Gransnet forums

AIBU

Moved over 100 miles, AIBU

(82 Posts)
Daftbag1 Thu 30-Dec-21 13:28:58

At the end of July, my husband and I were lucky enough to be offered a council bungalow within 10 miles of our DD, SIL, DGD, & DGS. This was a move that we'd hoped for for a few years and would enable us to have much more contact and support with them all, and for them to be able to support us a little (I have both mental and physical problems).

Anyway we moved in and spent time and money on making our little bungalow our home. Then out of the blue in November our daughter came over and announced that she was divorcing her husband of 17 years on the grounds of domestic abuse. To say we were and indeed still are shocked was an understatement, but sadly somehow we were not surprised.

We tried to support her, helped her to open a bank account, to claim benefits, and find a new home for her and the children. At some point she went to the police and told them about her marriage and they have taken it much further.

But amidst all of this she introduced a new man, he was a boyfriend from childhood. Within a week of separating from her husband this boyfriend started to appear, staying with our DD.

Then. A few weeks ago, she started to talk about moving out of this area completely, to move with the new man!

We are both really hurt. We have done everything to support her, we moved from a home that we were perfectly settled in to be closer to her, and she is preparing to move away.
Here we have no support network, and once she goes with the children no one. We are in a remote village and already feeling lonely. We feel completely used AIBU?

ElaineI Thu 30-Dec-21 23:10:32

You are being unreasonable

ElaineI Thu 30-Dec-21 23:11:38

Last comment for Gwyneth

blue25 Thu 30-Dec-21 23:25:38

It’s really not a good idea to follow your children around. Live your own life where you have friends & a social life.

Your daughter has done nothing wrong. It just doesn’t fit in with what you want. Let her get on with it & don’t make her feel guilty.

Secondwind Fri 31-Dec-21 10:48:55

YABU = You are being unreasonable.

I do feel for you, but unfortunately people’s lives often take unexpected turns. Set a date to review things when the dust has settled a bit more.

Larsonsmum Fri 31-Dec-21 10:50:06

Sad for you, but this demonstrates the risk of moving closer to offspring, who for numerous reasons may move on elsewhere.

Now you need to focus on making a life for yourselves in your new community.

VANECAM Fri 31-Dec-21 10:52:34

grandtanteJE65

Like many women with abusive husbands, your daughter has concealed how bad her marriage really was for 17 years.

Either she is a very good actress, or you and she were never very close for this to be at all possible.

Can you truly say you never once suspected something was badly wrong in her life?

You and your husband moved nearer your daughter and her husband for two reasons, one because you wanted to be nearer them, and the second because you hoped she would provide help and support with your health issues.

I am very much afraid that none of you thought all this through before you moved.

Your daughter finally found the courage to tell you what was going on in her life and to divorce her husband.

You helped and supported her, but you cannot and should not expect her to live the rest of her life, or rather of yours, tailored to your needs.

I could be afraid that she has started a new relationship far too soon, but moving away from the place where she lived formerly and WHERE HER ABUSIVE FORMER HUSBAND KNOWS HE CAN FIND HER is the most sensible thing she could possibly do,

He has obviously been very violent if the police were "willing to take things further" as you put it. Be happy that your daughter is removing herself from the vicinity and promise me that if your former SIL turns up, you will not tell him where she is.

I don't think she has used you - anymore than I was hinting that you were using, or intending to use her.

There has been an unfortunate lack of openess between you and her, which as I said to start with is usual on the behalf of those living with abusive spouses. I find it harder to understand that you and her father did not realise years ago that something was badly wrong in your daughter's life, but these things happen.

Could you afford to move back to where you came from?

If not, start making a life for the pair of you that is not centred on your daughter. Sorry if this last sentence sounds harsh - it wasn't meant so, but I frankly cannot find a nicer way of putting it.

