult and we nearly caught one as my DH could not see it.
They were not vicious in fact too friendly. This has happened in other cottages as well.
I am afraid of dogs after an encounter with an Alsation as a child. DH is not much better even though they did have a dog.
Lots of his walks in National parks have been spoiled by dogs running free among sheep.
My BIL was round up while jogging in a so-called dog-free park.
People bring their dogs to our village bag up the poo then hang it on a tree or gate It is a farming village and I have never been frightened of the village dogs they come to the end of their territory then go back no barks or snarls.
I once got so frustrated in a large supermarket car park being hounded by a dog that I pushed my trolley at it, the owner soon appeared and gave me a good dressing down, while the uncontrolled dog nearly cased a car crash with two reversing cars trying to avoid it.
I know people love their pets but that does not mean everyone else has to love them as well and the damage they do in the countryside to poor animals like sheep and deer is unbelievable also we should be able to take children to designated parks without them being pestered or frightened by dogs.

coastalgran Wed 11-Aug-21 12:57:44

I have owned dogs all my life and they are always on a harness/lead in places where I might meet other dogs/people. A dog needs training to be sociable, pass people, bikes, joggers, children and other dogs without fuss, learn to keep its paws on the ground and obey owner commands. otherwise it is an untrained dog, the problem I see today is people who have "fur babies" and allow their dogs to be like naughty children and pampered beyond reason. Don't get me started on coats, jumpers, fleeces etc, the only breed of dog that needs protection is a greyhound or whippet, every dog has its own fur coat for all weathers!

5together Wed 11-Aug-21 13:08:09

Grannygranby, you’ve captured my thoughts exactly. A well trained, well behaved dog shouldn’t be any bother to others. Train your dog properly and they are far less of a hazard than the average child - especially one on a scooter. Yes, my dog goes on a lead on those parts of the park he is required to, but otherwise he walks beautifully and is no bother to anyone. We are often complimented on what a beautiful, well behaved dog he is. I’m sure he wishes he could say the same about other park users! I think greater tolerance is required all round and more thoughtfulness by all would make the world a far nicer place.

Interested Wed 11-Aug-21 13:12:12

Maybe you should start a petition, a number of these accounts are harrowing, and I'm shocked!

Sarahmob Wed 11-Aug-21 13:23:05

Having been bitten by a dog as a child, I’ve always been wary of them. I think if a dog is in a public place it should be on a lead, no ifs,buts or maybes.

Petalpop Wed 11-Aug-21 13:31:37

We have a Springer who does not like other dogs as the first time I took her out on a lead as a puppy two dogs ran straight out and cornered her and she was terrified. The owner just took them and walked off. I ended up on the phone to the dog trainer in tears. It was something I could not control and it really upset me. That aside, we have really beautiful common land near where we live where between March and end of July you are supposed to keep your dogs on the lead because of low nesting birds. We find an alternative or keep her on a lead but there are so many other dog walkers that totally ignore the signs. There are so many instances where some dog walkers give others a bad name. A friend and I go walking through the countryside on a Monday and the times you see people throwing sticks in the middle of the farmers crops without a thought. And don't get me started on the full poo bag hanging in the middle of the countryside on a tree. What is the matter with these people.

Puglady Wed 11-Aug-21 13:38:05

Totally disagree, why should dogs be on leads unless there is a requirement to do so. My local park does not require this, apart from the children's play area. I have 3 small dogs which do not approach people unless encouraged to do so and they are not aggressive towards other dogs. They love to sniff around and meet other dogs and I have no intention of putting them on leads. Children should be taught not to be terrified of dogs but to be respectful of them and not scream at them or chase them and to always ask the owner before touching them.

Chardy Wed 11-Aug-21 13:41:03

I walk the dogs first thing every morning on the beach. Most mornings it's only dog-walkers there. On the prom, plenty of joggers, walkers, wretched escooters etc. To me (and the dogs because of how they've been 'brought up') it's not a walk unless they've been off-lead.
If it's high tide, we might go to a local park, again predominantly dog-walkers. The idea that people want to lay down hard and fast rules because of a tiny minority is strange.
We give small children a wide berth if they are near us. Occasionally we'll stop and let a child tickle one of them if they show shy interest.

handbaghoarder Wed 11-Aug-21 13:42:39

Not unreasonable at all. I have a CKC spaniel grandog. He is never allowed off leash in public, for his own safety- no road sense, easily distracted by anything and everything around him. He can be a timid little thing but loves his walks and outings and just generally hanging out. I’ve lost count of the times he has cowered by us as another dog races towards us to “ say hello”. We’ve had to pick him up to get him away from one over enthusiastic dog who we were reassured was “only a puppy”, albeit a puppy 3 times bigger than ours. He was terrified. And as for owners refusing to clean up behind their dogs, I wont even get started ?

Harmonypuss Wed 11-Aug-21 14:05:47

There are a (large) number of dog breeds that can't be properly exercised by a sedate on-lead walk and genuinely need the ability to run.
The majority of cordoned of/fenced in dog parks are only big enough to allow the tiny breeds adequate space for a good run.
Some pp's have said that there are people who don't like being approached by dogs, well there are people and dogs who don't like being approached by children and in some cases, other adults.
Open spaces are there for everyone to enjoy. If my dog stays away from other people and people stay away from us, all should be able to enjoy their walk/run.

