Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that Kurt Zouma should be banned from keeping animals after abusing his cat?

(291 Posts)
DeeJaysMum Fri 11-Feb-22 17:08:06

Just that really.

I know someone who used to be a (hobby) cat breeder and had trouble with local kids who poisoned/killed a couple of their cats.

They involved the rspca who, because they couldn't 'prove exactly' which youth had done it, prosecuted them for not keeping their cats safe (despite them being on their property, in a locked pen and behind 2 locked gates).

The rspca seized this person's cats, went to court 9 months later, asked the court to make the breeder pay boarding fees for 14 cats for 9 months and to give them a ban. Fortunately the boarding fees weren't upheld but a fine and a ban for 5yrs was imposed.

This was a respectable breeder who followed all legislation and GCCF (cat version of Kennel Club) rules and did absolutely nothing wrong.

When I look at the abuse that Zouma committed, then compare it with this breeder, imo he deserves, at the very least, the same punishment handed down to the breeder.

The fact that he is a famous footballer should not mean that he or his pets should be treated any differently to the rest of us. His pets deserve to be treated with respect (the same as yours and mine) and he deserves to be punished in exactly the same way as anyone else would be.

Thoughts..

Shinamae Fri 11-Feb-22 20:50:19

Lizbethann55

Just seen on the news that David Moyes says that Zouma is available to be picked to play this weekend. It would appear that provided he can score goals for West Ham, the fact that he has been practising on his pet cat doesn't matter. I always thought David Moyes was a decent bloke. I was obviously wrong.

This is totally unacceptable, I presume they think this will just run its course and blow over, we must not let it!!

Shinamae Fri 11-Feb-22 20:58:23

I have been waiting to hear what Karen Brady says now here it is…????

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 11-Feb-22 21:47:53

DeeJaysMum

@Germanshepherdsmum

OP seems to think that keeping cats in a locked outdoor pen for breeding purposes is ok. I beg to differ.

I think you'll find that the majority of breeders keep their sires separately from their queens and usually in outdoor catteries or pens, partially so they don't impregnate queens when the breeder doesn't want it happening and because entire males spray to mark territory. No-one wants an entire male spraying all around the house.

I've known this person for a great many years and know exactly how well they cared for their cats, on this occasion there were 2 cats in the pen and a group of local youths had been intimidating the breeder, their child and causing criminal damage to the breeder's home, so it was pretty much a certainty that these youths were the culprits.

So no, the breeder was not at fault in any way, shape or form, the cats were, to all intents and purposes safe and secure, until the garden gate was kicked in and poison pushed through the bars of the pen.

Basically caged and kept solely to breed for profit. I don’t believe that is humane.

Callistemon21 Fri 11-Feb-22 22:16:51

Shinamae

How strange and what a contrast to the part she plays on The Apprentice - aiding and abetting firing people.

She obviously hasn't the guts or the inclination to say "You're fired" to Zouma as she thinks this thug helped fill the coffers at West Ham.
And why? Because he's good at kicking.

Dickens Fri 11-Feb-22 22:31:48

Shinamae

"I believe we live in a society where people value forgiveness and redemption"

... oh they do... if it involves big bucks... especially in the UK.

Meanwhile in France...

"international manager Didier Deschamps has called the video of Kurt Zouma attacking his pet cat "shocking" and warned he could drop the defender as a result." ("FOOTBALL LONDON")

DeeJaysMum Fri 11-Feb-22 23:22:16

@germanshepherdsmum

Basically caged and kept solely to breed for profit. I don’t believe that is humane.

Profit? This friend/breeder hasn't restarted breeding since the ban was lifted almost 6yrs ago but used to charge c£600 for a pedigree kitten (this breed of kitten is now selling for upwards of £1,500 each). By the time all expenses were taken out, there was a 'profit' of about 10%, not exactly enough to live on when you're looking at maybe 4 or 5 kittens per litter.
Also, just because 2 male weren't allowed to live in the house, doesn't mean they didn't get massive amounts of love and attention, my friend had 5 queens and 2 sires (plus 9 kittens from 2 litters) at the time in question, had deposits from new kitten owners and had paid all vet's fees, feeding, care etc, then rspca took them all and wouldn't let the kittens go to those who'd paid, so friend also had to refund everyone, ended up over£20k out of pocket with fine, repaying deposits, vet's fees and value of their own cats.
And I'll say it again, they did nothing wrong!

Harmonypuss Sat 12-Feb-22 02:44:23

@DeeJaysMum

I'm with you on this as I've been a cat breeder in the past and I really do feel for your friend. It seems as though the rspca don't like breeders, which I understand when you're talking about excessive or unethical breeding but those of us who have bred/ do breed responsibly seen to get battered by them unreasonably.

As for Zouma, he deserves having the book thrown at him as hard as possible. There's absolutely no excuse for abusing any animal, he should have a massive fine (not just the pittance his football team made him pay to a rescue organisation), a long (of not lifetime) ban from keeping any animal (if he can laugh about using a cat like a football, he'll do it to a dog, rabbit, etc) and preferably a custodial sentence that he can't buy his way out of or at the very least he should be put through the probation system for it.