Since men too suffer abuse and will too keep it hidden, your opening sentence ought instead to read:

“Like many people in abusive relationships”

NemosMum Fri 31-Dec-21 11:04:41

This is sad, of course, but underlines the need to improve your own life, and not rely on adult children and grandchildren to fill the empty spaces. Your daughter has had to deal with a dreadful situation, and she may or may not be wise in her proposed move, but she is an adult and she has to get on with it. Surely you didn't offer help just because you were expecting payback? Try and make the best of your life where you are: join a local community choir; join the WI; join a church if you are religious etc.etc. You call yourself a stroke 'victim'. You are no more a victim than anyone is of any medical condition. My work involved rehabilitation of people who'd had strokes. As clinicians, we were always struck by how well our patients did if they were determined and stoical. I've had experience of this in the family too. Concentrate on what you can do, what you can contribute to your community and wish your daughter well in her new life away from her abuser.

red1 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:04:47

you were not to know your daughter was going to split.So being near them made sense.In an ideal world the years we spent raising them is returned in some way.Sadly life seldom works out as we planned.For your daughter to go straight to someone so soo, is not rational, people need time to adjust/grieve for what has gone. Your story highlights the almost knee jerk reaction we have when family move away.One of my sons moved to northern ireland without an ounce of concern for my wellbeing,the other son i feel may emigrate to canada at some point. i often wonder we should have the mentality of animals-off they go! i would move back to where your support was.

Philippa111 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:08:13

I'm so sorry this hasn't worked out as you had hoped Daftbag. Very disappointing for you. I've known people who moved to be near their children and it never seems to have worked out too well. The children are younger and not totally settled and as has happened to you their lives can change.

It does seem soon to be moving in with a new partner elsewhere but as someone else pointed out it may be the only way your daughter can feel safe if her husband was abusive. And also it is someone she's known for a long time which is a nice thing for her. Who knows he may have had lots of feelings for her over the years and she, him. She will be in a difficult place herself after having been in an abusive situation.

Here is a new opportunity to get to know people in your new environment. Why not invite your neighbour(s) to show you any nice walks in the local area, offer to meet up for a coffee, etc? And I'm sure you could get some support by sharing your situation with people there. People are generally willing to be of help, especially in small communities. Can you phone your friends where you used to live and share with them? I don't think your daughter will be in a situation to offer you support right now, she has too much to deal with ,within herself.

If there is no going back, how things turn out now will be about how you approach things. And compared to your daughter you are in a good and safe situation. I think she might need your love and concern right now but if you yourself don't feel you have support, its difficult to offer it. How about speaking with the local doctor and see if they could find some counselling support for you? I wish you well. Not an easy time.

henetha Fri 31-Dec-21 11:12:58

I can understand how you feel. I would feel the same I think.
But she hasn't done this on purpose, it's just that her life has changed. It's always a risk if we move to be near our children.
Understandable but risky.
So just support her, wish her all the best, and then get on with making your own life happy and fulfilling.
Sending you good wishes for the new year.

lizzypopbottle Fri 31-Dec-21 11:17:34

This is the reason I won't move to be 'permanently' nearer any of my adult children. I would know no one but them in a new area and, if their circumstances changed and they moved away, I'd be high and dry and seriously out of pocket, too. My friends and regular activities are here and here I'll stay. Needless to say, I visit as often as I can and it's always a wrench to leave but my life is here.

No help to OP unfortunately but I agree with those who say the daughter has to make her own way.

Lulu16 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:18:20

Just be pleased that hopefully she is making a new start somewhere else for her happiness.
When you visit her in the new area, it will be a different place for you to explore.
Now will be a good time to start making connections to your own village.
Twists and turns happen in life, you never know what is around the corner.....
(speaking as someone who moved nearer to son, then he found a new love of his life and moved somewhere else!)

