Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think

(85 Posts)
OldHag Sun 12-Sep-21 13:05:35

AIBU to think that fashion in the UK is SO boring these days? I'm 62 and feel that there is nothing new or exciting these days. I see the occasional thing pop up online that I get excited about, only to find that the companies that advertise them are either rip off merchants, or the quality is rubbish, etc., and end up really disappointed.

Is it just me, or do you know of anywhere that sells bright, exciting styles these days, or have I just reached an age where I've seen it all, even the colours are dreary and boring?

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 14-Sep-21 16:49:24

I like Gudron and White Stuff. Sahara are great if you stick to their sales! I recently bought a purple tunic from them, much reduced, and put it away for the winter. Kin at John Lewis are good too. A little unusual and I have to buy a size smaller as the dresses and tops are very baggy. Seasalt are interesting and do dresses, leggings and coats, all in bright colours.

Dinahmo Tue 14-Sep-21 22:08:54

OldHag

Thank you all for your suggestions and input. I've had a look at most of the recommendations, and have found one or two items that I've liked. Joe Browns style seems like the sort of thing I might like, although I need to lose a bit more weight to buy from them, but at least I've found a little inspiration, and have also come to the conclusion that as I knit and sew, maybe I should just have a look for fabrics and yarns in colours I like and perhaps commit to making my own style.

There's an Australian company that has a small range of patterns. most of which are quite simple. And the range isn't too large. They send everywhere but you can also download the patterns.

Dinahmo Tue 14-Sep-21 22:09:20

I forgot the name. It's called Style Arc.

Maggiemaybe Tue 14-Sep-21 23:20:37

We’re so lucky to be able to dress as we want, whether it be classic, colourful or bohemian. There’s so much choice out there, and no need for anyone to be forced into clothes they don’t like. Most new fashion is aimed at the young, and rightly so, but there’s nothing to stop us joining in if we want to. My DDs are currently floating round like something out of Little House on the Prairie though - an adorable look on them, but if I tried it at my age I’d look as though I’d escaped from a home, so I’ll pass. grin I’m trying these days to use and adapt what I already have, rather than adding stuff I don’t need. But I’ve bought a couple of cheerful things in the sales this Summer from Joules and Gudrun S. - they’re well made and will be used a lot.

Deedaa Tue 14-Sep-21 23:42:36

We've got a very good charity shop that sells some lovely clothes. I've bought tops by Fat Face, East and White Stuff and a wonderful red Per Una maxi dress. eBay has come up with a long skirt from Seasalt and a dress and a top from Joe Brown. Definitely getting more colourful. I reckon that at 75 if I don't wear some bright stuff now I never will do.

Lilyflower Wed 15-Sep-21 14:20:44

Gosh, I agree. All those frumpy, flowery, long sleeved dresses. They do nothing for anyone. Even pretty women with nice figures look as dull as dishwater and their nice figures are hidden by billowing, shapeless cotton.

Ethelwashere1 Sun 19-Sep-21 08:50:01

Give me the charity shops anyday. However ive bought a couple of tops from next, not exciting but suitable for work. Asda george has nothing now that i like, i used to go to george often. I also go to M&S for something lasting but most clothes nowadays are too expensive for me

Smurf52 Mon 11-Oct-21 20:06:00

Ulla Popken.

Elegran Mon 11-Oct-21 20:31:41

I have just bought a very nice top (Cobalt/Lime Floral Crush Pleat Blouse) from Chesca, " a luxe fashion brand designed for the curvy woman founded by Jacqui Green size 20" chescadirect.co.uk/ Most things are in sizes 12 to 26