Gransnet forums

AIBU

Triangulation /the narcissistic kind

(62 Posts)
OnwardandUpward Tue 26-Oct-21 10:03:08

My Mother is a narcissistic bully who has controlled my sister like a puppet these last few years. As a result my sister HATES and blames me, having rages at me because my Mother has triangulated between us, spreading lies about me. She has now started to lie about my sister to me, so I am giving them both a wide berth!

A friend who I haven't heard from for ages (she's very flaky) has just started trying to triangulate between me and another friend by complaining about the other friend to me. She's likely complaining to the other friend about me. AIBU to be suspicious? Just not sure if it's my bad family situation making me jaded or if the alarm bells are for good reason.

Smileless2012 Wed 03-Nov-21 10:34:52

She's very lucky to have you maddyone even though she doesn't realise it. I hope the visit isn't too stressful for you. Don't feel guilty, the guilt is for her to own not you.

maddyone Thu 04-Nov-21 10:27:31

Yesterday I visited my mother on her birthday in her care home. In fairness to her she did like the handbag I bought for her for her birthday. She had asked me to buy her a handbag. Otherwise, as usual she was very negative. She had texted me to say she was ill and the doctor had been called. When we arrived she was in bed. She explained how ill she was, but it was her usual problem of constipation (she often gets it and always calls the dr) and no doubt she’d told the staff she needed a doctor. Obviously they don’t know her as well as I do. I could have diagnosed it myself and prescribed two sennacot which would have sorted her out. She’s so attentive seeking all the time.
At the same time my husband’s mother, also 94, is in hospital for her fourth week, suffering from breathing difficulties and chest infections. Yesterday my husband phoned the hospital and managed to speak to her. I ended up crying. She sounded so so ill. She said her chest hurts her to breathe (she’s on three litres of oxygen a day) she sounded so bad, it’s so upsetting. Now there’s Covid in the hospital (not her ward) so no visitors are allowed. I don’t think she’ll get better now.
The difference between the two mothers is so huge. It always was, she was so lovely to me right from the beginning. My mother was definitely not nice to my husband. One time she said he’d have made a good Nazi. I gasped. And she laughed. She’s unbelievable.

Smileless2012 Thu 04-Nov-21 13:15:30

Your H must be worried sick maddyonesad I hope you get to see her soon.

I'm glad your mum was pleased with her gift and the visit wasn't as bad as it could have been. Not much you can do with constant negativity except let it wash over you as much as you can.

maddyone Fri 05-Nov-21 12:18:08

Can I PM you Smileless please?

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Nov-21 15:30:01

Yes of course maddyonesmile

maddyone Fri 05-Nov-21 16:15:08

I tried but it wouldn’t go. Could you try PMing me please?

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Nov-21 17:17:41

I'll pm you now.

Smileless2012 Fri 05-Nov-21 17:18:42

Just sent it maddyone.

maddyone Fri 05-Nov-21 18:36:02

Thanks I’m looking out for it. X

OnwardandUpward Fri 12-Nov-21 18:54:35

Sorry I've been so long in getting back. I had laptop issues and life got crazy for a while, but I'm trying to catch up here now and really appreciate all the answers. flowers

OnwardandUpward Fri 12-Nov-21 19:39:37

Thanks so much Smileless. I hope he will get clean and be in his right mind, realise he's loved. Seeing Christmas decorations in the shops feels a bit depressing. Last year I put the tree up in November , but this year I'm not sure. If I knew perhaps I was expecting a certain little visitor I would jump at the chance of all the Christmas decor and prep...
I know, I'm lucky I got him last Christmas, at all. I will treasure the memories and try to be content with those.

It's hard isn't it when you're not the favourite. It seems like many people have favourites, even though they loudly say how they treat all their kids as equals. They blatantly do not. I've seen it in my own family and in neighbours and friends families. They know what they are doing.

Glad your Mum liked her hand bag Maddyone 94 is a good old age! It's kind of you and understandable to want peace for yourself at the same time.