Gransnet forums

AIBU

Launderettes.

(34 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 21-Feb-22 08:29:34

We are fortunate to have a launderette in our small market town, and I occasionally use it to wash and dry our duvets, too big for my machine.

But I feel somewhat put off after reading comments on our local Facebook page. It seems that people are using the machines to wash ‘dog blankets and worse’.

I have no pets myself, and fully accept that the bedding needs washing. Also that, yes, the launderette is for public use. Just seems a pity that the pet owners obviously don’t want to use their own washers for this purpose, but don’t give a thought to others who need them to do their own regular laundry and probably have no alternative.

Iam64 Mon 21-Feb-22 08:31:05

What’s the problem?
I was my dog beds and towels in my washing machine, then our own washing. It’s all clean and hunky dory.

Calendargirl Mon 21-Feb-22 08:36:37

Iam64

I have no problem with you. You wash your pet bedding in your own machine, at home.

Just wish others did.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Feb-22 08:53:39

Not sure it’s possible to police what folks put into washing machines at launderettes.

Surely the hot water and cleaning products clean the machine whilst washing clothes. The filters have to be cleaned out regularly, no chance of animal hairs ending up on your washing.

There are people who do dirty jobs who’s clothes could be contaminated with all sorts of nasties are they to be prevented from using launderettes?

Sago Mon 21-Feb-22 09:01:15

We have a drive through launderette near us on a petrol station forecourt, I have used them for duvets but I do feel a little put off when I see horse rugs being pulled out.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 21-Feb-22 09:11:07

Some people don’t have a washing machine at home and rely on the launderette. I wash my dog’s bedding in our machine, separately of course, and there’s nothing nasty left in the machine to contaminate the next load.

Bibbity Mon 21-Feb-22 09:24:30

YABU. If that's the worst that is going in those washing machines I'd be very grateful. Doubt it is.

But also you're being a bit ridiculous. It's a washing machine if maintained properly then they should be clean. With no dogs residue.

MayBeMaw Mon 21-Feb-22 10:09:08

I think the clue is in the name “washing machine” - it washes things and gets them clean.
Do you have a similar objection to greasy overalls or other work clothes?
Perhaps those people don't have a washing machine or drying facilities? Seems unnecessarily picky for what is a public facility.

Peasblossom Mon 21-Feb-22 10:17:18

I don’t do pets of any kind. Not my thing.

But I can’t see a problem. The machine will be clean won’t it, after all that water and soap swilling about? Like it gets rid of the mites, sweat and skin in duvets?

JaneJudge Mon 21-Feb-22 10:18:57

I must be unusual then as when i was my dogs bedding there is hair left in the machine. I have to use a baby wipe to get it all out and then do an empty wash

Calendargirl Mon 21-Feb-22 10:32:02

JaneJudge

I must be unusual then as when i was my dogs bedding there is hair left in the machine. I have to use a baby wipe to get it all out and then do an empty wash

Thanks JaneJudge for your comment.

I posted this under AIBU, and obviously I am!

But Jane’s remark about dog hair is what prompted me to add this, as according to the local community page, this is the least of what appears in the machines. Apparently, the bin in the launderette was used as a toilet by someone, so yes, I do wonder what goes in the machines.

And no MawBeMaw, I don’t object to greasy or dirty work overalls. I have washed plenty of my husband’s.

Believe me, if I could fit my duvets in my own washing machine, I would do them myself.

I am sure many people just throw away their used duvets as it is more cost effective to buy a cheapish new one than to keep washing and drying them, but I try and re-use as much as possible. Ditto taking them to be professionally laundered, quite expensive.

Coastpath Mon 21-Feb-22 10:40:41

There's a big sign up in our local laundrette saying 'No Horse Blankets'.

After I wash my dogs blankets I have to do the same as JaneJudge..but I do have a dog who sheds enough hair each day to make another dog.

I love the names people give laundrettes. I saw one in London last week called Bobo's Bubbles.

Kamiso Mon 21-Feb-22 10:43:33

Our duvet covers are super king size and a real problem to get dry since we moved into our ground floor flat.

OH took two to the dry cleaners/laundry service he used to take his work suits to. Came back washed, dried and even ironed beautifully for £8.50.

In the past when using the launderette we’ve got through more than £10+. The spin speed is very low so takes several goes to get items dried and, no matter what time of day we went, there was always a wait for the machines.

nightowl Mon 21-Feb-22 11:06:36

Coastpath I wish there was a similar sign in our local launderette. Many people seem to wash horse rugs in there, and the smell in the dryers afterwards is very strong. I have regularly heard horse people say they take their rugs to the launderette as they wouldn’t choose to wash and dry them in their own machines. So I agree with the OP, and sympathise with people who have no choice but to use a launderette for their own laundry.

Elizabeth27 Mon 21-Feb-22 11:40:34

Were you happy with your duvets before you knew?

I have washed items with vomit on them, it didn’t mean I got rid of the machine after.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 21-Feb-22 11:50:25

Yes, I guess we’ve all done that!

grannyrebel7 Mon 21-Feb-22 11:54:09

At least it would be clean dogs' hair smile Sorry couldn't resist that smile

sodapop Mon 21-Feb-22 13:00:28

I do the same thing JaneJudge after washing the dogs bedding. My machine has an auto clean cycle which does a quick wash through at a higher temperature.
A local launderette has a machine specifically for animal bedding etc.
We have several drive in launderettes here in France, usually in the car parks of supermarkets.

Calendargirl Mon 21-Feb-22 13:21:26

Thanks nightowl, glad it’s not just me!

And Elizabeth27, yes, I was satisfied with my duvets before, but now the vision of hairy pet bedding and horse blankets is in my mind, and it puts me off!

Chestnut Mon 21-Feb-22 15:05:45

It sounds pretty gruesome if animal hair is picked up on your duvet, and I guess there's no guarantee this won't happen. You assume people will de-hair the item before washing it but some people are lazy and won't care. I don't think they should be allowed to dry animal blankets in the tumble drier at all, that is really not on. Any hairs left behind will be picked up by the next person.

Maybe the answer is to use single duvets (one for each person) then they will fit into a home machine. Just a suggestion.

Tizliz Mon 21-Feb-22 16:32:59

JaneJudge

I agree, I always clean the seal and drum then do a rinse programme. My dogs are very hairy and even then I find hairs on some clothes. Last time I used a launderette they had a separate machine for dog blankets.

PaperMonster Mon 21-Feb-22 17:35:24

The one I go to to use the tumble dryer asks that you don’t put any pet bedding in. Whether people take notice or not I don’t know!

tiredoldwoman Mon 21-Feb-22 17:40:22

My friend used to work in a laundrette and had to refuse a kennel from using them . They were finding full poop bags swirling about their machines .

Calendargirl Mon 21-Feb-22 17:54:52

tiredoldwoman

My friend used to work in a laundrette and had to refuse a kennel from using them . They were finding full poop bags swirling about their machines .

To quote Margot Leadbetter,

“I rest my case!”

NotTooOld Mon 21-Feb-22 17:57:49

Sago

We have a drive through launderette near us on a petrol station forecourt, I have used them for duvets but I do feel a little put off when I see horse rugs being pulled out.

I'm still wondering how a 'drive through' launderette works?
grin grin grin