Gransnet forums

AIBU

Charging family for Christmas lunch

(263 Posts)
Mapleleaf Sat 04-Dec-21 19:14:27

Now, is it just me, and this is the way things are done nowadays so I’m behind the times? Had invitation for Christmas lunch at a family members home, along with other family members, but the person doing the lunch requests all who would like to attend pay them x amount for the privilege, to cover the costs of the food and drink (this includes their parents having to pay, too).

Now, whenever I’ve hosted Christmas lunch, or other events, I’ve never asked the ones I invite to pay for the privilege of eating with me. Some have offered to bring something along - perhaps a dessert, some cheese, a bottle of wine, etc, which was welcome and kind- but this was never an expectation on my part, and I certainly wouldn’t have it as a condition of them being able to come, my view being that I was offering an invitation to join us for lunch or tea, not expecting them to pay or bring something as a condition for coming to it.

I will also add that the people asking for this donation have had, and continue to have, many things given to them without expectation of recompense, over the year, (every year) from many members of the family they are inviting. I think it’s especially poor that they are charging their parents, who always see them “alright” over the year.

Those invited also help with the preparation of the meal and the tidying up afterwards, plus they bring along “extras”.

The ones doing the inviting earn a high income between them - considerably more than those they are inviting to lunch (indeed, the majority are now on a low pension).

They also like to host a buffet and boozy get together on Boxing Day night for their friends and neighbours, using what’s left of the food and drink their family have paid for for their Christmas lunch, which I think is an incredible cheek (or is that just me?) - surely, if there were left overs, those invited for Christmas lunch should be having goody bags to take home left overs for which they have paid, not leaving it as a freebie for these friends and neighbours of the host.

Now, maybe I am being “bah, humbug”, but this charging doesn’t sit easily with me, although many family members have accepted the invitation with this charge (though not everyone).

So, am I being unreasonable to think this is not right, or am I completely old fashioned and behind the times? It’s just I thought such invitations to go to family for lunch were just that - invitations, with no provisos. Therefore, if you can’t afford to host a meal for extended family members, then you don’t offer to host one?

GillT57 Sat 04-Dec-21 20:03:35

Asking people to provide something specific such as wine or cheese or dessert is fair I think but asking for financial contributions is vulgar and crass to my mind

Mapleleaf Sat 04-Dec-21 20:05:57

Well, to be honest, freedomfromthepast, I think if I was in your situation and finding it too expensive to host, I would say so and say I’m sorry but I can’t host it this year. Your family would surely understand, and if they didn’t, then really, that would be their problem, not yours.

The thing is, as a family, we have always contributed food or drink to family get together, including Christmas, so for example, someone would bring a trifle or other dessert, someone might bring cheese, another might pay for the meat, someone else brings wine, etc.

I think I just find their request to family to pay a set amount of money when said family voluntarily help them out with lots of things over the year, bizarre and a bit of a cheek, (especially charging their parents). If they really can’t afford it, then they shouldn’t offer in the first place, I feel.

They don’t have young children to consider, either.

ValerieF Sat 04-Dec-21 20:08:44

Not sure how “close” this family is. Am assuming they aren’t organizing a massive family reunion in a hotel? If not, and in a house, I wouldn’t go either. I’ve arranged many family Christmas dinners over the years and would not have expected anyone I invited to contribute for the meal ( anything they did contribute was entirely voluntary) IF any of them asked me for payment now, I wouldn’t say anything but would politely be engaged elsewhere ?

Calistemon Sat 04-Dec-21 20:08:57

LauraNorderr

Never heard anything like it before. YANBU
Weird

When you lived in Australia, did people bring a dish to a buffet lunch or dinner? That seemed to me to be a good idea, particularly if someone is hosting large numbers.

I think that might just be acceptable here if it's a close family member, eg "Mum, do you mind bringing a pudding, you're so good at puddings" grin

But charging? Unless they're doing it for charity - No.

Babyshark Sat 04-Dec-21 20:11:51

We pay my mum every year. We used to all bring something along but not only is she a better cook, I think she prefers having it all under control.

She hosts every year and we all gladly throw the cash at her (not literally) because the food and drink from start to finish, is incredible.

