Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think this was inconsiderate?

(93 Posts)
aonk Thu 25-Nov-21 11:11:47

My Sainsburys delivery came yesterday with a driver I hadn’t seen before. We chatted briefly about his job. Apparently during the height of the pandemic some customers would come outside their properties and, wearing gloves, would remove each item, inspect it closely, wipe it with antibacterial cleaner and then put it in their own bag. All this took ages and sometimes the weather was cold or wet. I would never have done this. I used to put everything quickly into my bags and then put them on the kitchen floor. Then I would wipe and put away. Now I don’t do this as I don’t believe this is the way the virus is spread. Are others still wiping their shopping?

SachaMac Fri 26-Nov-21 11:20:56

I no longer wipe the shopping down, we did in the beginning. I think it was quite the norm to do this at the start of the pandemic although I’m not sure if it was of any real benefit. I think regular hand washing is more important.
We didn’t mess around though, just checked for any subs and then dumped it all in the hall to sort out once the driver had gone. There’s some very selfish, inconsiderate people around, they obviously didn’t care about the drivers schedule and the other people waiting for their delivery. I don’t know how the drivers keep their patience at times.

Calistemon Fri 26-Nov-21 11:22:31

A poke in the eye to all those twerps who'd say "life's too short for housework" they now realise it's a darned site shorter once the bacteria are out of control!

Do you not understand the difference between viruses and bacteria?

Nannapat1 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:25:47

I've never had a supermarket delivery of groceries, but no, stopped wiping our stuff down July 2020.

GoldenAge Fri 26-Nov-21 11:34:45

Have never wiped down the shopping, and caught covid from my grandson who brought it home from school - Sainsbury's chap brings to groceries to the porch in crates and we empty quickly into our own bags. OH then washes his hands. I don't. The idea of washing every item on taking it out of the bag and before placing it in the fridge or cupboard is quite daunting and seems to be way over the top. I would have thought that most people on gransnet would have been triple vaccinated by now and that makes me question why if they're still taking such draconian measures - suggests they don't believe in the efficacy of vaccines.

SillyNanny321 Fri 26-Nov-21 11:56:26

Shopping trolley by door & most drivers help stick shopping in it as they know now my shoulders & hands are messed up. If they do it its quicker! Anything that helps save them time. No more wiping everything, stopped after few weeks of sore hands just wash hands afterwards!

inishowen Fri 26-Nov-21 11:59:40

I dont wipe down shopping as we now know the virus is spread by coughing or breathing on someone. I have lived my life as normal. Fully vaccinated and sensible.

bevisp1 Fri 26-Nov-21 12:27:13

I dont do home delivery, I shop mostly at Sainsbury’s and do the smart shop which is scan items which I take from the shelf and pack straight into my bags, at the end pay at SmartShop section. so the only people touching my goods is the shelf staker and anyone to takes off shelf & puts back again. There’s no need for unloading & packing at the normal tills, therefore the checkout person has no need to touch, and yet 99% of the time I will still wipe down food with anti bacterial wipes to put items away, & then worktops/cupboard handles etc then to wash my hands. Only food I don’t do but say multipack crisps will empty out straight out of outer bag, freezer food straight into freezer.
I guess it’s become more of a habit now, but still playing safe.

Tizliz Fri 26-Nov-21 12:28:21

Just before my delivery is due I setup a bench in the garage. The driver gets as close as he can when it is raining. Crates go at one end and I unpack as quickly as I can into my own bags. Drivers appreciate the quickness and lack of bending. Then I carry it all into the house, did wipe it over a few times but not for long.

Piskey Fri 26-Nov-21 12:29:29

Polnan - it might be easier for you, if your delivery driver can put your shopping onto a chair - plastic if outside - or on a chair by kitchen door - will save you bending over

Bijou Fri 26-Nov-21 12:30:23

All Sainsbury's drivers kindly unload everything on to the kitchen table for me as they can see I am disabled. I stand a distance away.
I no longer wipe everything but wash my hands after putting everything away and clean the table.