jaylucy Fri 31-Dec-21 11:19:45

You moved for all the right reasons and really had no idea of how it would pan out shortly after you started to settle.
We can't comment on the speed that your daughter has formed a new relationship after the breakdown of her marriage - she may well have been in a very unhappy situation for some time, without your knowledge and perhaps meeting up with the old flame gave her the impetus to end the situation.
Whatever happened, you surely have to be happy that her life will hopefully be a lot better in the future, and you must understand that moving away from somewhere that holds bad memories may help her and the GC.
I can only suggest that you can either stay where you are and make a new life for yourselves , or go back to the council and explain the situation and either request a move back to your previous area or where your daughter makes a new home but just to warn you, they may not be too sympathetic!
You need to wait and see what your daughter finally does - her move may not happen when she has had time to think about her future and she will need you for your continued support.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:25:54

Oh, that’s so sad, but you can never make any decisions based on someone else’s lifestyle. Things happen, and you can never predict that.

You’ve made your lovely bungalow into a little home...now you have to do the same with your lives, and let your daughter live hers.

Cossy Fri 31-Dec-21 11:26:07

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable but I do think you’ve not looked or thought of things through her perspective. Perhaps she felt she needed to put distance physically between her old life and new. Personally I’d be more worried about her and a new relationship so soon after a long and abusive marriage. I wish you all the best

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:26:33

I hope you don’t have the same mindset as red1
you have the chance to make a life in your home that you say you have spent time on, as the others have said, time to take new opportunities in your neighbourhood and stop thinking of what might have been.
It doesn’t matter how you got where you are, what matters now is moving forward, you also say that your DD hasn’t moved yet, maybe it will take some time for her to sort herself out, so you have time to get involved in your local area.
Please don’t make your DD feel guilty for getting herself and her children to a safer place.

bipgrizzo Fri 31-Dec-21 11:28:42

grandtanteJE65

Like many women with abusive husbands, your daughter has concealed how bad her marriage really was for 17 years.

Either she is a very good actress, or you and she were never very close for this to be at all possible.

Can you truly say you never once suspected something was badly wrong in her life?

You and your husband moved nearer your daughter and her husband for two reasons, one because you wanted to be nearer them, and the second because you hoped she would provide help and support with your health issues.

I am very much afraid that none of you thought all this through before you moved.

Your daughter finally found the courage to tell you what was going on in her life and to divorce her husband.

You helped and supported her, but you cannot and should not expect her to live the rest of her life, or rather of yours, tailored to your needs.

I could be afraid that she has started a new relationship far too soon, but moving away from the place where she lived formerly and WHERE HER ABUSIVE FORMER HUSBAND KNOWS HE CAN FIND HER is the most sensible thing she could possibly do,

He has obviously been very violent if the police were "willing to take things further" as you put it. Be happy that your daughter is removing herself from the vicinity and promise me that if your former SIL turns up, you will not tell him where she is.

I don't think she has used you - anymore than I was hinting that you were using, or intending to use her.

There has been an unfortunate lack of openess between you and her, which as I said to start with is usual on the behalf of those living with abusive spouses. I find it harder to understand that you and her father did not realise years ago that something was badly wrong in your daughter's life, but these things happen.

Could you afford to move back to where you came from?

If not, start making a life for the pair of you that is not centred on your daughter. Sorry if this last sentence sounds harsh - it wasn't meant so, but I frankly cannot find a nicer way of putting it.

This is perfect.

Awesomegranny Fri 31-Dec-21 11:34:12

Unfortunately your daughter is so wrapped up in this new found happiness and relived to be away from the abusive marriage, little thought has gone into thinking long term. To up sticks so quickly as she has done I just hope it works out for her.
Yes it is a shame you moved suppose you have a few choices 1.stay put and get to know new people, no doubt there is a local support network the local village hall or GP’s is a good starting place.
2 Try and swop and move back to where you where.
3. Is there somewhere you always wanted to live, why not a totally fresh start?
I think to expect to burden yourself on your children personally isn’t fair especially when they’ve their own difficulties. Recently I moved to a new area to get away from an abusive partner, knowing no one but I’ve found people to be welcoming when joining local groups like U3A, WI . There is no way I’d want my children to run around after me.
Hope things work out for you

