Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think this is odd in view of what’s already been said

(166 Posts)
Pammie1 Tue 15-Feb-22 16:16:46

News has just broken that Prince Andrew has settled out of court with Virginia Giuffre Two things puzzle me. Andrew has vehemently stated his innocence and opted for trial by jury (although Virginia Giuffre opted for this as the plaintiff, so I don’t think he had much choice) so what does he have to gain by settling ? And Giuffre has always been adamant that it wasn’t about money, but that she wanted to prove that no one was above the law. What do we think changed ?

Galaxy Tue 22-Feb-22 13:15:27

Legislation varies with regard to age of consent even in the UK. So for example if someone is 17 and you film sexual activity you will go to jail.

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:15:28

Shame they don’t apply this to all the children of various immigrants in this country. Roma marry very young 13-14. I lived next door to one such couple and other ethnicities in this country regularly ‘marry’ and give birth below 16 never mind 18!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 13:15:42

Of course not Petera. She was above the age of consent here as I’m sure you know. I just commented that he’s not a paedophile, a description often used.

JaneJudge Tue 22-Feb-22 13:17:26

This thread or the crimes committed has nothing to do with Roma families

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 13:18:18

Not a child under English law for the purposes of consensual sex.

JaneJudge Tue 22-Feb-22 13:18:36

Hebephilia and ephebophilia

Hebephilia is the term used to describe a preferential sexual interest in pubescent (i.e. early adolescent) individuals, rather than adult partners. As with paedophilia, it is not a term that would be applied to under-16s. A related term is ephebophilia, used to describe a preferential sexual interest in adolescent individuals (usually mid-late teens).

Hebephilia and ephebophilia are not formally defined as specific clinical disorders, but if the focus of the sexual preference leads to problematic behaviour and/or emotional distress, and if these problems are persistent (more than 6 months), they would likely meet ICD-10 criteria for disorders of sexual preference. This would need to be assessed by a professional.

Petera Tue 22-Feb-22 13:19:52

Germanshepherdsmum

Of course not Petera. She was above the age of consent here as I’m sure you know. I just commented that he’s not a paedophile, a description often used.

Paedophile: someone who is sexually attracted to children (I cannot find a dictionary that qualifies this as young children)

Child: in England someone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday.

This is not and never has been, as I'm sure you know, about the age of consent.

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:20:57

JaneJudge. You don’t decide what can or can’t be posted on this thread regardless of your name!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 13:21:01

JaneJudge

Is procurement of under 18s from other countries for prostitution legal in the UK?

Yes but I don’t think he did any procuring. That was Epstein and Maxwell.

Also Jane he wasn’t married at the time as you say, he was divorced.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Feb-22 13:22:18

Having sex with someone you know to have been trafficked is illegal, as far as I know.
The age is irrelevant.

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:22:54

Paedophile: someone who is sexually attracted to children (I cannot find a dictionary that qualifies this as young children).

The clue is in the word ‘children’. I’m not aware of old children.

JaneJudge Tue 22-Feb-22 13:23:39

MissAdventure

Having sex with someone you know to have been trafficked is illegal, as far as I know.
The age is irrelevant.

I thought so too

and actually tickingbord I can as it breaks GN guidelines to single out a specific ethnic group (especially when it has nothing to do with the discussion)

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:24:48

The age is irrelevant.

The age is relevant when it relates to paedophilia.

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 13:27:27

The UN's definition of a child is immaterial Petera when in the UK the legal age of consent is 16.

I agree MissA that the age of someone known to have been trafficked for sex is irrelevant, because that is an illegal act.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Feb-22 13:28:03

Yes, of course it is.
That is just splitting hairs, though, as far as I'm concerned

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 13:28:22

Yes, good point tickingbird.

Petera Tue 22-Feb-22 13:31:43

Smileless2012

The UN's definition of a child is immaterial Petera when in the UK the legal age of consent is 16.

I agree MissA that the age of someone known to have been trafficked for sex is irrelevant, because that is an illegal act.

Arghh..the definition in England is 18.

The age of consent and the age when you stop being a child are two different things.

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:32:01

and actually tickingbord I can as it breaks GN guidelines to single out a specific ethnic group (especially when it has nothing to do with the discussion)

It had everything to do with the discussion when someone quotes a law stating that a child is classified as such until the age of 18. I quite correctly asked why that can only be interpreted when discussing PA being a paedophile and why it isn’t causing such outrage when it’s common for Roma and other ethnicities to marry and have children when far younger, IN the UK.

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:33:03

Miss Adventure. I’m not defending PA

tickingbird Tue 22-Feb-22 13:35:55

The age of consent and the age when you stop being a child are two different things

Not in law.

MissAdventure Tue 22-Feb-22 13:38:01

I didn't imagine you would be defending him, tickingbird. smile

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 13:38:49

Exactly Petera they are different, so they should not be conflated when talking about paedophilia and consensual sex. Anyone having consensual sex with someone of the age of 16, who has not been trafficked, is not breaking the law so cannot be classed as a paedophile.

Petera Tue 22-Feb-22 13:46:11

tickingbird

*The age of consent and the age when you stop being a child are two different things*

Not in law.

Yes in law. I'm sure GSM, as an ex-lawyer, can confirm.

And I repeat in even more detail:

^England

In England a child is defined as anyone who has not yet reached their 18th birthday. Child protection guidance points out that even if a child has reached 16 years of age and is:

living independently
in further education
a member of the armed forces
in hospital; or
in custody in the secure estate

they are still legally children and should be given the same protection and entitlements as any other child (Department for Education, 2018a).^

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 22-Feb-22 14:11:11

Under English law the age of consent for consensual sex is 16 but the age at which one ceases to be a minor and achieves majority is 18. A ‘child’ has various definitions under different statutes.

Smileless2012 Tue 22-Feb-22 14:12:10

I'm sure we are all aware of the definition of a child Petera as we are all aware that it is not an act of paedophilia to have consensual sex with an untrafficked person between the ages of 16 and 18.