Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think

(85 Posts)
OldHag Sun 12-Sep-21 13:05:35

AIBU to think that fashion in the UK is SO boring these days? I'm 62 and feel that there is nothing new or exciting these days. I see the occasional thing pop up online that I get excited about, only to find that the companies that advertise them are either rip off merchants, or the quality is rubbish, etc., and end up really disappointed.

Is it just me, or do you know of anywhere that sells bright, exciting styles these days, or have I just reached an age where I've seen it all, even the colours are dreary and boring?

henetha Mon 13-Sep-21 10:50:45

I love Joe Brown's too. Often buy in their sales.
There's loads of lovely clothes around if you look for them, imho. The QVC website has lots of fashion names.

Juicylucy Mon 13-Sep-21 10:53:21

I love colour as well, I find a lot of stuff I like in Zara, being Spanish they have the kind of fashion/ colours that I like.

nipsmum Mon 13-Sep-21 11:09:03

Since I've never been interested in fashion, I pay no attention to it or those trying to promote it. I spent my working life in uniform and I wear what I think suits me and my purse. Yes it is boring.

Chino Mon 13-Sep-21 11:12:32

I am 82 and buy clothes from Sea salt, White Stuff and Cotswold Collection when they have sale offers - I can usually find items that I like but of course plenty that I don't. Just have to pick and choose. I love bright colours as they make me look and feel good

JaneJudge Mon 13-Sep-21 11:15:17

I like sea salt too. I've just thought, weird fish do bright colours and they are very reasonable in the sale

Alioop Mon 13-Sep-21 11:15:19

After being in the house so long and wearing my comfies as I call them, I've started looking online as my shows and lunches have all started up again. I don't even know what styles I even like anymore, although I did get a Damart catalogue sent to me the other day and I have my eye on a few things in it, but I really need to get out of my comfies and lose a bit of weight while I'm at it.

Severnsider Mon 13-Sep-21 11:30:08

The 'so-called' fashions you see in the papers and mags - Do you ever see anyone wearing them? hmm

Fernbergien Mon 13-Sep-21 11:42:07

Like Sea salt too. Usually wait for sale. Going to have a look at weird fish. Love colour even though older as I think it suits me.

lightallan Mon 13-Sep-21 11:46:49

Fashion is a way of extracting money from the gullible, and, for those who are not prepared to wait a few years for the same styles to reappear.

Whatever is your classification, ENJOY.

Ruby41 Mon 13-Sep-21 11:52:34

How about Desigual for those, like me, who like a bit of brightness in their lives? I've got a couple of their bags and scarves which I first saw in France (or Spain - can't remember) and have loved their stuff ever since. www.desigual.com/en_GB/

DianaLouise Mon 13-Sep-21 12:23:20

I have recently been recommended to silkfred. I have also bought sosander but you have to be careful as rather long for us vertically challenged. M&S ghost also seem to have some nice bits

DianaLouise Mon 13-Sep-21 12:26:54

I so miss Debenhams

Visgir1 Mon 13-Sep-21 12:33:47

Check out Erica Davies on Insta she comes up with some good styles.
I like most of her selection, worth a look.

Theoddbird Mon 13-Sep-21 12:44:44

I have been very interested in fashion since the early 60s as a young teenager. I went on to develop my own style. I made my own clothes and probably stood out with my flowing skirts. Now, my style is rather bohemian. I say do not follow fashion. Dress as you want to...develop a style that is right for you. Go through your wardrobe picking out your favourites and work with these. Separates always work best as you can mix and match. If you have an everyday dress you really love that suits you look at finding it in different colours. Do the same with trousers. Pinafore styles are also good as you can put different coloured tops under with matching tights. Fashion should be fun and personal to you.

GraceQuirrel Mon 13-Sep-21 12:49:22

Joe Browns is awful. On these fashion posts why does their name always come up?

HannahLoisLuke Mon 13-Sep-21 13:05:04

MayBeMaw

For colours I love Gudrun Sjoden (I buy online) but recognise they are not everybody’s taste.
If you like bright colours and slightly quirky styling do have a look!

I like Gudruns Sjorgen too but stopped buying when I finally cottoned on to the fact that to achieve the “look” you had to shell out for four or five very expensive items to get the same layered effect. I don’t think her stuff is particularly good quality either. Unlined, thin fabric etc. Having said that I do still have quite a few if her things that are many years old and as the style never changes they haven’t gone out of fashion, if they were ever in.

LondonMzFitz Mon 13-Sep-21 13:16:31

GraceQuirrel

Joe Browns is awful. On these fashion posts why does their name always come up?

Needed to add *in my opinion to your post ...

I like Joe Browns, have several of their tunics which I wear at work. I have some of their cardigans, which I don't think will date.

Iwtwab12bow Mon 13-Sep-21 13:20:22

I used to wear boden clothes a lot. But the fit just isn't right. The models they use are probably 6ft tall and very skinny. On me ,the clothes just make me look like an old sofa. Yumi clothes are nice. Very inexpensive and bright. The trousers are a bit long but that's easily solved. And ( whisper this one) M& S. Yes good old Marks. Well made,stylish, and a very good price.

Zoejory Mon 13-Sep-21 13:25:11

MayBeMaw

For colours I love Gudrun Sjoden (I buy online) but recognise they are not everybody’s taste.
If you like bright colours and slightly quirky styling do have a look!

My daughter loves that site. I do too. Fabulous stuff smile

Rosina Mon 13-Sep-21 13:33:48

I browse the colour magazines at the weekend and wonder who buys some of the clothes - yesterday I saw a simple top that was over £1,000.

Nanniejude Mon 13-Sep-21 13:34:31

What’s wrong with Primarni (Primark)?
Cheap and cheerful ?

OldHag Mon 13-Sep-21 13:46:29

Thank you all for your suggestions and input. I've had a look at most of the recommendations, and have found one or two items that I've liked. Joe Browns style seems like the sort of thing I might like, although I need to lose a bit more weight to buy from them, but at least I've found a little inspiration, and have also come to the conclusion that as I knit and sew, maybe I should just have a look for fabrics and yarns in colours I like and perhaps commit to making my own style.

Noreen3 Mon 13-Sep-21 13:48:27

I like Joe Browns.I was wearing a swan print dress from there ,and a young woman on the bus said how nice my dress was.I was looking in Sainsbury's today,they have some nice clothes in,lovely colours,I have a shirt from there with dalmations on. I like any animal,bird or butterfly prints.

sandelf Mon 13-Sep-21 14:00:33

My trouble is I'm picky (and smaller than average). I want clothes without silly motifs and decorations, that fit well, wash well and wear with pilling and other damage for a reasonable time. - Last thing I bought I'd recommend was a Petit Bateau tee shirt.

sandelf Mon 13-Sep-21 14:03:10

Some Fat Face is OK