Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this was inconsiderate?

(92 Posts)
aonk Thu 25-Nov-21 11:11:47

My Sainsburys delivery came yesterday with a driver I hadn’t seen before. We chatted briefly about his job. Apparently during the height of the pandemic some customers would come outside their properties and, wearing gloves, would remove each item, inspect it closely, wipe it with antibacterial cleaner and then put it in their own bag. All this took ages and sometimes the weather was cold or wet. I would never have done this. I used to put everything quickly into my bags and then put them on the kitchen floor. Then I would wipe and put away. Now I don’t do this as I don’t believe this is the way the virus is spread. Are others still wiping their shopping?

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 11:14:35

No.
I wash my hands after I've put it away.

We're due a storm tomorrow and a delivery, we'll unload as quickly as possible.

Namsnanny Thu 25-Nov-21 11:16:12

He/she/they cant possibly keep to the time slots if anyone is doing this.
As you say, its not necessary anyway.
Your driver must have been very patient aonk

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 25-Nov-21 12:43:56

Very unreasonable with zero consideration for others. I bag mine up as quickly as possible at the front door, put everything away, wash my hands and wash down the work surface I’ve set things down on. And have done so since the beginning of the pandemic.

Deedaa Thu 25-Nov-21 12:57:51

DS delivers for Tesco. He says he just leaves the delivery outside for people who are isolating unless they need help taking it in. He wasn't impressed by a customer last week who came out and sorted out all her delivery with him and then said "I must get back indoors, we've all got Covid" He got back in the van and dowsed himself with his antibacterial gel.

Purplepixie Thu 25-Nov-21 12:59:38

I have stopped wiping the shopping but I do wash my hands thoroughly before I put them away and after.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:06:55

Yes it was inconsiderate behaviour and quite unneccessary, but why on earth did the driver not complain to his supervisor?

He must have been badly delayed on his rounds and receiving dog's abuse from customers he had kept waiting.

In his place, I would have asked my supervisor if I might just hand over the order and drive off.

Beswitched Thu 25-Nov-21 13:37:53

I used to wipe the shopping when I was caring for my late mother. However I would unload it quickly from the crate into a box at the door.
Very inconsiderate to both the person delivering and people waiting for deliveries to wipe each item before taking the next one.

Daisymae Thu 25-Nov-21 18:59:50

Good grief no! I did it once at the start of the pandemic then watched and interview with Dr. Fauci saying there was no need so that was good enough for me. It's mainly airborne. I have been paying for bags until recently when there's no option but to get it out of the tray yourself. I now just put it into a large reuseable bag or two.

Allsorts Thu 25-Nov-21 19:10:19

They don’t care much fir tge drivers do they, these selfish people. The driver should tell them it’s not allowed it’s against the rules, the bosses should support them.

polnan Fri 26-Nov-21 10:37:53

wow some people

Ihave noticed that some delivery people (mostly men) some wear masks, some don`t

I had deliveries in the first lock down, from Sainsburys, and in bags,, convenient, now I understand they just come and put the goods on the doorstep floor??? argh! I would have trouble bending to bring each item in, let alone, on the floor!
I hope someone is going to tell me the easy way to take in food deliveries as I am getting older,, aren`t we all! but yes less able..

ClaraB Fri 26-Nov-21 10:44:00

I unload into bags on the doorstep and yes, I’m still wiping down the shopping.

maddyone Fri 26-Nov-21 10:49:02

We used to wipe the shopping but haven’t done so for a long time. As others have said we wash hands thoroughly after handling the shopping.

jaylucy Fri 26-Nov-21 10:59:32

I think the customer was going beyond the information given at the time and in a way could understand why they were doing it, however inconsiderate most people would think it was.
I would guess also that they were new to online shopping so had no idea of the time limits the delivery drivers were under and had the belief that there was no one else's groceries in the van , just their own!
Wonder if their name was Hyacinth ??

Grantanow Fri 26-Nov-21 10:59:42

Waitrose drivers now unpack their trays onto my kitchen worktop and I then put the items away. I never wiped each item and I don't wipe the work surface unless there is liquid from a leaking or frozen item. I wash my hands afterwards. The drivers wear masks. I think the risk from surfaces us very low.

Gabrielle56 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:01:20

Some folks are pretty darned dumb! My window cleaner used to say his missus cleaned every single item down to each Banana!! Whaaa? Remember when the rumour was going round in60s/70s that you could catch VD. From door handles and loo Seats????? We knew this was utter rubbish as our mum was a nurse! Seems there are still stoopid idle people about who just can't be bothered to check facts........and prefer to make fools of themselves at others' expense?!

Gabrielle56 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:03:03

ClaraB

I unload into bags on the doorstep and yes, I’m still wiping down the shopping.

Why? Honestly I'd like to know what you think is 'on' your items that will kill you , other than raw meat juices/blood?

Elvis58 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:05:08

No never wiped shopping its a pointless exercise.

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:05:24

Would never do that to the poor driver!!
Used to clean everything when I got it home, SO time consuming!!
Don't bother now, but definitely wash my hands well..

annemarg Fri 26-Nov-21 11:08:50

I have a household trolley which I've had for years and now it has become really useful! When Sainsbury delivers I have my trolley just inside the porch and the driver unloads the shopping on to the trolley so I just wheel it through to the kitchen. I'm getting on a bit so this makes it much easier for me!

annemarg Fri 26-Nov-21 11:10:49

I've never wiped the shopping!

Autumnrose Fri 26-Nov-21 11:15:07

I can’t believe that anyone was ever panicked into wiping shopping!

Gabrielle56 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:15:20

It's interesting how people are going OTT with the Cleaning thing now? Before all this I was frequently grossed out/disgusted by what some folks' idea of clean was! Dirty marks around light switches being the first indicator of a mucky house, filthy cooker tops(like those always shown in news items about gas prices! Yuk!!) Dirty appliances chip pans full of overused saturated gunk, I used to be amused in gym at the state of some peoles' brushes and combs, and grossest of all, underwear! UK has reputation of being somewhat lazy on the housework front anyway , it makes me smirk to hear how everyone brags about Cleaning now for tasks which should already have been second nature, it's as if theyve discovered Cleaning as a means to keep things looking clean, new, and safe! A poke in the eye to all those twerps who'd say "life's too short for housework" they now realise it's a darned site shorter once the bacteria are out of control! A friend commented that she'd never have a pure white kitchen like mine because "it shows the dirt" ......so she'd rather the dirt be thick as it likes as long as she didn't see it then? Case rested

Chewbacca Fri 26-Nov-21 11:19:58

Wipe your shopping down? What with? And why? confused

BlueSapphire Fri 26-Nov-21 11:20:07

My Sainsburys drivers are very good, and unload the shopping into large bags which I leave in the front porch for them. I'm afraid I still do wipe the shopping down, but as I go on it is now more slapdash!