Alis52 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:10:35

Unless the dog is walking to heel with its owner and the owner is 100% confident the dog will stay there, dogs should always be on a lead around other people and animals. Most dogs are not trained properly and can’t be trusted. Owners should also pick up poop unless in rural areas where there are few other dogs and they’re doing their business in middle of a bramble patch!

Santana Wed 11-Aug-21 14:31:34

Thank you all for your views. I must admit that I am reluctant to visit our local park with my 5 year old grandson after some aggressive dog behaviour which frightened him badly. My OH was a distance away and saw me get in between. The dog owner didn't apologise and said it was the child unused to dogs. Not true.
It isn't just the dog mess on my shoes ( pram wheel was a good one) it's the disease that can cause serious illness if dog poo goes in through a scratch, toxocariasis. Not all dogs are wormed regularly.
My nephew caught this when playing rugby.
I think there is little chance of enforcing restrictions.

4allweknow Wed 11-Aug-21 14:36:22

Its like the illegal use of electric scooters people know what they are doing when allowing dogs off leads in public parks but think they have a right to do what they want. I keep saying laws are made for everyone else other than the offending twat.

leeds22 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:43:49

I was bitten by a dog when I was about 10, apparently it was my fault for being near it. I also had a boyfriend whose family cumber spaniel savaged him when he came home late and tripped over it in the dark. The dog, a known biter, was not put down and everyone just had to avoid it. So I'm always wary of dogs now. Hate being told 'he's just being friendly'.

Coco51 Wed 11-Aug-21 14:50:15

We have some lovely walks around where we live BUT we don’t go there because there is so much dog poo.No point having fantastic scenery if you have to keep looking to see where you are putting your feet all the time. There should be strictly controlled areas free of dogs, and those where dogs are allowed. Then people have a choice. Non- dog lovers have a right not to be disadvantaged by careless and irresponsible owners

Blondiescot Wed 11-Aug-21 14:52:11

I was bitten by a dog when I was a child - didn't make me afraid of them. As someone else has very rightly said, not only should all dogs be trained properly, but children also need to be educated how to behave around dogs (around all animals, in fact). And if you're scared of something - whether it be dogs, cats, anything really - I'm sorry, but you can't really expect the whole world to adjust to take allowance of your fears.

SueDonim Wed 11-Aug-21 14:56:22

Handbaghoarder I recognise your description of CKC dogs. We’ve had two - both airheads!

We had our dogs off lead in the rural areas where we lived but on leads on pavements and parks. CKC’s ime don’t go far from their owners anyway, ours always liked to be in eye contact.

Nowadays, though, dogs so often appear to come above humans in the pecking order. All three of my UK-based children have had unfortunate interactions with dogs over lockdown. One person didn’t even have a lead on them when their dog knocked over my youngest GC.

I was also terrified out of my wits by a dog appearing from nowhere and jumping at me. I actually though I was having a heart attack, I had such a fright. Its owner was so busy chatting to her friend she didn’t know where her dog was.

Locally to me, a cat and at least two small dogs have been ripped apart by offlead dogs, in front of horrified witnesses. Imagine how any of us would feel about our grandchildren seeing such a terrible thing.

There have also been numerous dogs going missing when off lead. Some have been stolen while others have been found dead, trapped by their harness or entangled in thick undergrowth, while another one fell into a river and drowned.

Why would anyone risk that happening?

Susysue Wed 11-Aug-21 15:00:33

Puglady

Totally disagree, why should dogs be on leads unless there is a requirement to do so. My local park does not require this, apart from the children's play area. I have 3 small dogs which do not approach people unless encouraged to do so and they are not aggressive towards other dogs. They love to sniff around and meet other dogs and I have no intention of putting them on leads. Children should be taught not to be terrified of dogs but to be respectful of them and not scream at them or chase them and to always ask the owner before touching them.

Puglady, totally agree with you. There appears to be alot of dog haters on here. I have had dogs all my 57 years and cannot imagine life without them. I just cannot understand people who do not like dogs/animals. Whilst I appreciate that if someone has had a scare from a badly behaved dog in the past, they can be fearful but being pragmatic, the way to get over this is to befriend a well behaved, loving dog who is owned by someone else and realise that your fear can be overcome. The amount of children who are being brought up to fear dogs by adults transferring their own fear is irresponsible and totally unreasonable. The joy that a dog can give is amazing. My children have been brought up to love and respect all animals and I fully intend to do same with future grandchildren. Yes I get so annoyed by other dog owners who do not pick up and dispose of poo properly, yes I have had scares where another dog has chased my dogs. There will always be owners unfortunately who are irresponsible but the same goes for bad parenting of ill brought up children who think it is perfectly acceptable for their wee brat to scream and shout, put their dirty feet on bus seats etc. Perhaps we should have a child license!!!

BelindaB Wed 11-Aug-21 15:03:19

Maddison - as a life-long dog owner can I point out to you that the best way to get a dog to leave you alone is to make no eye contact.

So turning your back was exactly right and proper and the dogs' owner deserves a severe kick in the behind!

Please bear this in mind in the future. Do not make eye contact with a dog and it will ignore you. Make eye contact and it will come to you because it will be waiting for the next "message" from you.

Susysue Wed 11-Aug-21 15:04:45

Blondiescot

I was bitten by a dog when I was a child - didn't make me afraid of them. As someone else has very rightly said, not only should all dogs be trained properly, but children also need to be educated how to behave around dogs (around all animals, in fact). And if you're scared of something - whether it be dogs, cats, anything really - I'm sorry, but you can't really expect the whole world to adjust to take allowance of your fears.

Well said Blondiescot.