Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this is odd in view of what’s already been said

(166 Posts)
Pammie1 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:16:46

News has just broken that Prince Andrew has settled out of court with Virginia Giuffre Two things puzzle me. Andrew has vehemently stated his innocence and opted for trial by jury (although Virginia Giuffre opted for this as the plaintiff, so I don’t think he had much choice) so what does he have to gain by settling ? And Giuffre has always been adamant that it wasn’t about money, but that she wanted to prove that no one was above the law. What do we think changed ?

silverlining48 Tue 15-Feb-22 17:01:46

Generally innocent people do not pay off their accuser. Given his close friendship with Epstein and Maxwell, both found guilty of sexual offences against young girls and the dreadful tv interview I believe him to be guilty. She was underage.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 15-Feb-22 17:01:56

Yes there is Smileless.

VioletSky Tue 15-Feb-22 17:03:38

Well, he has paid dearly for his crimes as it should be.

M0nica Tue 15-Feb-22 17:07:06

I suspect tha PA, just wanted it over and done with. Full stop - and reaching an out of court settlement is the best way to do it.

His reputation has been so trashed over the last couple of years, that even if he had been criminally convicted, his reputation could not fall lower.

Bridgeit Tue 15-Feb-22 17:10:55

Not so much a puzzle , more a case of time to put it to rest.
Well let’s bl- - - y hope so.

Callistemon21 Tue 15-Feb-22 17:13:30

I do hope that she and her family have not been threatened.

Not by Prince Andrew or the Royal Family but by other powerful people hiding in the shadows.

Peasblossom Tue 15-Feb-22 17:16:02

As I’ve said on another thread, she has litigation against other men in the pipeline.

Any question that she faked the photo would affect the outcome if those actions.

Blossoming Tue 15-Feb-22 17:16:06

Petera

MissAdventure

I don't think anything has changed.
His payment is an admission of guilt, as far as I'm concerned, which is what she wanted.

Also his payment is to her charity. I expect she'll be able to access this for reasonable expenses in running the charity; but it's hardly the bonanza that some people were claiming she was after.

Yes, I agree.

tickingbird Tue 15-Feb-22 17:22:10

Callistemon. I do hope that she and her family have not been threatened

I think if any of that was going on it would have happened a long time ago. The damage has already been done.

GillT57 Tue 15-Feb-22 17:37:35

MissAdventure

In my vast experience of legal processes (meaning I watch a lot of youtube videos, so have none at all! ) civil cases are often the only redress people have, with regards to getting some sort of an admission, when the legal system is against them.

Yes I believe the rape charges against the Raith rovers footballer was a civil case due to difficulties in bringing a criminal prosecution.

Elizabeth27 Tue 15-Feb-22 18:20:44

If someone accused me of a crime I did not commit I would not pay compensation to make it go away.

annodomini Tue 15-Feb-22 18:36:22

I think that Andrew has realised how frail the Queen has become recently and has decided to spare her any more embarrassment.

Deedaa Tue 15-Feb-22 18:48:59

The problem with a civil case is that it doesn't require the same level of proof. I knew someone who would have been much better off settling in a case that would never have stood up in a police court. Losing the photo is interesting, you'd think she might have kept hold of it as a souvenir if nothing else.

Pantglas2 Tue 15-Feb-22 18:49:24

Elizabeth27

If someone accused me of a crime I did not commit I would not pay compensation to make it go away.

Agreed, and if someone offered me money to shut up about how they’d harmed me, no amount would keep me quiet.

There are two ways to look at this development and we’ll never know which is right.

Granniesunite Tue 15-Feb-22 18:56:11

Think about it ladies . The power of the best the law can provide! Would you give in if you knew you were innocent . Makes no sense to capitulate if you don’t need to.

Patsy70 Tue 15-Feb-22 19:06:00

It is all very sordid and I agree that his payment is an admission of guilt. However, the legal system is so complex, but if I was innocent I’d scream it from the hill tops!

varian Tue 15-Feb-22 19:10:31

We live near a naval air station and there has always been a lot of interest when members of the RF have been posted there.

When Prince Charles was posted there there were no rumours of mis-behaviour. A young woman I knew, the wife of a naval officer who was away at the time, was invited to be Prince Charles's partner at a dinner. She told me that his behaviour was very gentelmanly - beyond reproach.

Fast forward ten year to when Prince Andrew was stationed at the same naval base - he was known throughout the district as "Randy Andy"

M0nica Tue 15-Feb-22 19:16:03

Varian We have close friends in the navy and, unlike Prince Harry who was a popular and well respected member of the armed forces when he was in the army. Prince Andrew was universally disliked. He was considered arrogant, rude and thick.

lemsip Tue 15-Feb-22 19:20:26

He was ordered to settle by charles;.

Prince Andrew settles sex case with Virginia Roberts 'for £7.5million' after exasperated Charles orders him to agree payout before Queen's Platinum Jubilee:

silverlining48 Tue 15-Feb-22 19:28:10

Varian, yes he was. I think i posted that on the other thread. He has never been respected. Randy Andy indeed.

Grandnana Tue 15-Feb-22 20:16:37

MissAdventure

I don't think anything has changed.
His payment is an admission of guilt, as far as I'm concerned, which is what she wanted.

Agree with you entirely.

Grandnana Tue 15-Feb-22 20:20:08

silverlining48

Generally innocent people do not pay off their accuser. Given his close friendship with Epstein and Maxwell, both found guilty of sexual offences against young girls and the dreadful tv interview I believe him to be guilty. She was underage.

Yup.

ValerieF Tue 15-Feb-22 20:29:50

Am I the only one sick of it all? Nobody apart from the people involved know exactly what happened and one of them seems vague at best. Seems to me to be guilty by association more than actual deed but am looking at it from the little info I know. I am glad that, for the Queen’s sake, they have settled out of court and I hope, for my sake, it’s the last we hear of it ?.

Smileless2012 Tue 15-Feb-22 21:08:36

I hope so too Valerie.

trisher Tue 15-Feb-22 21:28:31

I just wonder who is giving him the money Charles or Mummy?