Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this was inconsiderate?

(93 Posts)
aonk Thu 25-Nov-21 11:11:47

My Sainsburys delivery came yesterday with a driver I hadn’t seen before. We chatted briefly about his job. Apparently during the height of the pandemic some customers would come outside their properties and, wearing gloves, would remove each item, inspect it closely, wipe it with antibacterial cleaner and then put it in their own bag. All this took ages and sometimes the weather was cold or wet. I would never have done this. I used to put everything quickly into my bags and then put them on the kitchen floor. Then I would wipe and put away. Now I don’t do this as I don’t believe this is the way the virus is spread. Are others still wiping their shopping?

mumofmadboys Sat 27-Nov-21 22:35:16

I have never wiped any shopping

jacalpad Sun 28-Nov-21 10:23:33

With arthritic hands and knees, there are days when I would be very slow lifting every individual item out of the delivery crates of most supermarkets. For this reason, I have my groceries delivered by Ocado. Everything is in bags, and you are charge 10p per bag. You can return the bags the following week, and they credit you 10p per bag returned on that day’s delivery. Win, win situation for me ........ and they stock M&S groceries!

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 28-Nov-21 10:40:07

Me too jacalpad. Ocado don’t deliver round here. Tesco used to supply bags which you sent back the next week for recycling but that stopped some time ago. Better for the environment not to make the bags in the first place I know but I always feel I’m holding the driver up as I put things into my bags rather too slowly.

nannal Tue 30-Nov-21 12:15:52

I have never wiped the shopping... just wash your hands after.

JaneJudge Tue 30-Nov-21 12:18:27

I did wipe the shopping to begin with as we were advised to but our delivery drivers just leave all the shopping in our porch and we get it in after they have gone

Ethelwashere1 Tue 30-Nov-21 21:42:12

gabrielle. Im a twerp cos i cant stand cleaning. Theres just too much life to be lived, places to go rather than housework.

Harris27 Tue 30-Nov-21 22:07:25

I do my shopping and put it away as quickly as possible then wash my hands. And I’ve worked right through the pandemic with kids. Still here?.

Hetty58 Tue 30-Nov-21 22:18:31

polnan, I don't let drivers put things on the ground. Instead, I put a small table in the hall for the delivery boxes - so they're the right height for me to empty them into bags. My bags go on the sofa in the kitchen, then I can put stuff away into storage from there.

Hetty58 Tue 30-Nov-21 22:18:32

polnan, I don't let drivers put things on the ground. Instead, I put a small table in the hall for the delivery boxes - so they're the right height for me to empty them into bags. My bags go on the sofa in the kitchen, then I can put stuff away into storage from there.

Hetty58 Tue 30-Nov-21 22:18:32

TillyWhiz Wed 01-Dec-21 04:40:26

My Tesco drivers stack the crates just inside the door on my doormat and I quickly unload them onto the hall carpet,no bags. Then items get removed to the kitchen when the van has gone. I don't carry heavy bags so this is my system to avoid strain. When I had to self isolate I notified the driver and he bagged up the items from the trays on his van and then left the bags on the doorstep.

BlueBelle Wed 01-Dec-21 05:10:51

No I never have wiped any shopping or post or anything else I don’t eat the packaging and I have a sink to wash my hands in
Anyway it’s an airborne virus
A lot of OCD going on here , suzueq I agree with your children really OTT

BlueBelle Wed 01-Dec-21 05:10:52

No I never have wiped any shopping or post or anything else I don’t eat the packaging and I have a sink to wash my hands in
Anyway it’s an airborne virus
A lot of OCD going on here , suzueq I agree with your children really OTT

JennyNotFromTheBlock Wed 01-Dec-21 07:37:29

I also don't believe virus is spread like this but people are still being extra cautious which is borderline selfish in this case.

Maggiemaybe Wed 01-Dec-21 07:59:45

I swabbed the shopping for a few short weeks in 2020, with hot soapy water. Laying it all out on towels on the kitchen table to dry. What a complete waste of time. And what a relief when I found out that it was!

Hetty58 Wed 01-Dec-21 08:00:58

Those who do still wipe everything really don't need antibacterial/antiviral wipes (to add to landfill).

A cloth dipped in detergent solution (washing up liquid) would dislodge and/or dehydrate any 'bugs' attached to containers.

Puzzled Wed 01-Dec-21 16:05:31

Anyone who has had any experience as a courier will know that this was grossly inconsiderate, and selfish. They always seem to be expected to be somewhere else, some minutes before!

Does no one ever think of the other person?
The shopping could be wiped indoors afterward by the person who DOES have time to spare