Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that Kurt Zouma should be banned from keeping animals after abusing his cat?

(291 Posts)
DeeJaysMum Fri 11-Feb-22 17:08:06

Just that really.

I know someone who used to be a (hobby) cat breeder and had trouble with local kids who poisoned/killed a couple of their cats.

They involved the rspca who, because they couldn't 'prove exactly' which youth had done it, prosecuted them for not keeping their cats safe (despite them being on their property, in a locked pen and behind 2 locked gates).

The rspca seized this person's cats, went to court 9 months later, asked the court to make the breeder pay boarding fees for 14 cats for 9 months and to give them a ban. Fortunately the boarding fees weren't upheld but a fine and a ban for 5yrs was imposed.

This was a respectable breeder who followed all legislation and GCCF (cat version of Kennel Club) rules and did absolutely nothing wrong.

When I look at the abuse that Zouma committed, then compare it with this breeder, imo he deserves, at the very least, the same punishment handed down to the breeder.

The fact that he is a famous footballer should not mean that he or his pets should be treated any differently to the rest of us. His pets deserve to be treated with respect (the same as yours and mine) and he deserves to be punished in exactly the same way as anyone else would be.

Thoughts..

Shinamae Sat 12-Feb-22 14:46:15

MissAdventure

The RSPCA have issued a statement refuting what Moyes has said about a donation being made to them, or them arranging courses for the moron to attend. angry

Yes, that’s what I read Miss A.. they are all keeping very quiet about it hoping it will blow over and it’s up to us not to let it….?

MissAdventure Sat 12-Feb-22 14:54:15

I think Moyes has deliberately made it sound as if it's all being dealt with, and help has been sought very quickly to "help" the abuser with his problem.

M0ira Sat 12-Feb-22 15:02:01

What is very worrying is the fact that people who mistreat their pets often go onto mistreat humans.
Mistreatment of anything living is to be deplored no matter whoever you are!

lavendermine Sat 12-Feb-22 15:12:29

I agree MissA I will keep emailing West Ham and the RSPCA. What an absolute disgrace it is and so very upsetting.
I believe he will be on the pitch today!! Unbelievable.

Shinamae Sat 12-Feb-22 16:22:01

lavendermine

I agree MissA I will keep emailing West Ham and the RSPCA. What an absolute disgrace it is and so very upsetting.
I believe he will be on the pitch today!! Unbelievable.

I think he is actually on the bench but might be picked to play tomorrow against Leicester…. I emailed West Ham a few days ago and told them how disgusted I was but as yet no reply, hopefully that is because they are inundated with emails about this very subject

Iam64 Sat 12-Feb-22 18:37:45

I’ve emailed WestHam as well. No response yet. Does this need a high profile animal welfare activist to make a noise. I’m not comparing rape with animal abuse but Val McDermid and the women;s team stopped David Goodwillie’ s employment.

Mind as we know, there are established research links between those who abuse animals also abusing people.

Shinamae Sat 12-Feb-22 19:01:44

Well Bridget Bardot is definitely involved and she is a real animal activist/protector… I am working tomorrow afternoon not sure what time the Leicester game is but I will be interested to see the reception he gets again, that’s if they play him, they might not… I am totally disgusted with Karen Brady just saying……????

TheOtherCatsMother Sat 12-Feb-22 19:51:36

Football is all about the money. Nothing stands in the way of big business not even animal cruelty. I am sure in the real world none of his team mates or managers would give him the time of day.

I want a front row ticket for the cage fight, heck I would go in there and kick his ar**.

DeeJaysMum Sat 12-Feb-22 20:06:10

Exactly @Smileless2012

^all reputable breeders care for their animals, it wouldn't make sense not too, if all they're interested in is making money, as the off spring wont be in good health if they fail to do so.

That's why animal lovers avoid puppy and kitten farms, seeking out good breeders and refusing to part with their money to line the pockets of those who care nothing for the breed.^

My friend was an extremely reputable breeder, one of the top few in the WM for her breed but when she and her cats were targeted by a group of youths who killed 2 of her cats, the rspca took her to court and she done nothing wrong.

I'm just amazed that a PP who clearly owns a pedigree dog can be so dead set against ALL breeders.

That aside, the original point of the thread was regarding Zouma and I used my INNOCENT friend's case as a comparison to highlight what I consider to be the absolute BARE MINIMUM he should be subjected to.

Shinamae Sat 12-Feb-22 20:27:28

This..

DeeJaysMum Sat 12-Feb-22 20:49:38

@Iam64

For what it’s worth, I don’t find the comparison made in the OP between the prosecution of what sounds like a puppy/kitten farm and violent physical abuse of a small furry creature helpful. The two issues are totally different.

The original comparison was to highlight what sort of prosecution the rspca put my INNOCENT friend through when someone else entered her back garden and killed 2 of her cats.

Also, my friend did NOT run a kitten farm by any stretch of anyone's imagination, she was an amazing person who only started breeding because she wanted others to be able to experience the amazing breed of cat she owned. She was definitely a bit of a self-confessed 'mad cat lady' as she did have 7 adult cats (2m,5f).

