Gransnet forums

AIBU

Billboard advert - what do you think?

(123 Posts)
SuzyG Thu 27-Jan-22 10:00:55

I'm wondering how others feel about this billboard advert in our local supermarket car park please? Am I over-reacting because I don't like the example it sets to our grandchildren?

Alegrias1 Sat 29-Jan-22 15:40:30

so it just blends in with the rest.

Not this one.

We've just spent 4 pages talking about it grin

MissAdventure Sat 29-Jan-22 15:47:46

I guess it depends how uncomfortable the word "flock" makes you?
I prefer a cock to a flock, personally. grin

SuzyG Sat 29-Jan-22 18:41:59

Another thank you for lots of opinions and for comments that made me laugh. I feel so much better now smile.
Applegran - I did try calling the Estate Agents and was contacted by the lady who wrote the advert. She was quite aggressive and offended and told me she'd had it checked by several organisations. I simply said that she did need to accept that there would be differing opinions including mine. It's been great reading all the comments above, thank you again.

Dickens Sat 29-Jan-22 18:52:13

SuzyG

Another thank you for lots of opinions and for comments that made me laugh. I feel so much better now smile.
Applegran - I did try calling the Estate Agents and was contacted by the lady who wrote the advert. She was quite aggressive and offended and told me she'd had it checked by several organisations. I simply said that she did need to accept that there would be differing opinions including mine. It's been great reading all the comments above, thank you again.

Gosh, well done you for sticking your neck out - I admire people who do that!

I'm not that surprised the 'lady' was aggressive, the ad itself is a tad on the aggressive side... "oi, you, wot you looking at" style of comment. Innit! grin

PaperMonster Sat 29-Jan-22 19:00:23

It’s a bit of a lame advert but I don’t find it offensive or inappropriate for my child to look at. But I don’t have a problem with swear words.

SuzyG Sat 29-Jan-22 19:09:42

Thank you Dickens. She was very proud of it and I have a long neck smile

SuzyG Sun 01-May-22 18:05:23

I'm not sure anyone is still interested but thought I would let you know that >

www.asa.org.uk/rulings/lamb-co-property-ltd-A22-1142749.html

Not really important given all the terrible happenings in the world but a very small ripple in the pond?

Devorgilla Sun 01-May-22 20:23:30

The comment about children being told it is ok to swear in front of parents reminded me of a 'Penelope' or Jocasta' cartoon in the '80s, I think.
Child swears in front of parents. Child has friends over for play date. Child drops bread, jammy side down on floor, and starts to whine about it. Mother responds with "Tough Titty'. Child mortified as friends hear it. No more child swearing.

AussieNanna Mon 02-May-22 12:31:02

I'm not bothered by that ad in OP.

Iam64 Mon 02-May-22 13:28:09

Thanks SuzyG. I’m pleased the complaints were upheld.

Hithere Mon 02-May-22 13:35:31

It is clear people can take offense with anything

That ad was funny

Anybody has seen the latest cartoon movies for kids?
The amount of double entendre added to each movie is surprising.

SuzyG Mon 02-May-22 16:24:13

Thanks - Iam64. smile
I'm thinking of changing my name to Whitehouse..lol

Mattsmum2 Mon 02-May-22 16:30:37

FannyCornforth

We often drive past this pub (one of the best in Derbyshire).

Its sign always makes me smile, but it must instigate some very awkward child / parent conversations!

There’s a pub near to me called ‘The Dog Inn’ ?

Iam64 Mon 02-May-22 16:46:26

SuzyG - I’ve had the same thought

As for The Dog Inn, perfectly good name for a country pub till recent years

SuzyG Mon 02-May-22 17:30:17

The Dog Inn one made me smile too. I'm glad that I have grown up children and they know it all! wink

notgran Mon 02-May-22 18:36:29

SuzyG

I'm not sure anyone is still interested but thought I would let you know that >

www.asa.org.uk/rulings/lamb-co-property-ltd-A22-1142749.html

Not really important given all the terrible happenings in the world but a very small ripple in the pond?

Oh wow! So it was offensive? What the flock? grin

Iam64 Mon 02-May-22 18:47:10

Some people found it offensive. I thought it a strange way to advertise properties. Yes I’m Mary Whitehouse but I try t0 discourage foul language in my grandchildren

SuzyG Mon 02-May-22 19:06:59

Not gran/Iam64 - absolutely, although lots of people not happy with this but then, what's new? I do some social media moderation and know that most people like a good moan, me included!

Iam64 Mon 02-May-22 20:41:42

Plus luckily we all get offended about different things

timetogo2016 Tue 03-May-22 10:35:27

If it makes one person smile it`s fine by me.
I can`t see the point at taking offence at an inanimate object.

Goldbeater1 Tue 03-May-22 11:15:12

I was about to say the same thing - the FCuk thing really put me off French Connection for a long time. I swear like a trooper in my own home when I’m cross enough, but these adverts always strike me as crass. I find myself wondering if the ad agencies are employing ten year old schoolboys ...

Goldbeater1 Tue 03-May-22 11:18:02

Goldbeater1

I was about to say the same thing - the FCuk thing really put me off French Connection for a long time. I swear like a trooper in my own home when I’m cross enough, but these adverts always strike me as crass. I find myself wondering if the ad agencies are employing ten year old schoolboys ...

PS I don’t find these ads offensive, just really stupid and irritating.