I did originally think the brother who videos it was doing a good thing by 'outting' him but as I heard yesterday he's been suspended by his football club to because he too was laughing on the video, so my opinion now is that he should also be dragged through the legal system for not having done anything to stop his brother doing what he did!

SkyBird Sat 12-Feb-22 08:19:36

He should be prosecuted and at the very least be made to do Community Service. Preferably something public and demeaning. Fining people with huge incomes is too easy. West Ham, David Moyes and Baroness Karren Brady should hang their heads in shame.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Feb-22 09:10:48

You may think that it’s ok to treat a cat as an income-producing commodity. I don’t.

Shinamae Sat 12-Feb-22 10:13:36

SkyBird

He should be prosecuted and at the very least be made to do Community Service. Preferably something public and demeaning. Fining people with huge incomes is too easy. West Ham, David Moyes and Baroness Karren Brady should hang their heads in shame.

??????????

henetha Sat 12-Feb-22 10:23:34

It's vital, in my opinion, that he should be sacked and prosecuted, because if he is not what does that say to young people? It says that it's ok to behave like that towards animals.
They need to know that it is absolutely NOT alright. He cannot be allowed to get away with this.

henetha Sat 12-Feb-22 10:26:08

PS. Yes, I agree that Community Service would be a suitable punishment. Something very public and unpleasant.

Shinamae Sat 12-Feb-22 10:49:55

Apparently he has been okayed to be picked for tomorrow’s game with Leicester….. you couldn’t make it up!

MissAdventure Sat 12-Feb-22 10:50:58

They should let him play.
As the football.

Callistemon21 Sat 12-Feb-22 10:51:03

henetha

PS. Yes, I agree that Community Service would be a suitable punishment. Something very public and unpleasant.

Picking up dog poo?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 12-Feb-22 10:53:08

And cleaning public loos?

DeeJaysMum Sat 12-Feb-22 13:10:09

@Germanshepherdsmum

You may think that it’s ok to treat a cat as an income-producing commodity. I don’t.

I'm guessing by your screen name that you have a German Shepherd dog, hhmmmmm I wonder, did someone breed that or did it just fall out of the sky?

DeeJaysMum Sat 12-Feb-22 13:22:23

@DeeJaysMum

^@Germanshepherdsmum

I'm guessing by your screen name that you have a German Shepherd dog, hhmmmmm I wonder, did someone breed that or did it just fall out of the sky?^

If people didn't breed these (pedigree) animals, where would anyone get them from? You can't say rescue centres because there would be no pedigree or thoroughbred animals, only feral ones that get caught and put into these centres.

I really can't see how someone who owns a pedigree animal can slag off ALL breeders when their animal clearly had to have come from one!

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Feb-22 13:27:00

DeeJaysMum and Harmonypuss all reputable breeders care for their animals, it wouldn't make sense not too, if all they're interested in is making money, as the off spring wont be in good health if they fail to do so.

That's why animal lovers avoid puppy and kitten farms, seeking out good breeders and refusing to part with their money to line the pockets of those who care nothing for the breed.

Good suggestion MissAgrin.

Iam64 Sat 12-Feb-22 13:35:49

I have read the research Dickens refers to, that links animal abuse to abuse of children and partners. It’s well researched and was considered relevant as long ago as the early 1980’s. The Nspcc published recent research.

Yes, Zouma should be prosecuted, so should his thug of a brother. The fact he slapped the cat out of his child’s arms, before kicking it the length of the room, chasing it, makes this incident even more disturbing. What kind of home life are any children experiencing. If daddy behaves like this when the cat makes a mess -no one else better upset him.

Iam64 Sat 12-Feb-22 13:40:35

For what it’s worth, I don’t find the comparison made in the OP between the prosecution of what sounds like a puppy/kitten farm and violent physical abuse of a small furry creature helpful. The two issues are totally different.
Like germanshepherds mum, I have pedigree dogs. Two of them currently, after 40 years of rescuing various dogs, the arrival of small grandchildren meant we decided the potential risks rescues bring wouldn’t be wise. Our two different breeds came from k.c./champs registered breeders with excellent records in producing well bred, healthy, good temperament pups. Born and reared in their houses.

MissAdventure Sat 12-Feb-22 13:52:34

The RSPCA have issued a statement refuting what Moyes has said about a donation being made to them, or them arranging courses for the moron to attend. angry

Iam64 Sat 12-Feb-22 14:14:27

Miss A I seem to recall the phrase ‘animal charities’. The club said it would arrange the course to help Mr Zouma understand thst slapping, kicking and terrifying a tiny creature is abusive

So nothing to see hear, move on

MissAdventure Sat 12-Feb-22 14:21:26

I expect Moyes must have got it wrong then, because his statement said he thought the RSPCA were going to offer some courses.
We all know what thought did....

Smileless2012 Sat 12-Feb-22 14:43:38

Anyone who needs to go on a course to "understand that slapping, kicking and terrifying a tiny creature is abusive" has some serious issues.