Gransnet forums

AIBU

Binders. The world has gone mad.

(597 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Wed 10-Nov-21 18:47:47

Lush and a company called Gender swap are offering young girls chest binders which they can collect without their parents knowing .This can damage chests and ribs but from the comments on Lush page the girls are flocking to buy these.. Sounds dangerous.

Bridie22 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:03:47

So they are encouraging abuse and disfigurement of young girls bodies...shameful and disgusting, time to boycott these shops, hit them were it hurts!

MissAdventure Wed 10-Nov-21 19:04:12

Is it even legal to provide something that may cause harm to young girls? (Presuming they are minors)

kircubbin2000 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:11:39

No age limit and they are taking their details for future sales.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:11:47

Have you got a link to this please?

I have always bought Lush products, particularly at Christmas for stocking fillers.
If this is true they gave lost my business.

BlueBelle Wed 10-Nov-21 19:13:38

But they don’t sell clothes??? can we have a link please

MissAdventure Wed 10-Nov-21 19:15:36

Look at their partners list.

genderswap.org/

GillT57 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:16:10

Well as a supporter of Lush I am very disturbed about this and shall find out more. I have always admired their ethical stance and buy a lot of their toiletries, especially as gifts

Lizzie72 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:17:50

Just looked this up online. All I can find -
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-10181729/Lush-comes-fire-offering-chest-binder-collection-service.html

MissAdventure Wed 10-Nov-21 19:18:06

Please post what you find.
I'm not much good at googling.

Zoejory Wed 10-Nov-21 19:22:28

thecritic.co.uk/woke-lush-have-done-it-again/

I'd not heard of Lush but a quick google threw this up.

VioletSky Wed 10-Nov-21 19:22:41

What you aren't considering is that these girls are already binding their chests with whatever they can get their hands on. Buying them the right size and fit with a better design will actually prevent them harming themselves.

Lincslass Wed 10-Nov-21 19:23:01

Lush, overpriced, over perfumed. This though is a new low, whatever is this country coming to, sleaze in Government, selfish no vaccine, and now deliberately encouraging binding in pubescent young girls, foot binding was made illegal in China, breast binding should be illegal here, unless for medical reason. Some of my family love Lush products, no more from me am afraid. This makes me so angry. Who the hell do they think they are.

Visgir1 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:23:59

For goodness sake are they serious?
As a shop I can't stand the awful smell it omits and if this is true then it really stinks.

MissAdventure Wed 10-Nov-21 19:25:16

www.instagram.com/p/CWA6_94gN6-/

Lizzie72 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:26:29

There’s a thread on Mumsnet about it -

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/womens_rights/4396710-Lush-Binder-Collection?pg=7#prettyPhoto

MissAdventure Wed 10-Nov-21 19:31:32

pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27300085/

Ilovecheese Wed 10-Nov-21 19:46:40

VioletSky
Professionally made binders will still be damaging to young women's bodies, they will just be easier to take on and off.

Robin38 Wed 10-Nov-21 19:56:03

Lincslass

Lush, overpriced, over perfumed. This though is a new low, whatever is this country coming to, sleaze in Government, selfish no vaccine, and now deliberately encouraging binding in pubescent young girls, foot binding was made illegal in China, breast binding should be illegal here, unless for medical reason. Some of my family love Lush products, no more from me am afraid. This makes me so angry. Who the hell do they think they are.

Completely agree. Utter madness. I used to like and buy their products - not any more. The world HAS gone mad.

Calistemon Wed 10-Nov-21 19:59:00

Lush is grooming young susceptible girls.
I hope this is banned and I hope that they are forced out of business.

Any business which advertises cult products has to be suspect: These are some of our cult products

We passed a Lush shop in Bath and my friend felt ill from the smell coming out of their door.

Grannmarie Wed 10-Nov-21 20:09:56

I remember my dear Mum 'binding ' me to suppress my breast milk when I chose to put DS1 on the bottle... This was the early 70s...

I cannot imagine why Lush should be encouraging young women to bind their breasts....

Smileless2012 Wed 10-Nov-21 20:28:35

Any company selling anything to minors with the enticement that their parents will be unaware of their purchases, especially something that could cause long term damage, should be sunk without a trace.

Hithere Wed 10-Nov-21 20:36:38

What VS said.

What this shows is a need in the market that is not serviced yet

These girls need to be heard.

Chest binding is common in other cultures - for way worse reason than this one.

Calistemon Wed 10-Nov-21 20:45:26

Smileless2012

Any company selling anything to minors with the enticement that their parents will be unaware of their purchases, especially something that could cause long term damage, should be sunk without a trace.

I agree.

Sexual grooming of children, which is what this amounts to, is an offence.
Sharing secrets from parents, exploitation, sympathy to perceived needs etc are all signals.

Hithere Wed 10-Nov-21 20:48:53

What is the obsession of this board with conforming to the gender you are born into?