TopCat12 Fri 26-Nov-21 12:31:43

I think it's a good idea to clean everything off as per normal, you don't know what anyone whose touched your stuff has been touching before especially if they have been to the loo and haven't washed their hands.

brazenp75 Fri 26-Nov-21 12:37:35

We bought some cheap crates and have them ready so we can transfer the stuff as quickly as possible, then sort it out inside once the driver has gone. I'm very concious that we are holding up the driver but try to be quick. They are always very nice.
We just clean our hands thoroughly after putting everything away.

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 26-Nov-21 12:42:43

Never wiped shopping down. Washing hands is a given. Take delivery crate off driver, unload it and return to driver. All very straightforward. Drivers all lovely people.

Shropshirelass Fri 26-Nov-21 13:45:13

No, I never have. I use hand sanitizer frequently though.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 26-Nov-21 14:08:59

No, I don't wipe the shopping, never have. I have a friend who will go OTT with everything, wiping shopping down wearing gloves, a visor and mask!

Calistemon Fri 26-Nov-21 14:11:35

99% of the time I will still wipe down food with anti bacterial wipes to put items away, & then worktops/cupboard handles etc then to wash my hands

Anti-bacterial wipes will not kill a virus.

sazz1 Fri 26-Nov-21 14:14:03

Haven't caught covid yet. Never wiped shopping or parcels. Staying in a lot as only need to go out once a week. OH does most of the shopping

sodapop Fri 26-Nov-21 14:19:54

I think that was inconsiderate to the driver. His round would take forever if everyone did that. Quite unnecessary as well.
No home deliveries here, we just shop as usual but less frequently. Hand washing and sanitising is the way to go. Anti bacterial wipes are not effective against a virus as Calistemon said. I think it's more of a feel good factor to wipe down surfaces etc.

Oofy Fri 26-Nov-21 14:50:02

Don’t think Dettol would be allowed to put this on its packaging if not true. Maybe Covid19 is the 0.1% not killed. More of an issue is that you are unlikely to wipe the nooks and crannies of the entire package of every item. Coronavirus persists for 3 days on plastic and metal, and about 24 hours on paper and cardboard, apparently, or so I have read

Calistemon Fri 26-Nov-21 14:56:32

Oofy yes, I can see it claims to kill viruses too.
Some posters kept mentioning eliminating bacteria.

polnan Fri 26-Nov-21 15:00:39

Here`s a question then...

if the virus is not attaching to items , ie. goods delivered,
why do we have to wash our hands after handling?

Anyone? I just think too much

GillT57 Fri 26-Nov-21 15:09:35

I have never wiped my shopping as I don't generally lick or eat the packaging. I wash my hands thoroughly after I have done my quick scan shop, as I always did before covid19. It strikes me as a bit obsessive to wipe every packet and tin, but each to their own!

GraceQuirrel Fri 26-Nov-21 16:00:00

Covid doesn’t live on surfaces!!! How many times do people need telling? These people who have an obsession with wiping things must have an anxiety condition about lots of things. How inconsiderate towards the driver and as the the above comment about someone saying they have to get back inside as they all have covid!!! That is disgusting treatment of people who have to continue to work during lock downs and a pandemic. Just who do they think they are???

Yammy Fri 26-Nov-21 17:33:34

We get a different driver each week from Sainsbury's.They bring the shopping in large crates to the porch door and we unload it into washing baskets which were recommended by them last year. I put it away disinfect the baskets and the table and wash my hands. I've never left the poor things on the step waiting. They are on a tight schedule.
Though I do know people who disinfect every item when they get it indoors and are disgusted with me for putting it on a table. It saves all the bending.

nipsmum Fri 26-Nov-21 18:38:53

My Tesco delivery comes every 4 weeks. In 20 years I've never wiped anything and there is no good reason I can see for doing it now. If something has leaked then it is taken away and refunded immediately.