I think it’s horses for courses. It’s an expensive day and we don’t want her to be out of pocket every year.

If we ever couldn’t pay though it’s not like we would be uninvited.

sodapop Sat 04-Dec-21 20:12:19

Is it deja vu or have we had this thread before, maybe a different poster.

I agree with GillT57 asking guests to bring dessert or wine etc is fine but asking for payment is crass.

freedomfromthepast Sat 04-Dec-21 20:12:36

Septimia

I can see your point of view freedomfromthepast, but there are other ways of doing it if costs are becoming prohibitive. A shared meal is one, with everyone bringing a contribution. Or simply inviting fewer people.

We typically do a shared meal septimia. I still shoulder the most of the cost, which I do not mind doing.

Fewer guests may be a solution yes, but I know my family would never let me hear the end of it if I left someone out. I am then put into a situation where I am damned if I do, and damned if I don't.

Honestly, I can't please everyone. If I ask for a shared meal, someone will complain because I had the nerve to ask them to bring something. If I ask for money contribution, someone will complain about that. If I decrease my guest list size, that will upset someone else.

When I give up and stop hosting all together, everyone will sit back and complain and wonder what happened to having the family get togethers for the holidays and why don't we do that any longer. smile

When the cost of the meal, including guests bringing a dish, is = to the cost of a weeks groceries for a family of 4, decisions have to be made. I have not, in the 15 years I have been hosting, asked for financial contribution. I am just looking at it from a different viewpoint, one that is, unfortunately, going to be more common if inflation continues to grow where I am.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Dec-21 20:15:51

The hosts need to cut their coat according to the cloth they have. If they can't afford to host, then don't. If guests offer to chip in with contributions, that's fine and I'm sure they'd be gratefully received but asking for cash payment, in order to attend, is crass and cheap. I'd not want to spend any part of my Christmas or any other time with people like this.

freedomfromthepast Sat 04-Dec-21 20:19:40

Mapleleaf, we cross posted. my above post explains exactly what would happen if I chose not to host.

With my family, though, if I said to them that I could not afford to host, they would all pitch in without issue. They would rather help pay for the meal than to stop seeing each other for the holidays. But every family is different.

I am just trying to offer up a different viewpoint on the matter, that is all. Each family has to do what works for them.

I would still give them all the leftovers and not use them for another party. That is just uncouth.

Mapleleaf Sat 04-Dec-21 20:19:51

I’ll also add, that in previous years, these same people have been to family Christmas meals and other meals, hosted by other family members (those they are inviting to them this year at a charge) without any charge imposed on them whatsoever, plus they’ve been given leftovers to take home, and happily accepted. Charging has never entered our heads, so where they’ve got the idea from, goodness knows, but they’ve got conveniently short memories regarding the freely given generosity of said family members to them.

freedomfromthepast Sat 04-Dec-21 20:22:12

Chewbacca you make a good point which I did not take into consideration. I would not ask for a per person fee for a meal. If I needed it, I would ask for any contribution anyone could make. If someone did not, they would not be turned away.

Calistemon Sat 04-Dec-21 20:23:34

freedomfromthepast

Goodness! M&S do lovely meals for one (and some farm shops do too!).

They should realise there comes a time when you just can't physically do it and younger family members can take over.

mokryna Sat 04-Dec-21 20:25:23

Forty-five odd years ago we celebrated New Year with a quite a few friends. We were not rich and it was agreed from the start that we would all equally chip in but that wasn’t Christmas with family.

I have done, like most of gransnetters hold Christmas dinners or lunches with many round the table. Fourteen this year if daughter and boyfriend can hop over, but everyone will be bringing something alcohol, starters and dessert.
I would feel very hurt if they asked me to pay for my part at theirs and then to add salt in into the wound use the leftovers with their friends.
As I live in a flat, close family do clear the table so that they can sit in the armchairs, which have been put aside for the meal.

Mapleleaf Sat 04-Dec-21 20:25:36

That’s fine, freedom, and I think I’m probably not putting things across very well, but as a family, we have always pitched in by bringing various things to the gatherings we have, but we’ve never charged a fee to each other, and it’s the charging a fee to attend that I find very bizarre, and I wonder where they’ve got the idea to do so from.

