Gransnet forums

AIBU

friend not being a friend?

(62 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:15:43

"Bit of an anti vaxxer" that's not possible, you either are or you're not. Sounds like you are (or were) and that's why you got Covid so badly and probably the reason your friend has kept her distance, as others have said. I feel very sorry to hear that you were so ill and I hope you've made a good recovery. I also hope you have now had the good sense to get jabbed.

Scones Wed 13-Oct-21 22:07:32

You said yourself that your friend is anxious about covid. She's afraid of catching it from you.

seacliff Wed 13-Oct-21 22:06:04

Totally agree with all above. If you and your husband now fully vaccinated? If so, you could drop her a message telling her you had a change of heart now, and hope you can meet sometime.

Elizabeth27 Wed 13-Oct-21 22:02:49

Maybe she was so upset that you were ill it made her angry that you had not had the vaccine.

When people grieve or are very upset they want to blame somebody and they become angry, I think in this case she blames you for not having the vaccine and she nearly lost you.

M0nica Wed 13-Oct-21 21:51:29

Absolutely. Have you been vaccinated since you had COVID or are you still 'a bit of an anti-vaxxer'? I suspect that is a euphemism for being strongly anti-vax.

I would be avoiding and distancing myself from anyone who was an antivaxxer, no matter how good a friend.

Urmstongran Wed 13-Oct-21 21:31:45

janeainsworth

‘I was a bit of an anti-vaxxer’

My red flag, right there.

Zoejory Wed 13-Oct-21 21:28:57

I think we've all arrived at the same conclusion.

Your friend is probably concerned about your vaccination status

Maybe you should just ask her?

Summerlove Wed 13-Oct-21 21:11:35

I’m glad to hear you survived.

Is she afraid that you might still not be vaccinated?

Kim19 Wed 13-Oct-21 21:07:42

Yes, that leapt out and stayed with me too, J

Blossoming Wed 13-Oct-21 21:05:15

I wondered if it was the anti vax issue too. Could you ring her and see what response you get?

janeainsworth Wed 13-Oct-21 21:00:48

‘I was a bit of an anti-vaxxer’

PinkCakes Wed 13-Oct-21 20:01:41

I've been friends with a woman for 13 years - she's a couple of years older than me, at 64, but was in a relationship with my son, for about 8 years.

I always got on with her, always liked her. She broke her wrist, then got breast cancer, and I supported them both emotionally, as well as doing their ironing every week for 6 months, and going with her to every radiotherapy session.

When they split up, she stayed in the house they were buying, and I remained friends with her. We bought each other Christmas and birthday presents every year. I used to pick her up 3 or 4 times a week, and we used to go to Zumba and Aqua Aerobics together. Every fortnight, my husband and I used to go out with her to various social clubs. When she had about 2 years of bother with her mum who had Alzheimer's, I was there to listen, a shoulder to cry on.

When Covid began, she was very anxious, wouldn't have anyone in her home, but I'd sit in her garden with her or we'd meet at the park. She had the vaccine, I didn't - I was a bit of an anti-vaxxer. Anyway, in July this year, I got Covid and Pneumonia, was on a ventilator for 2 weeks, and had a stroke whilst unconscious. My husband rang her to tell her. When I regained consciousness and was able to use my mobile, she and I exchanged a few messages, she said she'd visit when I got home and that she'd do my hair, that kind of thing.

I was in hospital for 6 weeks, she didn't ring once. I told her when I was home, she said she'd been very stressed with work (clerical work, from home) and that she missed seeing me. Still no call etc. She then sent me a card, through the post, which the Zumba ladies had all signed.

She's gone to the trouble of buying a card, getting others to sign it, buying a stamp and posting it, yet she lives LITERALLY 5 minutes' drive from me.

AIBU to think she could/should have rung me or called round?