Gransnet forums

AIBU

Billboard advert - what do you think?

(123 Posts)
SuzyG Thu 27-Jan-22 10:00:55

I'm wondering how others feel about this billboard advert in our local supermarket car park please? Am I over-reacting because I don't like the example it sets to our grandchildren?

Serendipity22 Thu 27-Jan-22 13:56:57

Hahahahahahaha...

Hilarious Fanny

dustyangel Thu 27-Jan-22 16:28:51

I don’t like the billboard ad either but as regard the Pub sign, has nobody heard of “Ride a cock horse to Banbury Cross”?

M0nica Fri 28-Jan-22 11:30:00

If the company is well known locally for its sheep jokes, then the advert works.

It just doesn't work for anyone who is not local.

Riggie Fri 28-Jan-22 11:41:12

It doesn't bother me at all. Yes it's inferring a swear word but doesn't say it, children are either going to be too young to know what it is inferring or if they know then they will have heard the word anyway.

cfmp Fri 28-Jan-22 11:51:09

Very poor taste. Would never use a company advertising in such a way.

Mamma7 Fri 28-Jan-22 11:52:00

Don’t like it, didn’t like FCUK either - gratuitous.

soldiersailor Fri 28-Jan-22 12:03:24

The Cock pub sign is similar to one outside the pub known as the Cock Horse (I believe, as it's quite a few years since I passed by) which is just outside Chipperfield, Herts. I suspect the Cock is near quite a steep hill which would indicate that it was here that they kept an additional horse - a cock horse - that could be harnessed to help pull heavy loads up that hill. That's certainly the case in Herts.

As for the reference to 'What are you looking at,' etc I'm no delicate rose, plus I'm male and served many years with the armed forces and I find it unnecessary and distasteful.

janipans Fri 28-Jan-22 12:04:24

I wonder how much they paid to their advertising agent/company to come up with that flocking rubbish? There must be an angle on people flocking to buy these properties they could exploit - but this is sadly not it! I wonder what Alan Sugar would make of it? "Gratuitous" "Badly thought out" "Why risk offending a proportion of people who could be potential customers" Definitely the finger from me!

GeorgieF Fri 28-Jan-22 12:12:49

Get a grip, it's word play for humour, it's not going to threaten the moral position of the masses by using another word instead of a naughty one, we all do it all of the time. Basically it's better saying 'gosh' than 'fuck'
If you can't get that concept over to your kids, there's no hope, it's not complex.

And 'cock' is short for 'cockerel' which is a male chicken, that's just so difficult too.

Tinydancer Fri 28-Jan-22 12:29:22

I think that the original phrase is often portrayed in films, tv and possibly when happens in real life is very aggressive.
Don't we already have enough problems with aggression. You only have to read or listen to the news headlines to sadly be aware of that.

Mummer Fri 28-Jan-22 12:35:34

If you think this is remotely"funny" you must be from the south!? It's verging on offensive and illegal , seriously cringeworthy and totally stinks of adolescent smutty giggling upper class twit thinking?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 28-Jan-22 12:41:23

Why are you picking on people from the south? What a ridiculous thing to say.

Riverwalk Fri 28-Jan-22 12:49:30

It's an amusing play on words - estate agents don't have a good reputation anyway.

I wouldn't be impressed if a professional firm e.g. solicitors or accountants used it.

Issipy Fri 28-Jan-22 12:49:31

Tasteless...unlike British lamb!

Riverwalk Fri 28-Jan-22 12:50:09

Mummer

If you think this is remotely"funny" you must be from the south!? It's verging on offensive and illegal , seriously cringeworthy and totally stinks of adolescent smutty giggling upper class twit thinking?

And you must be a chippy northerner!

Esspee Fri 28-Jan-22 12:52:48

I would think it would backfire on them. I, for one, would never consider using that company's services.

Libman Fri 28-Jan-22 14:12:09

FannyCornforth

We often drive past this pub (one of the best in Derbyshire).

Its sign always makes me smile, but it must instigate some very awkward child / parent conversations!

There used to be one near where I lived called ‘The Cockett Inn’. Never got any easier to refer to…..?

FannyCornforth Fri 28-Jan-22 14:22:25

GeorgieF

Get a grip, it's word play for humour, it's not going to threaten the moral position of the masses by using another word instead of a naughty one, we all do it all of the time. Basically it's better saying 'gosh' than 'fuck'
If you can't get that concept over to your kids, there's no hope, it's not complex.

And 'cock' is short for 'cockerel' which is a male chicken, that's just so difficult too.

Thank you for explaining the word ‘cock’ for us.
I had no absolutely idea hmm

Blondiescot Fri 28-Jan-22 14:33:08

Zoejory

Not hugely bothered by it pesonally

But it's done its job. It has people talking about it. Which is what advertisers want.

This, exactly. Doesn't bother me in the slightest, but it's certainly done the job it was intended to do!

tictacnana Fri 28-Jan-22 14:33:23

It’s not even that funny. Nice picture of a sheep though.

Juicylucy Fri 28-Jan-22 14:34:46

I’m fine with it, it made me giggle and to be honest it’s getting everyone’s attention so it’s a clever bit of advertising. Children hear a lot worse at school.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 28-Jan-22 14:35:18

I welcome it as an attempt to persuade people to use a less offensive word than the one "flock" is replacing here.

In my childhood people said "drat it" instead of "damn" .

Ideally, I would like people not to swear - but doubt that will happen, so let's have some nice innocuous words.

FannyCornforth Fri 28-Jan-22 14:39:15

I still think that my slogan is better! smile

Rosina Fri 28-Jan-22 14:44:54

FannyCornforth I agree about 'FCUK'; I stood in a shop with another woman of about my age and we were both looking at T shirts, as it turned out for our Grandsons. She said much as she liked the T shirt she wasn't prepared to buy something with that logo, and neither was I. The ad is pretty silly too - doesn't bother me too much but not necessary - also just another example of aggressive 'in your face' shouty type advertising.

montymops Fri 28-Jan-22 14:58:05

Can’t say it bothers me - there are also quite a few pubs called The Cock - we have a very good one Near here with excellent food- never really thought about the name. It certainly wouldn’t bother my grandchildren - the teenagers might snigger but probably not - the younger ones wouldn’t give it a second look.