CarlyD7 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:35:13

Could echo so much of what others have said especially grandtanteJE65. In addition - Bungalow are as rare as hen's teeth in the UK today so I'm sure you would have no problem in moving again. It's always a risk moving nearer to adult children - I've seen so many such moves go wrong (one friend was in the middle of a house purchase when her SIL suddenly announced he had been offered a job 200 miles away and had decided to take it!) Far better to stay put and develop support networks locally. I would say to think about where YOU want to live, regardless of where your daughter ends up. (And BTW, it may be a rebound relationship or not, but the fact that she knew him from school is a good first step; it's not a totally new relationship). This has obviously come as a terrible shock. I'm sorry.

Buffy Fri 31-Dec-21 11:42:16

Firstly, you’re relatively young and in spite of your medical issues, have every possibility of settling down happily in your new location if you give it a try.
You did say you weren’t totally surprised at the outcome of your daughter’s marriage. Do you think you had a need to be wanted by her and didn’t think about the possibility that if things went wrong she might relocate? At least you have one another. I feel for all parents whose offspring have moved to the other side of the world. It doesn’t sound as though she’s gone too far. Anne 701951 says it all.
Stay positive and hope that she finds happiness wherever she goes.

Jess20 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:44:18

Must be upsetting but I wonder if your move and added support may perhaps have lent her the extra bit of strength she needed to remove herself from this abusive relationship. Don't forget people in the grip of abusive and controlling relationships don't always think clearly and rationally and she may not have had the capacity to process all the potential issues before you moved. She may also need to make a clean break with him for safety reasons. I'd also be concerned about her new relationship in case she's walking into something before having a chance to take a breath and think about what's best for her. You're on the internet so maybe you can find a local neighbourhood group to join like 'Nextdoor', I've made lovely friends like this, just starting with a meeting for a walk, or possibly coffee in a local café, or possibly some volunteering - hopefully covid will become less restriction soon and there may be a good life to have in your village if you are open to the possibility. Hope you find some peace of mind in your new home.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 31-Dec-21 11:44:23

I get your point Vanecam, as I am aware that men too can be victims of spousal abuse, but we were talking about a woman here.

Yes, sadly women are abused by their spouses as are men irrespective of whether the abusive spouse, or the victim, is male or female.

I just get so tired of this "politically correct" trend where we barely can write an intelligible sentence any more as we have to hedge it around with he/she or idiotic pronouncements such as "people giving birth"!

I was not saying that all abusive spouses are men and all who suffer abuse women, I was discussing the case in point.

hilz Fri 31-Dec-21 11:45:57

Whilst I would love to live closer to our children we would find it hard to lose the friendships we have here and the familiarity of everything close by. So for now we will stay put but if ever we did move it would not be with the expectation that our childrens life choices could never take them where ever they like and we would accept the challenge of making new friendships and exploring new places. We could always visit friends and reconnect with all our familiar places and then maybe have the best of both worlds ..Hmm food for thought.

sandelf Fri 31-Dec-21 11:49:32

We act on what we think we know. You thought your daughter's relationship was stable. She is trying to find her way out of it. Neither of you know all about what could happen in the future. Make your own new life as good as you can but still be kind to your daughter. As ever, 'one day at a time'. In the end we are all muddling through.

Shelflife Fri 31-Dec-21 11:52:12

It is what it is , please don't feel your daughter has used you. I can understand why you didn't know how unhappy your daughter was , you say you were not surprised when you
learnt the extent of abuse, you may well have had doubts about your SIL and never really liked him but out of respect for your daughter you tolerated him - I get that !! We all like to think we have close relationships with AC but many parents are suprised when they discover that is not the case. Our AC have their own lives and we are only aware of a proportion of that. Your DD was probably protecting you and hoping things would improve. Please let her fly with your blessing, make the most of where you are or take steps to return to your previous area . I eush you and your DH good luck .