Gransnet forums

AIBU

Which foods,, toiletries etc do you miss which are no longer available?

(273 Posts)
Poppyjo Sun 23-Jan-22 20:08:37

For me it is the root of the celery which we used to fight over, bacon rind (very hard to find), banana toffee which stuck to your teeth and blancmange/symington table creams. Ponds face cream, and Armani hair gel. The gel would be so thick sometimes it had to be washed out! Guess I’m giving my age away ?

BigBertha1 Sun 23-Jan-22 22:39:18

Maggie Noire perfume by Lancome. Nuxbars. Cup cakes...the old fashioned kind. Neapolitan ice cream. Astral soap. Dreft soap flakes

Esspee Sun 23-Jan-22 22:50:31

Ponds Vanishing Cream used to leave a smooth Matt finish and minimised pores. I wish they would bring it back.

Lilypops Sun 23-Jan-22 22:56:34

ixion

Clarnico mint creams☹️

Oh I remember Clarnico mint creams , I loved them , they were very minty ,

Spinnaker Sun 23-Jan-22 22:58:30

Old English Spangles in the black wrapper.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Jan-22 23:07:50

Old Jamaica chocolate bars.
At least I seem to think that's what they were called.

ixion Sun 23-Jan-22 23:19:09

Kunzel cakes!

Mrsluckhurst Sun 23-Jan-22 23:24:52

The chocolate/candy box Weekend. Cheese with the rind on. Proper cheesecake with sultanas.

Shelflife Sun 23-Jan-22 23:36:23

MiniMoon, I remember 5 boys chocolate. My twin and I went to Sunday school and the practice was that on a child's birthday the child sat on a white chair ( very special! ) everyone sang Happy Birthday and was given 5 boys chocolate. Of course on our birthday two white chairs appeared. Happy days .

Pudding123 Sun 23-Jan-22 23:36:44

I bought Old Jamaica just before Christmas at Home Bargains..it was just as I remembered it.£1 a bar.

MiniMoon Sun 23-Jan-22 23:41:19

Tutti frutti ice cream.
My children used to love Symingtons table cream, the maple and walnut flavour.
Koolose (sp) orange fizzy drink powder in a jar. I think it was superseded by Cremola Foam.

MiniMoon Sun 23-Jan-22 23:45:53

Marshall Farola. Fine semolina ina dark green box. Can you still buy it in Scotland? Asda used to sell it, but they don't seem to now.

MissAdventure Mon 24-Jan-22 00:10:09

Pudding123

I bought Old Jamaica just before Christmas at Home Bargains..it was just as I remembered it.£1 a bar.

Ooh thank you. smile
Hope I can get there and buy a few one, too.

I can't really remember the taste, but I know it was strong and made me dribble!

Purplepixie Mon 24-Jan-22 00:49:57

I used to love the smell of Ashes of Gardenia by Goya - such memories! My friend bought me a perfume called Witchery by a company called Vanda - similar to Avon at the time.

I used to love the chocolate bar Tiffin and also Nux.

Purplepixie Mon 24-Jan-22 01:02:30

Can anyone remember those snowflake Easter eggs from a few years ago? Part white chocolate and part milk chocolate. They were gorgeous and very moorish.

Poppyjo Mon 24-Jan-22 05:06:24

I used to use their hairspray. Loved it

Blondiescot Mon 24-Jan-22 07:09:15

MiniMoon

Thought of another,
Proper potted meat. What happened to that?

You can still buy it here in Scotland.

JaneJudge Mon 24-Jan-22 07:12:15

The bacon my milkman delivers has the rind on

ayse Mon 24-Jan-22 07:16:40

Callard and Bowser toffees. They were square, soft, creamy and chewy. Grandad used to buy them in a white paper bag by the quarter pound from a jar.

M0nica Mon 24-Jan-22 07:28:27

I have never seen bacon without the rind, except when I have cut it off. All the bacon I buy has the rind on.

Kittye Mon 24-Jan-22 07:42:31

Many things. Recently, Clarins lipstick in ‘fig” colour. Givenchy perfume Dahlia Noir. Have yet to find another lipstick or perfume I really like ☹️

Lincslass Mon 24-Jan-22 07:54:38

MiniMoon

Thought of another,
Proper potted meat. What happened to that?

Look for a local butcher. Ours still make their own, and also sell beef dripping.

LullyDully Mon 24-Jan-22 08:11:46

Body shop when it belonged to Anita Roddick. They used to take the bottles back. Their peppermint foot cream was wonderful. Of course I never go in now, so maybe they still do it.

GrandmaSeaDragon Mon 24-Jan-22 08:21:21

Royal Scot biscuits and those thinner ones with the hole in the middle, crispy/shortcakey, not iced, can’t remember name! All the different favoured Spangles and the baker coming to the door with an enormous basket of freshly baked bread. Can still remember that taste 65 years later! Also being forced to take Virol (don’t know if it’s still available, but never, ever again!).

kittylester Mon 24-Jan-22 08:46:25

Caramac! We used to go to the village pub which had an 'off' window and buy one between us. The current stuff is far too sweet.

Jezra Mon 24-Jan-22 20:28:08

Ah yes,
Five Boys Chocolate
Clarnico Mint Creams
Kanebo Make Up