If anyone thinks that 5 female cats producing 4 or 5 kittens each, twice in 3 years (total of 45-50 kittens), bringing in a profit of approx £2,700-3,000 over the 3yr period, equates to a 'kitten farm', they don't have a clue, a kitten farm would be pulling in at least that every WEEK, not the average £20/week my friend's breeding earned her for all the hard work she put into her cats.

Before she started breeding, she did her homework, got registered as an officially recognised breeder with the GCCF, had all health checks done on her cats before she did a single thing. She showed her cats too, so had plenty of rosettes from them winning their classes at shows around the country, which in itself is a very expensive pastime.

Each queen only had a litter every 18 months, they were definitely not overbred as they are in kitten farms.

My friend was one of the great breeders, caring, considerate, loved her cats, carried out loads of checks on prospective owners etc.

She was extremely well-loved on the show circuit and in breeding circles. Many of her kittens' families are still in contact well over a decade after she was forced to give up breeding and is regularly asked to start again. She won't because her experiences with the thugs and the rspca were too harrowing for her and she would be terrified that the same thing could happen again as these thugs still live in the area but are just another 12 years older now.

So no, the OP wasn't about a kitten farm but an extremely caring lady who was dragged through the courts by the rspca through no fault of her own. If the rspca can do this to her, they need to be throwing the book at this obnoxious footballer but I suspect he'll just get a slap on the wrist because of 'who' he is.

Farzanah Sat 12-Feb-22 20:52:35

We are such a hypocritical nation. We are sentimental about animals but eat them and feed our pets animals (made into feed). What is wrong with us?
I don’t condone animal cruelty at all but we have to be consistent.
What’s the difference between eating a cat or dog and cow or sheep?

Shinamae Sat 12-Feb-22 21:22:33

Farzanah

We are such a hypocritical nation. We are sentimental about animals but eat them and feed our pets animals (made into feed). What is wrong with us?

We are not here talking about eating animals we are here talking about cruelty to animals!!!

LilyoftheValley Sat 12-Feb-22 23:28:53

Life ban on keeping any animals.

vegansrock Sun 13-Feb-22 07:06:24

Animal welfare in this country is a joke. People like to think we have high welfare standards but there are so few prosecutions despite masses of undercover filming. It’s only when something like this gets in the public eye that there is a fuss made, and even then very little is done. I could post on here horrendous examples of cruelty in the U.K. , butI won’t as you wouldn’t want to see them and nor would I, so it’s all just swept under the carpet.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Feb-22 07:55:59

I haven’t read the full thread, but from lots of personal experience, I can say that the RSPCA are a dead loss, and annoyingly almost literally made of money.

They were discussing on LBC this morning whether this will just eventually ‘blow over’.
I cannot see that happening at all.
It will be interesting to see what happens at Leicester today.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Feb-22 07:59:15

Farzanah

Unfortunately it’s human nature.
We are all hypocrites to one extent or another.
And we are sentimental creatures. It’s in our biology. Most of us have a nurturing impulse and react to protect the innocent.

Sarnia Sun 13-Feb-22 08:32:16

Shinamae

I have been waiting to hear what Karen Brady says now here it is…????

Dreadful response. At the very least he should be suspended while the Police and RSPCA continue with their investigations. West Ham Utd are normally a mid-table team so being 4th in the league at the moment has the potential to open some very lucrative doors to them and that is what Brady's response is all about. Money, league position and trophies are far more important than kicking a cat. She won't come out and say that directly but read between the lines and that's exactly what she's said. Zouma is one of their best players and I fully expect him to play against Leicester City today.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Feb-22 08:48:18

The match is on Sky at 4.30

lavendermine Sun 13-Feb-22 10:00:20

I have today email West Ham again and also the Football Association.

Moyes and Brady are an absolute disgrace. Moyes should be fired.

I hope the legal route taken by Bridge Bardot's Association is successful and this moron is sent back to France. We DO NOT want him here.

Shinamae Sun 13-Feb-22 10:03:04

lavendermine

I have today email West Ham again and also the Football Association.

Moyes and Brady are an absolute disgrace. Moyes should be fired.

I hope the legal route taken by Bridge Bardot's Association is successful and this moron is sent back to France. We DO NOT want him here.

I totally agree ????????

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Feb-22 10:03:46

Moyes definitely hasn’t done himself any favours.
I think that this has the potential to backfire for him big style?

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Feb-22 10:04:23

So do I Shinamae

lavendermine Sun 13-Feb-22 10:06:21

Good grief, I have just read that Moyes has said he will play that moron today, what a disgrace he is.

Farzanah Sun 13-Feb-22 10:14:56

I do agree with you FannyC it’s what humans are like and of course I am no better.
However as a carnivore I am currently wrestling with my conscience about eating other sentient beings, and I have become more aware of our double standards.
Shinamae. I am struggling with the idea that breeding animals purely to feed us is not cruel.