H1954 Sat 04-Dec-21 20:25:55

Oh for goodness sake, whatever next?!!
I would never dream of charging anyone who I had invited over for dinner!
Yes, it's nice if someone offers to bring dessert or some extra special wine etc but to actually charge guests..........NO! Not in my home!
Now, if the host were to ask for a cash donation to a charity ......that would be a different matter altogether.

Calendargirl Sat 04-Dec-21 20:30:40

Mapleleaf

I’m quite interested in how ‘close’ these family members are to you. Are they cousins, nephews and nieces, in laws?
I assume from your post they are not siblings, but might be incorrect on that?

ValerieF Sat 04-Dec-21 20:34:49

Freedom from the past? Probably not the best name for this thread eh? “NO freedom” springs to mind.

So you provide and can’t afford to but say you don’t mind? Which is it?
So what if everyone wonders where their thanksgiving dinner is? Let THEM provide it. ? not even sure I could go there. Just tell them you can’t afford it! Then disappear to a lakeside retreat and leave them to it ???

Urmstongran Sat 04-Dec-21 20:44:46

I think it’s cheeky and insensitive.

JulieNoted Sat 04-Dec-21 20:46:21

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was invited to a baby shower - and charged £15 for the privilege shock. Given that the general idea of a baby shower is that the mother-to-be is 'showered' with gifts for the baby, I thought this was shockingly rude. The parents-to-be are both high earners, and wanted the baby shower to be held in a high class venue, but clearly didn't want to have to foot the bill themselves.

Oddly enough, the parents-to-be organised the whole thing themselves - I imagine they were worried that leaving it to a friend to arrange, as is usually the case, might have meant lowering their standards.

mokryna Sat 04-Dec-21 20:46:34

Mapleleaf Maybe, there are other's who will not be going who could spend Christmas together with you. Might set the cat among the pigeons but you can’t be dictated to and forced to be alone.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Dec-21 21:00:18

I think it depends really. If they are asking for £5 or £50, if they are good cooks or not, if they are inviting 2 or 20.

If they have decided to invite lots of family who are elderly, would be alone or whatever and it is going to be a financial stretch for them then fair enough.

Too many variables really.

Kali2 Sat 04-Dec-21 21:00:49

Calendargirl

Mapleleaf

I’m quite interested in how ‘close’ these family members are to you. Are they cousins, nephews and nieces, in laws?
I assume from your post they are not siblings, but might be incorrect on that?

Same question. A niece here organises a big do at Chrismas for about 30 people- not just parents and children- but older aunts, uncles, friends who would be lonely otherwise. We provide the venue for free, and are with them if we are not in the UK. It was decided years ago that it was just too much for the same people to bear not only the organisation, but the cost as well. So it is all totted up and divided by number of participants (with discretion, if it is known some member or other can't contribute) - and everyone is happy.

It's always the same niece who organises it, why should she have to put in all the hard work, and bear the cost for 30? Fair enough, I say. Just depends how it is done.

theworriedwell Sat 04-Dec-21 21:01:30

JulieNoted

A couple of years ago a friend of mine was invited to a baby shower - and charged £15 for the privilege shock. Given that the general idea of a baby shower is that the mother-to-be is 'showered' with gifts for the baby, I thought this was shockingly rude. The parents-to-be are both high earners, and wanted the baby shower to be held in a high class venue, but clearly didn't want to have to foot the bill themselves.

Oddly enough, the parents-to-be organised the whole thing themselves - I imagine they were worried that leaving it to a friend to arrange, as is usually the case, might have meant lowering their standards.

Can't have been that high class if £15 a head covered it.

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-Dec-21 21:04:45

They appear to be the highest earners which would make it seem 10 times worse. I also would refuse to go but if people do go they should strip the table of food after the meal, after all, they have paid for it so have a right to take something home for their own meal the next day.

BlueBelle Sat 04-Dec-21 21:04:52

Never heard anyone in my circle doing that thankfully in fact never heard of it at all
No I wouldn’t attend blooming cheek
Not for me